Kajukenbo Clips

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some very interesting Kaju clips that I thought I'd share. :)

Mike, all good, but the last three featuring Angel Garcia rally sing to me. :ultracoolNot a lot of flash, just 3-4 devasting blows/a takedown. All using mostly gross motor skills. Very street worthy.

Can you tell me any more about Mr. Garcia, or how to see more of him?

Last edited by a moderator:

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pinan 5 & 8 combined for competition. Ch'uan Fa branch-Ramos Method

Kajukenbo grappling competition. Competitors start from kneeling position if there's not mats availiable. Red shirts are color belts.

Kajukenbo competition form;

Dragons Den Kajukenbo (No. Calif)

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Master Bishop,

Just curious, but, has the grappling always been done that way in your system? I guess I'm just making a mental comparison, in that, it looks like a BJJ flavor to it. Was that way incorporated into the sytem, or has it always been there, like that?

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious, but, has the grappling always been done that way in your system? I guess I'm just making a mental comparison, in that, it looks like a BJJ flavor to it. Was that way incorporated into the sytem, or has it always been there, like that?

Well, historically, Brazilian jiu jitsu is judo, with a emphasis on the "newaza", ground techniques. But that's another topic.

Kajukenbo has both Danzan Ryu jujitsu and Kodokan judo in it. I can't speak for the other branches and methods, but I will say that in the "Original Method" 65-75% of the combinations have jujitsu or judo techniques blended into them.
Once an attacker is on the ground, our primarily response is to ground and pound, and get back on our feet quiclky. But we do teach some ground holds, chokes, and locks, and train some in grappling.
I know some people hate the term "anti-grappling", but it describes something we also do quite a bit of, especially with the women. In other words we work on how not to being taken down, and how to escape if you are.

For the most part those in Kajukenbo that do participate in sporting competition, do primarily tournament, kickboxing, or MMA competition. Because grappling competition is now becoming popular, some Kajukenbo people have joined in, and in turn spent more time on their ground grappling.
In Kajukenbo tournaments like Sijo Emperado's annual birthday tournament in Las Vegas, we like to tailor the competition to what we do. So we will have hard contact sparring, grappling, and escrima stick fighting.

Reactions: MJS

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Thank you. That's what was sticking out to me. "Our family" deals with the ground thing in a certain way, as you said. BJJ deals with it too, in it's way. To me, they do the same thing, but, have a different "look" to them, being their own separate animals at this point. That's what was sticking me. The clips, as well as all the other stuff I've seen lately, seems to be taking on the "BJJ look and feel", as opposed to what I was used to seeing before. That's why I was just curious as if it was done like that from the beginning, with your guys.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kajukenbo techniques are based on a premise of "Par, Stun, Put Away". So defensive combinations usually have 3-5 techniques that normally block or catch(par), strike (stun), and then take down or dislocate (put away).
As in this example of "Punch Counter 4":

Have been thinking about this sequence for controlling the conflict for a few days now (par, stun, put away). By chance, my cross training in Kung Fu San Soo complements my SK because KFSS follows this format also. So I was fortunate to 'discover' this concept apart from Kajukenbo, even tho never having had the opportunity to study that art. Very affirming to see the concept embedded in Kaju, which I respect very much as a real street defense art. And seeing Angel Garcia use it...man, oh man. Would love to get some DVDs by this gentleman.

OT: Am still re-watching the various clips/rereading responses here. Lots of meat, so lots to chew over. :ultracool Appreciate those who are working to add more, and keep the thread going. It continues to be useful.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a clip from around 1962 in No. Calif. The instructor in black is GM Charles Gaylord. The instructor in red is Prof. Walter Godin.
The quality isn't the best, since it comes from converted old movie film.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked that. Thanks for posting. Reminds me of my dads old 8mm home movies. I saw some pretty sharp white belts in there, at least it looked liek they were wearing white belts.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's 2 more early 60's clips. This one is from Aleju Reyes's beginners class.

Todd Reiner

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I thank you so much for posting these links...being from the Reyes lineage these are absolutely priceless.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thank you so much for posting these links...being from the Reyes lineage these are absolutely priceless.

Welcome to MT Todd! Please feel free to post any clips that you may have as well as jump into the discussions. :)

Mike

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
These vintage clips really help keep me grounded. I think everytime I start to drift toward believing I'm any good, I'll come back and watch these. :uhyeah: Thanks, Prof. Bishop.

Latest Discussions