Judo or Taekwondo for best self defense?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Come on now "I deflected the bullet, or I got hit in the chest, accidently" That doesn't inspire you with confidence in the technique?

What does inspire confidence is now I know that a gunman is likely to just stand still like a pansy and very slowly move his arm around trying to follow me and just let go if I place my hand on his gun.

And that he'll only hit me by accident.

Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling of safety.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does inspire confidence is now I know that a gunman is likely to just stand still like a pansy and very slowly move his arm around trying to follow me and just let go if I place my hand on his gun.

And that he'll only hit me by accident.

Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling of safety.
I'm thinking I need to go back and look at those videos. The ones I looked at contained no actual MA/SD - just talking and reviews. I need to look again.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking I need to go back and look at those videos. The ones I looked at contained no actual MA/SD - just talking and reviews. I need to look again.

The gunman one features no actual MA/SD either...

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
wow, that video.
it's almost everything I expected from someone with a handful of lessons under their belt.

I hope no-one has paid for these online courses.

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, when you're training self-defense, you don't ever set up a scenario for folks to work on to understand the mechanics and risks?

I do, but it's not scripted like most schools are. I try to do everything on the spot.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do, but it's not scripted like most schools are. I try to do everything on the spot.
There’s actually a very good point to that scripted stuff when done attained properly. They teach:
Distance
Timing
Footwork
How to block
Where to block
What weapon to use, ie fist, elbow, knee, etc.
What target to hit

And so forth. They’re worthless when people think they’re actual responses to use exactly how they’re scripted. And they’re worthless if the attacker never goes beyond throwing one punch out and holding it there while the defender goes through some intricately scripted response. They’re not supposed to be done slowly forever. And they’re CONCEPTS, not literal responses.

Keep those things in mind and teach and train that way, and those useless scripted responses are a great training tool. Take them literally and never progress beyond holding the punch out for a student in their first month of training, and they’re worthless.

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There’s actually a very good point to that scripted stuff when done attained properly. They teach:
Distance
Timing
Footwork
How to block
Where to block
What weapon to use, ie fist, elbow, knee, etc.
What target to hit

And so forth. They’re worthless when people think they’re actual responses to use exactly how they’re scripted. And they’re worthless if the attacker never goes beyond throwing one punch out and holding it there while the defender goes through some intricately scripted response. They’re not supposed to be done slowly forever. And they’re CONCEPTS, not literal responses.

Keep those things in mind and teach and train that way, and those useless scripted responses are a great training tool. Take them literally and never progress beyond holding the punch out for a student in their first month of training, and they’re worthless.

This is a great analogy of the progress of student from beginning with a scripted process. In almost ever school there will be a low level static drill with a compliant partner, and this progresses as lined out here.

those that do not attend a school beyond a certain level will never see the progression of this, and in some cases there are bad schools that never go beyond the static script.
In these cases students will leave with the belief that these scripts are useless as they never moved onto the next stage.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did finally get to watch it. Not so much sparring, as trying to dodge the first (and, in this situation, only) shot. No real technique involved.

Did I miss something or did he not get actually popped with the rubber dart thing as I think he did everytime.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think others' training is what you think it is. Techniques and drills are scripted. Sparring, randori, attack lines, scenario training are not.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I miss something or did he not get actually popped with the rubber dart thing as I think he did everytime.
I couldn't tell, but I couldn't see how it would be possible to miss often, unless that toy gun is highly unreliable. Take one step back as he starts to enter, and a shot to the chest seems more likely than not each time.

Latest Discussions