MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]zhrdAe913D8[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fine....

I guess the main thing is how he really doesn't seem sure of what on earth he's meant to be doing, then that's coupled with very inefficient cutting, no real balance with the weapon, bad and over-balanced postures, sword often in out-of-use positions, and far far more. Again, not a really good example of much, especially of what Toshindo can offer I feel.

You're just trying to bait me with some of these, aren't you Bob?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope. I'm pulling what look to my not too experienced eye to be reasonably decent clips. I depend on the experienced eyes like yours to help me tune in better on what's good. If I post something, and you know of a much better clip, please feel free to tack it on as a comparison, or post separately. :asian:

Rewatching this clip, I can see some hesitation at points, nothing too 'obvious', just not as polished as one might expect. Course, it's alot better than what I could put out right now.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good Kenjutsu clips? Okay.

[yt]Z7LDXpAohjQ[/yt] Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu

[yt]nlfb5Maq2I8[/yt] Great clip of Otake Sensei teaching Nanatsu no Tachi, as well as a range of other Katori Shinto Ryu teachings.

[yt]MSeoKRi1kYU[/yt] Part two of the above.

[yt]zn-p19C8MAQ[/yt] Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, showing their particular safety equipment.

[yt]gFjbxa6YsUc[/yt] Kashima Shinryu, another absolute favourite of mine.

You may notice that these clips are rather devoid of any flash. Real swordsmanship is by necessity direct, without any such overt actions as seen in a few of these clips. Such things simply show a lack of understanding of the weapon and it's use. Not uncommon, but still not correct. Enjoy!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great clips. I did a quick edit to embed them, hope that's ok?

Thanks for sharing.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm, don't think that embedding worked, there Bob.... might be better to leave them as urls....

Embedding has worked fine for me so far...I've watched the top vid now going on to the others.

Bob...if this is what happens when you bait Chris, I hope you keep the bait coming :) :)

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chris is like a trout, he'll snap at anything, I'm more like a pike, I'll look at your bait and say to no one in particular, "you want me to do what? yeah right....":)

BTW, I was willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt for a bit, but about 10 seconds in I realized he has no clue as to a proper strike, grip, balance, technique, or just about anything.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, at least he was holding the right end? We can at least be grateful for that, huh Ken? Okay, that might not really be enough....

And what do you mean I'll snap at anything? I've been rather restrained of late, I'll have you know.... but, uh, yeah. Fair point. Now, your favourite Kenjutsu clips, if you would be so kind?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't the first lesson "Sharp end go in opponent,you hold round not sharp end?" :D

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, at least he was holding the right end? We can at least be grateful for that, huh Ken? Okay, that might not really be enough....

And what do you mean I'll snap at anything? I've been rather restrained of late, I'll have you know.... but, uh, yeah. Fair point. Now, your favourite Kenjutsu clips, if you would be so kind?

I have tonnes of DVD's and VHS laying about with what i consider many great sensei, but I have a bais. I have had the privilege to have trained with some of the best iaido, jodo and kenjitsu sensei that the world has ever seen. Sadly some have passed on, some no longer practice, and some I still train with. I think in 20 or 30 years I will look back on this time as my golden age of the JSA.

Jodo:

Iaido: Over on another forum I think there is a link to the video's, but take your pick from the stills here, http://jeffsbudoblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/tokyo-iaido-taikai.html

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lol:

I saw that Cap'n Bob was starting to put up video's of sword-work and now I am home I can watch them {Net Nannie says "No!" when I'm at work}.

For once Net Nannie was right. As an example of what happens when people dress up in funny clothes and wave sticks about the OP is not too bad - it can act as a form of "What not to do".

In almost every respect what was in the OP video was not JSA {"almost" because he didn't fall over and was holding it at the right end :lol:}.

Latest Discussions