Kajukenbo Clips

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Kajukenbo black belt showing a TKD black belt the effectiveness of hand techniques and low kicks :wink1: :

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very cool. I would venture to say that is definately above the norm.

Yea, the kid probably had black diapers. His grandfather is a grandmaster, his mother and 5 uncles are black belts. He had a gi on long before a t-ball uniform.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yea, the kid probably had black diapers. His grandfather is a grandmaster, his mother and 5 uncles are black belts. He had a gi on long before a t-ball uniform.

Well, in any case, impressive that a kid that young would have the skills to keep two people at bay for that long. Very nice.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
GM Rick Kingi and GM Carlos Bunda

[yt]ZN2XHpLZ8w0[/yt]

Kaju form

[yt]1ooFmWuLsSU[/yt]

Prof. John Bono

[yt]ZZ2XdGYySDQ[/yt]

I love this thread. Thank you for the kaju form! What is it called in kajukenbo...i have learned it from Shihan who has it from Prof.Kimo

Respectfully,
Marlon

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The form is Palama Set (Pinan) 1. The Leoning variation being done has a couple additional moves.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

this is called palama set 8 on youtube. It apears to me tha t the skk kata 3 was derived from this kicking form as it has most of the key kicking sequences in it.

Respectfully,
Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is limpo? Where did it originate? What does it teach? The hand movements are very specific, how do they relate to fighting?

Respectfully,
Marlon

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is limpo? Where did it originate? What does it teach? The hand movements are very specific, how do they relate to fighting?

Respectfully,
Marlon

Limpo is a common kung fu form that is also taught in the "Chuan Fa", and "Wun Hop Kuen Do" branches of Kajukenbo.
I've seen it done a few times, but have never practiced it. I don't know the applications or bunkai for the form.
Perhaps if you ask the question in the "Chinese" sections here, you could get a description of the applications.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

this is called palama set 8 on youtube. It apears to me that the skk kata 3 was derived from this kicking form as it has most of the key kicking sequences in it.

Respectfully,
Marlon

There-in lies the problem. You take movements from a kata that was never meant to have bunkai, and place these movements into a newly created kata. So now you have to create a bunkai for movements that never had bunkai. And were never put into a sequence that would lend itself to bunkai.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There-in lies the problem. You take movements from a kata that was never meant to have bunkai, and place these movements into a newly created kata. So now you have to create a bunkai for movements that never had bunkai. And were never put into a sequence that would lend itself to bunkai.

Well i can see your point. i would like to note that i do not have specificly given bunkai on the kicking sequences and as you said they are good training in and of themselves. As for the rest of the form...like any form someone thought it worthwhile to create and keep...it is up to the users of the form, the students of the system to honour it or disgard it...the worst though is to blindly mimic movements and perpetuate ignorance and ineffective training.
And before i am missunderstood again. i teach 3 kata, i like 3 kata do i fully understand or believe all the movements of 3 kata have deep hidden bunkai...no...is there legitimate bunkai/ applications to be found, learned and practiced...yes.

respectfully,
Marlon

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Io can see your point. i would like to note that i do not have specificly given bunkai on the kicking sequences and as you said they are good training in and of themselves. As for the rest of the form...like any form someone thought it worthwhile to create and keep...it is up to the users of the form, the students of the system to honour it or disgard it...the worst though is to blindly mimic movements and perpetuate ignorance and ineffective training.
And before i am missunderstood again. i teach 3 kata, i like 3 kata do i fully understand or believe all the movements of 3 kata have deep hidden bunkai...no...is there legitimate bunkai/ applications to be found, learned and practiced...yes.

respectfully,
Marlon

For the most part I agree with you. I feel that most kata is good to develop balance, movement, etc. I just don't feel a need to break it down step by step, and go on a lifelong quest to find the hidden meaning of every technique. With a lot of modern katas, sometimes there is no bunkai, or it's made up by whatever instructor is teaching it at the time.
And with some of the old katas you'll find bunkai that has no application to modern self defense. Things like a technique to defend against a warrior armed with a sword or spear. Or a flying kick made to knock a soldier off his horse.

Latest Discussions