Just Made Green Belt In Goju Ryu

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
My post asked if you’re learning your primary art at a dojo or through videos.

You’re reply was what’s my approach and how useful are blogs on martial arts.

I have no idea what blogs on martial arts have to do with anything I asked. If you mean this forum, Martial Talk, then it really has nothing to do with my training. It’s just a place where I discuss my training and experiences, read about others’, and chat about anything MA I find interesting.

If you’re asking about how I train, I attend a dojo twice a week. I’d love to go more often, but family and work consume quite a bit of my time. In addition to that, I try to get a few hours of heavy bag time in every week, but it hardly ever goes as planned.

I wasn’t sure what you meant by working through green belt and Heian katas in the original post I quoted. So I asked if you train at a dojo or through videos. I didn’t think that was a difficult or loaded question.
It's not a difficult question he's just not got a good answer for it

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My post asked if you’re learning your primary art at a dojo or through videos.

You’re reply was what’s my approach and how useful are blogs on martial arts.

I have no idea what blogs on martial arts have to do with anything I asked. If you mean this forum, Martial Talk, then it really has nothing to do with my training. It’s just a place where I discuss my training and experiences, read about others’, and chat about anything MA I find interesting.

If you’re asking about how I train, I attend a dojo twice a week. I’d love to go more often, but family and work consume quite a bit of my time. In addition to that, I try to get a few hours of heavy bag time in every week, but it hardly ever goes as planned.

I wasn’t sure what you meant by working through green belt and Heian katas in the original post I quoted. So I asked if you train at a dojo or through videos. I didn’t think that was a difficult or loaded question.

Will try to get back later.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not a difficult question he's just not got a good answer for it
Heady. Thought you were out? Yet here you still are?:muted:

Thanks for answering that other poster for me. Children will play (proved out as you said).

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
https://www.mastershinonline.com

My training follows this general model. Except for tournaments. I always opt out. Have defeated tournament fighters during in class sparring though, including all karate instructors within that venue.
A simple “I train at a dojo” would’ve sufficed.

You beat all instructors at your dojo? You’re either a complete phenom, completely delusional, or you’re at a completely awful dojo.

If you don’t like criticism as much as you seem to not like it, you shouldn’t make comments that make it really difficult not to question your claims. Again, a simple “I train at a dojo” would’ve been just fine. Instead, we’ve got what we have here.

@PhotonGuy - sorry for the derailment. I should’ve seen it coming, but somehow I just wasn’t thinking right. All apologies.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
@PhotonGuy I should’ve asked earlier- what kyu is green belt in your organization? Green is earlier on in some organizations and later on in others. In Kyokushin and many of its offshoots (such as Seido), green is 4th and 3rd kyu; the color before brown. In others, it’s earlier on.
5th Kyu

The order of our belts is white, yellow, orange, green, purple, brown, black.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats. Green belt is a fun time. You have learned enough to engage but not enough to have a lot responsibility. Good times.
You've got responsibility at every belt, even at white belt. Although white belt I would say requires the least responsibility and in some ways for that reason is the most fun. Which is why Im in no hurry to advance past white belt in BJJ.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A simple “I train at a dojo” would’ve sufficed.

Didn't know I was to take instruction from you.:rolleyes:

You beat all instructors at your dojo? You’re either a complete phenom, completely delusional, or you’re at a completely awful dojo.

Well, Photo'r, how grand you gave me three choices. Another high school wrestling coach trying to drum the pansies off the team.

REally, read your wording. Nuff said.

If you don’t like criticism as much as you seem to not like it, you shouldn’t make comments that make it really difficult not to question your claims. Again, a simple “I train at a dojo” would’ve been just fine. Instead, we’ve got what we have here.

Criticism is fine, I'm fine with criticism. Stupid & debasing criticism, no. IOW, you shouldn't make stupid criticisms. You are right out of one of those YT videos on toxic's.:drowning:

@PhotonGuy - sorry for the derailment. I should’ve seen it coming, but somehow I just wasn’t thinking right. All apologies.

Oh, run to bro.:p

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Didn't know I was to take instruction from you.:rolleyes:

Well, Photo'r, how grand you gave me three choices. Another high school wrestling coach trying to drum the pansies off the team.

REally, read your wording. Nuff said.

Criticism is fine, I'm fine with criticism. Stupid & debasing criticism, no. IOW, you shouldn't make stupid criticisms. You are right out of one of those YT videos on toxic's.:drowning:

Oh, run to bro.:p
Just... wow.

We’ve found our current village idiot. We get one, he posts a bunch of complete ridiculousness, gets banned, then a few weeks later a new village idiot appears. Different stupidity, but quite stupid nonetheless.

And before you think you’re the best village idiot we’ve ever had, because you’re obviously the best at everything you’ve ever done... nope. Not even close.

Actually, you kinda suck as the current village idiot. But you’re still him. Enjoy that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5th Kyu

The order of our belts is white, yellow, orange, green, purple, brown, black.
That's the closest I've seen to the traditional NGA order. Replace orange with blue, and they're the same.

Completely irrelevant, but there ya' go.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just... wow.

We’ve found our current village idiot. We get one, he posts a bunch of complete ridiculousness, gets banned, then a few weeks later a new village idiot appears. Different stupidity, but quite stupid nonetheless.

And before you think you’re the best village idiot we’ve ever had, because you’re obviously the best at everything you’ve ever done... nope. Not even close.

Actually, you kinda suck as the current village idiot. But you’re still him. Enjoy that.
There was a guy a bit back who was asking about all these different styles that weren't even near him, and had a million and one reasons not to start training. He got banned, created a new account and stated he switched accounts because he was banned. I think this was in June or so, definitely one of the top village idiots IMO.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was a guy a bit back who was asking about all these different styles that weren't even near him, and had a million and one reasons not to start training. He got banned, created a new account and stated he switched accounts because he was banned. I think this was in June or so, definitely one of the top village idiots IMO.
Sounds like kehcorpz or something like that. He was a few years back. Asked about every style, one at a time, then bashed said style. He was looking for the ultimate style somehow.

Then there was the Isiah some number guy. Created his own system from YouTube videos. Remember his simulating gun defense by running in an arc, but still getting hit with nerf darts? Pure genius.

This guy isn’t even close.

It’s like Howard Stern’s Wack Pack. This guy thinks he’s Beetlejuice or Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf status, whereas he’s Marfan Mike level. Yeah, Marfan’s a Wack Packer, but barely; this guy’s MT village idiot, but he’s no Kehkorpz or Isiah.

Latest Discussions