Kajukenbo Clips

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you sir.

In your opinion, do these clips still resemble Kajukenbo, in terms of movement, and overall appearance?

Very much so. You see the closing with kenpo strikes blended with escrima cutting type strikes, then the takedowns, finished with groundwork with strikes or submission locks.
Weapons defenses usually start with jujitsu to seize the weapon hand, disjointing to disarm, takedown, followed by kenpo/escrima strikes, dance of death.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The clips look very good and very sk to me. I can see many variations of combo's in there...18, 74, 3, and some animal techniques also. Many of Prof.I's no mind moves and flow are very evidently in the same family. I know they are different from orginal method but i have to say, i have seen some footage of GM Villari in seminars from the 90's and these guyus move more like him than many sk guys i know.

Respectfully,
Marlon

Some very interesting Kaju clips that I thought I'd share. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
NIIIIICE!
icon14.gif

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome clip! Thanks for posting it!:ultracool

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A couple kaju girls sparring:

Doing Palama Set 3 from the John Leoning lineage:

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some very interesting Kaju clips that I thought I'd share. :)

great clips,
are these set technique or 'flow'? i saw many of the techniques i have learned being used very effectively in these clips. Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,
marlon

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
great clips,
are these set technique or 'flow'? i saw many of the techniques i have learned being used very effectively in these clips. Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,
marlon

The first clip appears to be some freestyle repetition that students would do against a "monkey line" of attackers. The combinations are left for the students to create from the technques thay have learned.

The other clips are additional defenses Angel Garcia has added to his cirriculum.

Kajukenbo techniques are based on a premise of "Par, Stun, Put Away". So defensive combinations usually have 3-5 techniques that normally block or catch(par), strike (stun), and then take down or dislocate (put away).
As in this example of "Punch Counter 4":

Once the technique has been learned and tested on, the student is required to create a "adlib" to it.
This could be as simply as 3-4 more finishing strikes like this:

Or, it can be quite elaborate, with several strikes or dislocations. And the "adlib" may be differant everytime it's done, even if it's done at the end of the same technique over and over.

The "Put Away" would mean to finish the fight once and for all.
Sort of like this example of "Club Counter 4":

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The first clip appears to be some freestyle repetition that students would do against a "monkey line" of attackers. The combinations are left for the students to create from the technques thay have learned.

The other clips are additional defenses Angel Garcia has added to his cirriculum.

Kajukenbo techniques are based on a premise of "Par, Stun, Put Away". So defensive combinations usually have 3-5 techniques that normally block or catch(par), strike (stun), and then take down or dislocate (put away).
As in this example of "Punch Counter 4":

Once the technique has been learned and tested on, the student is required to create a "adlib" to it.
This could be as simply as 3-4 more finishing strikes like this:

Or, it can be quite elaborate, with several strikes or dislocations.

The "Put Away" would mean to finish the fight once and for all.
Sort of like this example of "Club Counter 4":

I like the adlib concept. we do not do enough of that...it is either flow or techniques. I think i will begin teaching the concept. Thanks. The first link is the one where i saw many familiar techniques and combinations from the sk system. Thanks again...great stuff

respectfully,
Marlon

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
John, Thanks for the additional clips as well as the detailed breakdown! :)

Mike