Reverse Marriage of Gravity

P

ProfessorKenpo

What are everyone else's thoughts on this term? I think this should spark some discussion. Me, I kinda like the term of Trebuchet effect as opposed to reverse MOG for my students.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
S

Sandor

This is one of those terms that our anal retentive attention to detail just takes too far :)

I prefer DOG hehe Divorce Of Gravity... yuk yuk

Peace,
Sandor

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Thank Ahura-Mazda, sanity. I've nothing to offer by way of definition, though I like the bit about the trebuchet--no, it ain't a catapult--which is why it was precisely the right image. damn--I almost think I get it now, and I've wondered about this one for a year and a half.

Thanks, Clyde! It's you go up as they go down--or am I lost again? Who's which end of the medieval siege weapon?

Did you see the "Nova," episode with the American, Brit, Scots, and French teams of drunks competing to build said trebuchet and knock down a wall first?

Thankss!

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Thanks, again. But the problem, Sandor, is not our, "anal retentive attention to detail." (It may be mine, but not, "our.") It's the pretentiousness that occupies so much of kenpo talk--and if I'm complaining about pretentiousness, it's gotta be bad.

Still, I'm glad to know that I didn't completely misunderstand.

The chief example of reverse marriage of gravity I can come up with lies in the extension to Obscure Wing--would it also appear in Marriage of the Rams? in the horrible old yellow technique, whose name I keep forgetting, that ends with the knee to the face and the elbow to the back of the neck?

Thanks.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't recall ever hearing "trebuchet" before and this website was incomprehensible to me, being in a hurry at 1:00am
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/6461/8_fig8_9.html

However, I was taught that the heel kick in Scraping Hoof was "reverse marriage of gravity" and I thought it was because that you were striking up as you sink, instead of striking down while you sink which gives you "marriage of gravity."

I guess this makes as good a post as any for my 200th so hurray!I'm a Blue Belt on Martial Talk now and I got it for making a technical point and not a smiley.

Regarding pretentiousness and anal retentiveness, I think my definition makes the most sense, but I don't have the books or anything to back me up. If so, this is a case where the term conveys the proper message despite the technicality involved.

Mr. Parker invented terms to help us understand each other and communicate concepts... otherwise we could all just talk about how to hit someone. I have met people with less understanding of the terminology than I have and often they can improve their techniques with a more thorough explanation.

And I'm NOT claiming to be a walking Kenpo encyclopedia. Mr. C has a far better grasp on all this than I do, and some of you are obviously more familiar with other terms and anaolgies than I am.

I'm just saying that if you were sharing a box of 64 Crayons, you would not likely say "give me the dark one" and expect to get what you want. So terms are good and the confusion on this thread proves that they can improve both teaching and general communication. I think Clyde has pointed this out rather well judging by his question and our varied responses.

:asian:

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Reverse Marriage of Gravity??? I have never heard that phrase before. Can someone post a brief description of what it is. I know what Marriage of Gravity is but the reverse part is throwing me off.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Wolf
Reverse Marriage of Gravity? Can someone post a brief description of what it is?
to describe the action of dropping with your left leg as you shoot a right heel kick to the opponents leg with the left. He termed it "reverse marriage of gravity"

I told him I didn't like the term "reverse marriage of gravity" either and he said fine.... then what would you call it? ...... I didn't come up with a specific term other than "simultaneous action" you are dropping with your left leg (marriage of gravity) while kicking upward with your right heel to the left knee of your opponent (fighting gravity).

In my opinion no matter what you term it...... "Reverse Marriage of Gravity" is not the term needed.

:asian:

Latest Discussions