Judo: Sport or martial art?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess it would be a silly question, Patrick, to ask you if you cross-train or are engaged in any sports.

:rolleyes:

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what about the fireman's carry in wrestling...aka kata guruma in judo..which i understand kano picked up from watching western wrestling

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Feisty Mouse said:
I guess it would be a silly question, Patrick, to ask you if you cross-train or are engaged in any sports.

:rolleyes:
I jog, and have done free-style wrestling in high school. I don't care for sports very much so I stick to the martial arts.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
what about the fireman's carry in wrestling...aka kata guruma in judo..which i understand kano picked up from watching western wrestling
Kata-guruma and the fireman's carry only look alike, in application they are very different.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Andrew Green said:
umm.. a lot of the throws in Judo are done in wrestling as well...
Like what for instance? The so called 'Jap whizzer' (ippon seoinage?). I'm not aware of any judo type throws in free style wrestling.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
and how is this?
The kata-guruma, shoulder wheel, is performed standing up. Review your nage no kata.

The fireman's carry is performed on the knees and the opponent is rolled over, not dropped from standing height as in kata guruma.

They are not identical techniques. Dr. Kano spontaneously used kata guruma in one of his matches against a bigger opponent. He wasn't influenced by western wrestling for this technique.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
there are kneeling versions of kata guruma as well

from Mifune's Canon of Judo:

concerning Kata Guruma- "In competitions, you will be half-thrown, or be forced onto your knees, while still holding the opponents sleeve..."

hmmm...sounds a lot like a wrestling fireman's carry...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
from Vladimir Putin's Judo: History, Theory, Practice

"One variation of this techniqe is called the 'knee wheel,' in which tori, after grabbing and throwing uke off balance, reaches for the same thigh from inside with his free hand and drops to his knees. Then, using his arms to lower uke's head and lift his legs, tori throws uke on his back."

sounds a lot like a fireman's carry too...

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
there are kneeling versions of kata guruma as well

from Mifune's Canon of Judo:

concerning Kata Guruma- "In competitions, you will be half-thrown, or be forced onto your knees, while still holding the opponents sleeve..."

hmmm...sounds a lot like a wrestling fireman's carry...
Dr. Kano openly criticized Mifune's judo.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Dr. Kano openly criticized Mifune's judo.
oh yes...i forgot...kano promoted him to 10th dan because he was a bad judoka...come on man...give it up

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
oh yes...i forgot...kano promoted him to 10th dan because he was a bad judoka...come on man...give it up
Stop generalizing for an answer, Dr. Kano was a critic of Mifune's judo.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Dr. Kano was a critic of Mifune's judo.
and this of course is specifically cited evidence...which you always ask for...and which i just provided in the last two posts...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
and this of course is specifically cited evidence...which you always ask for...and which i just provided in the last two posts...
You could ressurect Kano from the grave to speak against him and he wouldn't give in...

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
from Vladimir Putin's Judo: History, Theory, Practice

"One variation of this techniqe is called the 'knee wheel,' in which tori, after grabbing and throwing uke off balance, reaches for the same thigh from inside with his free hand and drops to his knees. Then, using his arms to lower uke's head and lift his legs, tori throws uke on his back."

sounds a lot like a fireman's carry too...
Use a primary source on kata-guruma, Dr. Kano himself, not other interpretations of his technique.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
You could ressurect Kano from the grave to speak against him and he wouldn't give in...
hey...what can i say...i'm bored...running my head into a brick wall seems as entertaining as anything else

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Use a primary source on kata-guruma, Dr. Kano himself, not other interpretations of his technique.
at least i have respected sources...let's see your source for Kano's criticism of Mifune's judo...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
So Judo died with Kano and no one else is allowed to change or modify anything?

Sorry, but no...

And on wrestling throws, perhaps you should study some wrestling.

Nick -> Yeah, playing with trolls can be good entertainment once and a while ;)

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Andrew Green said:
Unnecessary to wake the dead since Dr. Kano left behind copious documents and papers for the hopologist to research.

Latest Discussions