Just Made Green Belt In Goju Ryu

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@ShotoNoob , I just real this post from you with a mastershinonline.com link. Is that where you work out?

No, I used this as an example to answer a question. The type of curriculum I train.

Didn't I make that clear? Does this make sense to you?

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The issue isn't you, persay. I'm sure you're a swell fellow when you aren't play acting on the internet. The issue is the content of your posts. The link you gave did much to explain why those ideas are what they are.

My, how you stumbled on the issue.

And the link I gave did much to explain WHAT?o_O What that link did was to demonstration the timidity when I look for an actual answer. Ideas?

If I were to discuss 'you' I'd be calling you out on all your claims of beating everyone with your online karate. But I'm not ;)

Good. That's the right path to follow.:artist:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I said, not a lot of responsibility. As in running classes, paying bills etc...

This is true. I think you've gotten that point across very well.

We karate students only have to tend to kihon, kata, kumite. The instructors have to deal with marketing, cash flow, and the politics of the umbrella orgs. Not just teaching.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I used this as an example to answer a question. The type of curriculum I train.

Didn't I make that clear? Does this make sense to you?
You haven’t made one thing clear - do you train at a dojo/dojang/whatever language for an actual school, or are you learning online?

I’m not judging, I’m just curious. You somehow got offended last time I asked. Why you got offended, I have no idea. If you simply said “yes I train at a dojo” or “I’m learning from videos” I would’ve left it at that and wouldn’t have made any comments either way, except for maybe asking the style, organization, or videos you’re using and what techniques/kata/etc you’re learning. I genuinely had no ill will. Somehow you thought I did. No idea how or why you thought my original question was a loaded question.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You haven’t made one thing clear - do you train at a dojo/dojang/whatever language for an actual school, or are you learning online?
:wtf:

I’m not judging, I’m just curious. You somehow got offended last time I asked. Why you got offended, I have no idea. If you simply said “yes I train at a dojo” or “I’m learning from videos” I would’ve left it at that and wouldn’t have made any comments either way, except for maybe asking the style, organization, or videos you’re using and what techniques/kata/etc you’re learning. I genuinely had no ill will. Somehow you thought I did. No idea how or why you thought my original question was a loaded question.

Yeah, there's a lot of idealess comments all sounding like one individual. Maybe a couple sitting in the same room.

Read my posts. That'll answer your question. May entail a little work on your part, if you don't mind. Try to pull something together from what I've posted. See you then. You sound like nice guy @ heart. Genuine. But I'm not quite sure.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
https://www.mastershinonline.com

My training follows this general model. Except for tournaments. I always opt out. Have defeated tournament fighters during in class sparring though, including all karate instructors within that venue.
I don’t see anything on that website that presents a “general model”. And what you mean by linking to this website and stating that your training follows this “general model” is ambiguous at best.

Be that as it may, the website is a taekwondo school. I’ll go out on a limb here and believe for a moment (willing suspension of disbelief) that you actually train at that school. So...as a taekwondo student, why would you ask a goju student to post video of his kata and teach them to you? You claim some interest/connection/whatever to those forms. But you are (maybe????????) a taekwondo student?

What should I make of that?

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don’t see anything on that website that presents a “general model”. And what you mean by linking to this website and stating that your training follows this “general model” is ambiguous at best.

Yeah, I went back and ran through the site. It's kinda wordy, getting at this and that. Generalities abound. Just like GPS.

Yet we are still conversing with, "I don't see;" and "And what you mean..." "ambiguous (at best)."

The intelligent, responsive approach would have been to review the general TKD curriculum which that org. represents.

Be that as it may, the website is a taekwondo school. I’ll go out on a limb here and believe for a moment (willing suspension of disbelief) that you actually train at that school.

So...as a taekwondo student, why would you ask a goju student to post video of his kata and teach them to you? You claim some interest/connection/whatever to those forms. But you are (maybe????????) a taekwondo student?

The use of the word, "claim," is so frequent, I'm starting to feel like I'm interacting with an insurance agent.

Out on a limb/ OMGawd.:playful: Suspension of disbelief? How kind.o_O

Well, what do you make of the TKD curriculum? I've posted extensive material using Shotokan karate to talk about all the formless, shapeless queries you just posed.

You'll have to peruse those, I'm afraid.:(

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I went back and ran through the site. It's kinda wordy, getting at this and that. Generalities abound. Just like GPS.

Yet we are still conversing with, "I don't see;" and "And what you mean..." "ambiguous (at best)."

The intelligent, responsive approach would have been to review the general TKD curriculum which that org. represents.

The use of the word, "claim," is so frequent, I'm starting to feel like I'm interacting with an insurance agent.

Out on a limb/ OMGawd.:playful: Suspension of disbelief? How kind.o_O

Well, what do you make of the TKD curriculum? I've posted extensive material using Shotokan karate to talk about all the formless, shapeless queries you just posed.

You'll have to peruse those, I'm afraid.:(
Let the record show that Shotonoob refuses to answer and so the only reasonable conclusion is that he trains in nothing.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...So...as a taekwondo student, why would you ask a goju student to post video of his kata and teach them to you?

I checked your profile. Tibetan White Crane to Tracy Kenpo to Capoeira. Then Taiji + Wing Chun. I'm not covering the world of martial arts (the way you "claim" you have), just looking at different styles of karate. Would have thought that would have been common sense conclusion by someone of your broad ilk.

And what's with all the styles? This so often is the mark of a "style chaser," rather than someone who invests seriously in their art. Not saying that's you, it's a concern.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah, there's a lot of idealess comments all sounding like one individual. Maybe a couple sitting in the same room.

Read my posts. That'll answer your question. May entail a little work on your part, if you don't mind. Try to pull something together from what I've posted. See you then. You sound like nice guy @ heart. Genuine. But I'm not quite sure.
I don’t have the time, energy, nor desire to sift through anyone’s posts to find out much of anything. Unless of course it’s for comedic purposes or it’s something I remember seeing and thought it could apply directly to what I’m doing.

Where and how anyone trains makes absolutely no difference to my training. It’s just good conversation and maybe learning a thing or two or seeing something from a different perspective, that’s all.

If you don’t want to answer the question outright for any reason, that’s your call. Doesn’t change my life any. I genuinely don’t need to know anything about anyone but myself and the people I’m responsible for. No sarcasm involved (there’s no tone of voice nor mannerisms in this medium) - enjoy your training. It’s yours and no one else’s.

Sorry... I though we could have a discussion about training methods and the like. No sweat off either of our backs if we can’t.

Edit: there’s a thread here where a gentleman asks why students make such a big deal about him not revealing his tuition pricing. Several here, myself included, said he’s actually making it a big deal by avoiding it, thus getting people hung up on it. Apply that to this question as you will.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I checked your profile. Tibetan White Crane to Tracy Kenpo to Capoeira. Then Taiji + Wing Chun. I'm not covering the world of martial arts (the way you "claim" you have), just looking at different styles of karate. Would have thought that would have been common sense conclusion by someone of your broad ilk.

And what's with all the styles? This so often is the mark of a "style chaser," rather than someone who invests seriously in their art. Not saying that's you, it's a concern.
Perhaps he liked different things at different stages of his life. Perhaps he moved a few times and trained what was available. Perhaps he cross-trained in similar styles to get a better understanding of his primary style. Perhaps his teacher closed the school for whatever reason so he had to train something else. Perhaps...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@PhotonGuy
What new material do you have for your current rank? Which kata? I’m sure you’ve probably started some of it. How’s it going?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's the closest I've seen to the traditional NGA order. Replace orange with blue, and they're the same.

Completely irrelevant, but there ya' go.
In most systems, at least with what I've seen, if there is a blue belt its after green.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

My martial training began in 1984 while in Junior High School, with Tracy Kenpo. In college I began training in capoeira, while also working with a friend who was a judo student. I learned some things from him about judo, even tho he was not a recognized teacher. I spent some time working with a teacher of a Kuntao method known as Shaolin-do, which has a history and claims on lineage that are widely considered suspect. There were a couple of other things in college that I had opportunity to dabble in, but my experience with those is not remarkable. I even dabbled briefly with some video-tape instruction, which was unproductive.

After college I moved to San Francisco to further pursue capoeira, which I did for a few years. I drifted into Chinese martial arts and studied under a teacher who taught taiji, white crane, and a few other things. I also worked for a few years with a wing chun Sifu. I then spent a few years returning to my Tracy Kenpo roots with another teacher. I ultimately realized that white crane is the best method for me and that is my focus and the only system in which I now train. My white crane teacher took me to meet his white crane teacher, who became my Sifu.

Over the years I have experienced many systems. For a long time I felt that was good to collect many systems. I now realize the value in doing so is so that you can ultimately decide what system is the best match for you, and that then is what you ought to spend your energy and your time in studying and training. The other systems ought to be put aside, and that is what I have done.

The names of my teachers are as follows, some of whom are well known and some of whom are not. Some are findable on the Internet, while others are not.

Kenpo:
James Johnson in WI
John Molitor in WI
Ted Sumner in CA, Ted has been a proponent of the Tracy Kenpo system since the early 1960s, and was a direct student of both Jim and Al Tracy.
My rank: Shodan

Judo:
Dennis McMahon
My rank:none

Capoeira:
The university club at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, which was affiliated with Mestre Prequica in San Francisco. I very briefly studied with Mestre Prequica when I first arrived in SF, but found him to be someone I could not work with. I then explored several more schools before becoming a member of Group ABADA San Francisco, under Mestre Marcia Cigarra.
My rank: blue cord/graduated student

Shaolin-do:
Ed Krug
My rank: none, but I learned the curriculum through the fisrt rank of brown belt.

Wing Chun:
Kevin Shea (deceased) at the Wing Chun club at City College of San Francisco. Kevin’s Sifus were Chris and Stanley Chan, brothers, both students of Ip Man.
My rank: none, although I would come to assist Kevin with the newer students

Taiji (Chen/Huan-yin, Sun), Tibetan white crane, elements of Northern Shaolin and Hung Gar:
Bryant Fong
My rank: none

Tibetan White Crane:
Quentin Fong
My rank: none, but Sifu has told me I am authorized to teach.

That pretty much covers what I’ve done. I don’t have any reason to hide any of it.

What have you done?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
My martial training began in 1984 while in Junior High School, with Tracy Kenpo. In college I began training in capoeira, while also working with a friend who was a judo student. I learned some things from him about judo, even tho he was not a recognized teacher. I spent some time working with a teacher of a Kuntao method known as Shaolin-do, which has a history and claims on lineage that are widely considered suspect. There were a couple of other things in college that I had opportunity to dabble in, but my experience with those is not remarkable. I even dabbled briefly with some video-tape instruction, which was unproductive.

After college I moved to San Francisco to further pursue capoeira, which I did for a few years. I drifted into Chinese martial arts and studied under a teacher who taught taiji, white crane, and a few other things. I also worked for a few years with a wing chun Sifu. I then spent a few years returning to my Tracy Kenpo roots with another teacher. I ultimately realized that white crane is the best method for me and that is my focus and the only system in which I now train. My white crane teacher took me to meet his white crane teacher, who became my Sifu.

Over the years I have experienced many systems. For a long time I felt that was good to collect many systems. I now realize the value in doing so is so that you can ultimately decide what system is the best match for you, and that then is what you ought to spend your energy and your time in studying and training. The other systems ought to be put aside, and that is what I have done.

The names of my teachers are as follows, some of whom are well known and some of whom are not. Some are findable on the Internet, while others are not.

Kenpo:
James Johnson in WI
John Molitor in WI
Ted Sumner in CA, Ted has been a proponent of the Tracy Kenpo system since the early 1960s, and was a direct student of both Jim and Al Tracy.

Judo:
Dennis McMahon

Capoeira:
The university club at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, which was affiliated with Mestre Prequica in San Francisco. I very briefly studied with Mestre Prequica when I first arrived in SF, but found him to be someone I could not work with. I then explored several more schools before becoming a member of Group ABADA San Francisco, under Mestre Marcia Cigarra.

Shaolin-do:
Ed Krug
My rank: none, but I learned the curriculum through the fisrt rank of brown belt.

Wing Chun:
Kevin Shea (deceased) at the Wing Chun club at City College of San Francisco. Kevin’s Sifus were Chris and Stanley Chan, brothers, both students of Ip Man.

Taiji (Chen/Huan-yin, Sun), Tibetan white crane, elements of Northern Shaolin and Hung Gar:
Bryant Fong

Tibetan White Crane:
Quentin Fong

That pretty much covers what I’ve done. I don’t have any reason to hide any of it.

What have you done?
That's nothing. He has seen the karate kid twice and is on his 7th training video in some style that may be tkd and it may be karate. Don't get to find out until video 8.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Writing that paragraph took a lot longer than a simple yes or no would have

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Kenpo:
James Johnson in WI
John Molitor in WI

Judo:
Dennis McMahon

Capoeira:

Shaolin-do:
Ed Krug

Wing Chun:

Bryant Fong

Tibetan White Crane:
Quentin Fong

What have you done?

Liked some of your posts.:brb:

No reason to wear your resume on your sleeve either.:oops:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Flying Crane, There was a ton of material in your post. Appreciate all the description & reasoning.

Just have time here to ask you one question.

MMA, the commercial outfits with competitors in the UFC, Bellator and what not. The theme seems to be that TMA, doesn't translate to the Octagon without a lot of adaptation & modification. I want to focus specifically on your Wing Chun experience, because this style seem to get constantly bashed.

What's your take? With all your experience & credentials in various arts, you might have a more balanced perspective than say ATT.

I abstracted out the portion of your detailed post for this topic. Nice narrative on first blush.

Wing Chun:
My rank: none, although I would come to assist Kevin with the newer student.
:brb:

Waiting to see your stand.

Last edited: