Fellow Shotokan Karateka!

Discussion in 'Karate' started by chrissyp, Oct 18, 2018.

1. chrissyp

chrissyp Green Belt

So I love Shotokan! I've train many marital arts, including Muay Thai, boxing, kung fu, among others.

The reason I feel in love with this style, is for me at least, it was a different atmosphere than you'd get in a full contact gym, and the teachings were very much out of the box from my previous training, most of which I found very useful.

As for my story, my first kickboxing coach was an old school kickboxer and shotokan guy. I had became good friends with him and his wife over the years. When they divorced, and he moved away, she started her own school and let me train for free, in exchange for teaching my thai boxing knowledge and help co instruct childrens classes.

So how did you get into Shotokan? Why do you personally love the art?

• Like Like x 1
  2. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master Black Belt

I don't train Shotokan and come from Kyokushin (which has Shotokan kata/background), but would love to hear from others what they like about Shotokan and also what they feel it's about as a style (what it emphasises). One of my favourite instructors is Sensei Rick Hotton, he is from Shotokan but incorporates aiki stuff in there and his own insights into his teaching.

Always loved the Shotokan kata too :) (and have trained in quite a few of them, Pinan Yon, Enpi to perform, and Kanku Dai to watch being of my favourites)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Christopher Adamchek

Christopher Adamchek Yellow Belt

likewise i do not train Shotokan but Goju, however we have/use many shotokan elements and katas that our teacher blended into the school.