Is Goju Ryus reputation as street effective attributed to its close range emphasis?

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
There was a Karateka comparing styles who claimed that Shotokan had better results in Open Karate competitions, while Goju Ryu was more street effective. I actually know about European champion in Goju Ryu who was a troublemaker on the street. Took care of business no matter if it was boxers, muay thai guys or jujitsu dudes. Altercations in clubs and stuff.

My question is if this can be attributed to Gojy Ryus close range arsenal, and if so what in particular? Sweeps are fairly universal in Karate, and throws are not that unique either, so what is it with Goju Ryu in particular among the Karate styles?

I would appreciate answers from Goju Ryu practitioners first and foremost.

Last edited:

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain it's fictional.

I've trained a little Goju and the main "street" effective strengths I observed are an emphasis on strength and toughness training that translates into their sparring. But these are cultural elements, not style specific one's.

Last edited:
OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain it's fictional

No. The Goju Ryu Karateka was a famous street fighter and national competitor. He eventually went to jail for manslaughter. I don't want to sidetrack the discussion by naming him, but I know both first and last name. That's why I was suprised hearing that particular style mentioned because he was famous for beating up people, although the manslaughter incident was not due to his Karate.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
See my edit...

But note that one person's skills do not a style reputation make.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the infighting for street is a bit of a myth in itself. Outfighting gets you punched and taken down less. Which seems a better curcumstance.

Otherwise from what i have seen of good Streetfighters is the same as I have seen from good ring fighters.

Better basics.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the infighting for street is a bit of a myth in itself. Outfighting gets you punched and taken down less. Which seems a better curcumstance.

Otherwise from what i have seen of good Streetfighters is the same as I have seen from good ring fighters.

Better basics.

But in-fighters such as Goju Ryus aren't exactly terrible long range either. They have won point Karate medals. It's just that Shotokan dudes win more. I hail from a long range fighting style and most honest practitioners of my art know that it's bad news close range. Very limited training in grappling, sweeps, no clinch, etc. Everything is geared towards long range tactics.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But in-fighters such as Goju Ryus aren't exactly terrible long range either. They have won point Karate medals. It's just that Shotokan dudes win more. I hail from a long range fighting style and most honest practitioners of my art know that it's bad news close range. Very limited training in grappling, sweeps, no clinch, etc. Everything is geared towards long range tactics.

If they are better at all ranges. Then that pretty much answers your question.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is such bs. If this guys so famous tell us his name...it doesn't matter about the style it's the practitioner that matters. /if/ this is true then that guy was just better than the guys he thought doesn't mean the style is any better.

No offence but you really are posting a lot of silly threads

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is such bs. If this guys so famous tell us his name...it doesn't matter about the style it's the practitioner that matters. /if/ this is true then that guy was just better than the guys he thought doesn't mean the style is any better.

No offence but you really are posting a lot of silly threads

I don't believe you study any martial arts. All you do is argue, and your ignorance of the subjects shine through

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe you study any martial arts. All you do is argue, and your ignorance of the subjects shine through
Okay my friend whatever you want to believe...lol I'm not the one who doesnt know if he should start boxing or not yet is criticising a professional fighters boxing technique if that's not ignorance then I don't know what is

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
During my years of MA experience (20+), I enjoy looking into and reading about other arts to learn about who/why they were started. The ONLY common denominator in ALL of the arts is that the people who helped make the art famous as being "effective" were all VERY tough guys. It doesn't matter what the art was, they had a mental toughness and trained hard.

I don't think it would have mattered what art you put those guys in, they would have been great fighters because of their attributes that they brought to the table. The tools they used were incidental.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it would have mattered what art you put those guys in, they would have been great fighters because of their attributes that they brought to the table. The tools they used were incidental.

Not so sure about that. I think I he would have beaten plenty anyway with Shotokan, but not all of them. I'm talking about amateur western and thaiboxers, legit fighters and one instructor in Japanese jujitsu, that he soundly mopped the floor with.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
My god....what a load of rubbish okay then name this terminator European champion for us. This sounds like a bad bruce lee movie. Firstly how do you know the guys he thought were boxers or grapplers or whatever second just because one guy who does it can fight doesn't mean the whole styles good as any martial artist knows it's not about the style it's about the person.

Funny how people who get called out on their stories get all defensive saying rubbish like oh I bet you don't know martial arts.

Tbh either you're lying or you're gullible

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
My god....what a load of rubbish okay then name this terminator European champion for us.

I will not out of respect to him and his troubled past. The man is out of prison and trying to rehabilitate his life. He's on Youtube in the European Championships. I've seen him move and he is 100% legit. The dudes he fought were known amateur fighters, and there something called witnesses... This guy was infamous for starting trouble just to put people he didn't like in their place.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will not out of respect to him and his troubled past. The man is out of prison and trying to rehabilitate his life. He's on Youtube in the European Championships. I've seen him move and he is 100% legit. The dudes he fought were known amatuer fighters, and there something called witnesses... and this guy was infamous for starting trouble just to put people he didn't like in their place.
Okay buddy whatever you say lol he's on YouTube...wow that narrows it down doesn't it

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
He won gold in the European Championships (I will not disclose which nation he represented) as well as a finalist at the World Championships. Super talented guy.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i am going to put the nonsensical argument aside and focus on the actual question.

There was a Karateka comparing styles who claimed that Shotokan had better results in Open Karate competitions, while Goju Ryu was more street effective

this is a fallacy and at best one persons opinion.

My question is if this can be attributed to Gojy Ryus close range arsenal, and if so what in particular?

what is it with Goju Ryu in particular among the Karate styles?

first i would want to define "street effective". for this argument i would define it as two guys in a bar who get into a fist fight, the typical dominance thing.

first Okinawan Goju- ryu has weight resistance training incorporated into the curriculum. its not tacked on the begining of the class like doing jumping jacks as a warm up. the weight training is integral to the style. this makes the average practitioner in better shape than average.
second it was never intended to be a sport like main land Japanese Shotokan and other main land styles.
The style has a very grounded stance and composure. this gives the practitioner the ablility and familiarity to standing there trading punches. A bar room fight happens within close proximity, pushing , pulling and trading punches. Goju -ryu is very good at this. Shotokan has become more of a point sparring feel where the practitioner moves in and out of range where the Goju guy is more likely to stand and trade like Wanderlei Silva in MMA.

IF and thats a big IF Goju ryu does have a reputation as being good for street fighting it would be because of these attributes. but i have to add... having a reputation and the actual reality of something are two entirely separate things.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
During my years of MA experience (20+), I enjoy looking into and reading about other arts to learn about who/why they were started. The ONLY common denominator in ALL of the arts is that the people who helped make the art famous as being "effective" were all VERY tough guys. It doesn't matter what the art was, they had a mental toughness and trained hard.

Yup. To add...

Measuring an arts effectiveness is a lot more accurate if you're looking at how the majority of the students fare vs how the teacher did. If just about any dedicated student can perform the principles relatively well, then we can START to say the system is good. If the head guy's the only one, we can easily chalk that up to the head guy being a great fighter, and no more.

Latest Discussions