Just Made Green Belt In Goju Ryu

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I wish I was but I'm not quite there yet. My no contact game still needs a lot of work.
No, really I award you a gold belt not just in no contact, but no nothing.:jimlad: Keep reeling those gullible students in with your penmanship.:greedy:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, really I award you a belt no just in no contact, but no nothing.:jimlad:
Can you teach me online karate at your online dojo?

We can do no contact sparring over webcam, and you can teach me that one kata I need to know that will allow me to beat everyone the way you do. Please?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which ones do you know? What’s next?

Sorry, I really like the Goju katas I know.
I know the three basic katas which just consist of blocking and punching at various levels while stepping and moving. I also know Urban Tekiyuku, Geiki Sai Dai Ich, and Geiki Sai Dai Ni. In addition to that I know some weapon katas with the jo staff, the bokken, the sai, and the kamas.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not in American kenpo which is my base the system there goes white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, green, brown 3, Brown 2, brown 1, black.
Yes Im familiar with kenpo. Its one of the few styles that I know of where green comes after blue.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats on your acknowledgement. It's not good to get hung up on belts, but we shouldn't dismiss them either. You've worked hard, it's a milestone. Keep working and there will be others.
I don't believe in getting too hung up on belts either, or at least not on rank when we're talking about really high dan ranks. I like to make it to 1st Dan, 1st Degree Black Belt, for me that is a good goal and after that I don't care much for further rank advancement. Being promoted to higher dan levels is not something I particularly pursue, I just want to keep getting better. And if you're talking about belts, depending on the system you might wear different belts for really high dan ranks. Some styles might have a red belt which is above the black belt or a red and black belt or a red and white belt all of which represent high ranks above 1st Degree Black Belt. I don't care much for those belts or for being promoted to those high dan ranks. 1st Dan is good enough for me in terms of rank. Some people do like to pursue those high dan ranks but its just not something I care much for.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe in getting too hung up on belts either, or at least not on rank when we're talking about really high dan ranks. I like to make it to 1st Dan, 1st Degree Black Belt, for me that is a good goal and after that I don't care much for further rank advancement. Being promoted to higher dan levels is not something I particularly pursue, I just want to keep getting better. And if you're talking about belts, depending on the system you might wear different belts for really high dan ranks. Some styles might have a red belt which is above the black belt or a red and black belt or a red and white belt all of which represent high ranks above 1st Degree Black Belt. I don't care much for those belts or for being promoted to those high dan ranks. 1st Dan is good enough for me in terms of rank. Some people do like to pursue those high dan ranks but its just not something I care much for.
That seems arbitrary. 1st dan is a different level in different arts. Mind you, I think I’d be the same way, but it seems arbitrary.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That seems arbitrary. 1st dan is a different level in different arts. Mind you, I think I’d be the same way, but it seems arbitrary.
Well yes, earning rank, including the rank of 1st Dan and beyond, depends on where you earn it. Different schools have different standards so it depends on the standards you have to meet. If you're going to earn any rank though, its best to do it at a school that's worth it. Some schools just hand out ranks which is not worth it. Before I started training at the Goju Ryu school Im at now I did visit this one other Goju Ryu school and I observed part of the class and the black belt students were so horrible it made me cringe and I would certainly not waste my time training there. As for me earning the rank of first degree black belt at my Goju Ryu school Im not so concerned with that now I've still got a ways to go but I do know this much, to get a first degree black belt or any belt above white at my school it has to be earned, they are not just handed out.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would also like to point out that people here have suggested that I could buy any color belt I want, including a black belt, at a martial arts store or from a martial arts website that sells supplies. Here's the thing, buying a black belt or having it mailed to me or whatever, that's cheating.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would also like to point out that people here have suggested that I could buy any color belt I want, including a black belt, at a martial arts store or from a martial arts website that sells supplies. Here's the thing, buying a black belt or having it mailed to me or whatever, that's cheating.
It would be cheaper, quicker, and less painful. Unless of course you cut yourself opening the box, slipping on some ice on your way to the mailbox, stuff like that.

But I don’t think that’s what you really have in mind :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you haven't been around recently. Where have you been?
I've been really busy lately. lately my wife and I Started a business that took up a ton of my time over the last year or so. That's up and running smooth now so I have more free time.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very cool. Any new business takes a lot of time to start - glad to hear you guys got it relatively stable pretty quickly.
We kind of dabbled in it for years as a little side hustle. We got serious about it like 18 months ago now we have a warehouse 4 full-time employees 3 trucks 5 trailers. My wife and her father run the day to day stuff now.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We kind of dabbled in it for years as a little side hustle. We got serious about it like 18 months ago now we have a warehouse 4 full-time employees 3 trucks 5 trailers. My wife and her father run the day to day stuff now.
I’ll say the same thing I say to others who have a business: if there’s ever a way I can be of help, holler.

Latest Discussions