Jon Jones at NAGA 2016

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I would have loved to roll with him. I would have gotten destroyed, but I would have still enjoyed the experience!

Those long arms and legs are something else!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the way he wrestles. He tries to maintain a position in which he can land strikes with the knees. As someone who values the striking game, I would do all that I could to maintain a position in which I could deliver some kind of strike. He put himself in positions that allow him to work on other skills, like when he let the guy get the single leg grabs. This is the type of sparring that I like to do, unfortunately for me, striking is not as friendly as grappling. I wish there was a for striking to not be as punishing to learn .

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the way he wrestles. He tries to maintain a position in which he can land strikes with the knees. As someone who values the striking game, I would do all that I could to maintain a position in which I could deliver some kind of strike. He put himself in positions that allow him to work on other skills, like when he let the guy get the single leg grabs. This is the type of sparring that I like to do, unfortunately for me, striking is not as friendly as grappling. I wish there was a for striking to not be as punishing to learn .
Did you spot the point in the second match where he pretends to throw an elbow strike from top of guard? (All in good fun - everybody laughed, including the guy on bottom.)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did you spot the point in the second match where he pretends to throw an elbow strike from top of guard? (All in good fun - everybody laughed, including the guy on bottom.)
Yep. I caught that one too. When BJJ practitioners practice do they practice in the context of someone striking down on them or do they practice in the context of just grappling without striking. I'm assuming it depends on school and what the students are training for.be it a BJJ competition, MMA, or self-defense focus.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When BJJ practitioners practice do they practice in the context of someone striking down on them or do they practice in the context of just grappling without striking. I'm assuming it depends on school and what the students are training for.be it a BJJ competition, MMA, or self-defense focus.
Yeah, it really depends on the school and the individual. Most of the time BJJ grappling is done without strikes, but when I grapple I'm always keeping track of where the strikes could occur.

Latest Discussions