Joe Rogans Accomplishments and USTU/USTA events?

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He was a TKD instructor.
Idk where you heard that, it wasnt even on his websites biography.

But he was a second dan if i recall corretly, that makes him a jr instructor. But there are also 18-20 year olds who are average who are also jr instructors.

Jo kyo nim vs Sah Bum Nim, still an instructor but not the head.

In our association, the USTW holds a seminar every so often for a instructors cert idk all the requirements, but 1st dan is one of them

Heck, if you wanna use the term loosley, and colored belt working with a lower ranks is the lower ranks instructor.

Calling oneself an instructor doesnt make you a Accomplished or exceptional master of a style

and

Simply being an instructor doesnt make you above average.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
So a TKD instructor doesn't know how to use his hands effectively? Yes, if you ask Dirty Dog.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Again, i could say im an instrcutor because i work with low colored belts every class. A brand new first dan would be a jo kyo nim in many classes, but theyre hardly authorities.

He can say all he wants, hes never shown or accomplished anything outside of the ability of a average newer BB.

Quite frankly, if he keeps he hands down when kickboxing instead of adapting his fighting to the circumstance, id question his ability as an instructor.

So a TKD instructor doesn't know how to use his hands effectively? Yes, if you ask Dirty Dog.

A mediocre TKD 1st or 2nd dan who calls himself an instrcutor (whens he was in reality most likely nothing more than an assistant), who thought it was fine to keep his hands down in kickboxing.......pretty self explanatory of his "prowess" if you ask me...

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, some actors/celebrities who also practice taekwondo: Jessica Alba, Michael Imperioli, Ryan Phillippe, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Wesley Snipes, Willie Nelson. You see where I'm going with this, right? It's like Dancing with the Stars...but with taekwondo instead! I'm telling you, this could work!

First round...Joe Rogan vs. Sarah Michelle Gellar...fight!

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay, some actors/celebrities who also practice taekwondo: Jessica Alba, Michael Imperioli, Ryan Phillippe, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Wesley Snipes, Willie Nelson. You see where I'm going with this, right? It's like Dancing with the Stars...but with taekwondo instead! I'm telling you, this could work!

First round...Joe Rogan vs. Sarah Michelle Gellar...fight!

My money's on SMG, at least she can palm heel strike...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I never said anything of the sort.

I will say that it's obvious there are TKD students who don't know how to use their brains.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I never said anything of the sort.

I will say that it's obvious there are TKD students who don't know how to use their brains.

Joe Rogan was an instructor. This is who you said can't use his hands effectively. Could it just be that they were weak regardless? I don't think Joe is stupid. To the contrary.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Joe Rogan was an instructor. This is who you said can't use his hands effectively. Could it just be that they were weak regardless? I don't think Joe is stupid. To the contrary.

the instructor claim makes no difference or defines one as being anything better than average. Especially being 2nd dan, mean he was most likely nothing more than an assistant.

I previously refuted it and explained how little it means. Being an instructor has no bearing or effect on Joe inability to use common sense and keep his guard up and punch. That shows a lack of sparring brains.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
the instructor claim makes no difference or defines one as being anything better than average. Especially being 2nd dan, mean he was most likely nothing more than an assistant.

He just said in the clip that he had his own school. He was 21 dude, you can't have an 8th dan by then. You need to wait between dan grades, no matter if you are Bruce Lee. It also has to be taken into account when he started training. He first tried out Karate.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
My father had a total of 5 dan after approximately 23 years (counting from when he was a beginner). It took 7 years later for him to receive his 6th. You simply don't understand dan grading

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shes also killed waaayyyyyy more vampires than Joe.

Excellent point. She also studied taekwondo for at least five years apparently, and has studied kickboxing. Apparently she keeps her hands up too (or at least, one of them, see photo). I'm going to have to give it to Sarah Michelle Gellar too.

latest

News OFFmag Sarah Michelle Gellar biography

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He just said in the clip that he had his own school. He was 21 dude, you can't have an 8th dan by then. You need to wait between dan grades, no matter if you are Bruce Lee. It also has to be taken into account when he started training. He first tried out Karate.

I highly doubt he owned and operated a school at 21 being second dan. Especially considering his distinct lack of accomplishments. A class more likely, probably teaching at his instructors school.

But lets say he did, that still means nothing.

Any yellow belt can leave his association, open a school and call it " John Kwan Do" and call themselves an instrcutor. It means nothing. Joe has never shown or accomplished anything high caliber, only bragged and inflated his own average achievements.

I can teach TSD or Boxing at the the rec room in the Y and say "its my school." That doesnt make me an exceptional martial artist.

Youre the only person mentioning 8th dan, i understand exactly how dan grading works. At 1-2 dan hed be a Jo Kyo Nim, junior black belt\junior instructor usually takes around 5 year minimum total training time for 2nd dan although most people usually take longer. Then as rank increases as do intervals. 3rd dan is usually Boo Sah Bum Nim, with 4th or 5th being Master Instructor or Sah Bum Nim. Technically those terms dont apply to specific ranks i believe but thats qherw they generally fall.

Believing calling onself an instructor equates to any form of tangible skill makes me believe you dont understand how any of this works.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent point. She also studied taekwondo for at least five years apparently, and has studied kickboxing. Apparently she keeps her hands up too (or at least, one of them, see photo). I'm going to have to give it to Sarah Michelle Gellar too.

latest

News OFFmag Sarah Michelle Gellar biography

Shes got one covering the head and one covering the midsection, youll see this in MMA too though so if shes careful itll come through for her!

Im giving my edge to her as well!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

When did I say that? I do t recall ever commenting on Mr Rogans level of skill.

I don't have any reason to think Mr Rogan is stupid.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I highly doubt he owned and operated a school at 21 being second dan. Especially considering his distinct lack of accomplishments. A class more likely, probably teaching at his instructors school.

Any yellow belt can leave his association, open a school and call it " John Kwan Do" and call themselves an instrcutor. It means nothing. Joe has never shown or accomplished anything high caliber, only bragged and inflated his own average achievements.

I can teach TSD or Boxing at the the rec room in the Y and say "its my school." That doesnt make me an exceptional martial artist.

Youre the only person mentioning 8th dan, i understand exactly how dan grading works. At 1-2 dan hed be a Jo Kyo Nim, junior black belt\junior instructor usually takes around 5 year minimum total training time for 2nd dan although most people usually take longer. Then as rank increases as do intervals. 3rd dan is usually Boo Sah Bum Nim, with 4th or 5th being Master Instructor or Sah Bum Nim. Technically those terms dont apply to specific ranks i believe but thats qherw they generally fall.

Believing calling onself an instructor equates to any form of tangible skill makes me believe you dont understand how any of this works.

Close, but not quite. Nim is an honorific, a show of respect, not part of the title. The title is kyosa, sabum, kwanjang, etc.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score

You brought up his dan level when he in fact couldn't have more at age 21. There are countless of 6-9 dans in TKD who don't even come close to Rogans technical level and power generation. Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis - just about any karate or TKD legend from the 70s or the 80s, do not have his technique.

Last edited:
OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You brought up his dan level when in fact he couldn't have more at age 21. There are countless of 6-9 dans in TKD who don't even come close to Rogans technical level and power generation. Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis - just about any karate or TKD legend from the 70s or the 80s, do not have his technique.

Name one 9 dan that is even in good enough health to kick a bag that hard. I can promise you they were doing just as well when they were 21-45.

His power and technical level isnt anything special For his size, age, and rank.

Benny the jet was using equal level tech and kicked hard enough to do damage to MT fighters.
Emilio narvaez was kicking properly as well.
Bill Wallace had significantly better roundhouses.

We have guys at our school ages 16-35 who move the heavy bag the same way he does at 1st gup - 2nd dan.

We have higher ups who can kick harder and better.

We also have 5 dans who cant train like they used to and are outclassed in sparring by the young guyd of lower rank

We have 1st gups who are 21 outkicking 6 dans who are 50.

Youve been told by 5 or 6 karate/tkd all from completely different areas and experiences guys that his power and technique isnt anything special for his age/rank, because it isnt. Hes making hard contact and moving the bag

He isnt knocking a 200 lb bag to the ceiling or breaking trees,

Youre carrying a torch that isnt there bud.

Not all Black belts are equal in any style. Theyre just a belt. A better indicator of hard work and commitment than overal talent. You seem to have a hard time with this concept.

Latest Discussions