Joe Rogans Accomplishments and USTU/USTA events?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's not what he said.

The head contact has become more controlled, but just because they don't, doesn't mean they can't. The body contact is as hefty as it ever was.

Until you get in that ring, you have no idea.

I have seen enough of it. Its not full contact for strategic purposes, for most of the time. I have been trained full contact to the body(stomach) with no protection in a KKW school. You are not going to convince me that WTF is full contact in practise. Nonsense.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen enough of it. Its not full contact for strategic purposes, for most of the time. I have been trained full contact to the body(stomach) with no protection in a KKW school. You are not going convince me that WTF is full contact in practise. Nonsense.

So you have Abs. of steel then, what happens if you get hit with a liver shot?
Now, I'm not a medical person but I always had the impression there was more to the body than just the stomach.

I've seen heart operations but that doesn't mean I know how to do them.

Liver shots. Love em.

Last edited:

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen enough of it. Its not full contact for strategic purposes, for most of the time. I have been trained full contact to the body(stomach) with no protection in a KKW school. You are not going to convince me that WTF is full contact in practise. Nonsense.
Was it really full contact? I'm asking because I'm positive if we trained full contact kicks to the body with no protection at my dojang people would hospitalized. And I'm not trying to brag about our school. Most of our students are just average recreational taekwondo students. But many of them were competitive when they were younger. I wouldn't allow many of them to kick me "full" contact (even wearing a hogu). The highest level guys are former Kukkiwon demonstration team guys and I wouldn't take their best shot with two hogus on.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Was it really full contact? I'm asking because I'm positive if we trained full contact kicks to the body with no protection at my dojang people would hospitalized. And I'm not trying to brag about our school. Most of our students are just average recreational taekwondo students. But many of them were competitive when they were younger. I wouldn't allow many of them to kick me "full" contact (even wearing a hogu). The highest level guys are former Kukkiwon demonstration team guys and I wouldn't take their best shot with two hogus on.

We were instructed to kick each other with no protection. I must have done sparring too, since I was graded there, but it was quite a while back.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like Jaeimseu already pointed out, WTF sparring is in practice point fighting for most of the time. I've seen my fair share of WTF fights to conclude that it's in reality rarely full contact blows. The punching in boxing is effective in other arenas, even though there are lots of prohibitions, while most of the WTF kicking will not work in a kickboxing or K1 arena.
I would say that taekwondoin who trained predominantly for Taekwondo competition would do poorly in the kickboxing ring without a lot of sport specific training. However, that works in reverse, too. A kick boxer isn't going to step into a WTF ring and do well.

About twenty years ago we put together a team tryout for a regional tournament. We invited guys and gals from several schools. One instructor invited a guy who had done taekwondo in the past but had been kickboxing for a few years. We chewed him up and spit him out because he had no game in our game. Put us in a boxing ring and he likely would have done better.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Strong words. Two things:

1) It would be highly unusual and irresponsible for a dojang to allow you to train full contact without protective equipment. And, even if you did, it would take a special kind of BB to go full contact against a beginner. Which you are.

2) I don't have to convince you of anything. I have enough experience to tell you you're wrong. You can do your own work to convince yourself. Or not. Whatever. No skin off of my nose.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say that taekwondoin who trained predominantly for Taekwondo competition would do poorly in the kickboxing ring without a lot of sport specific training. However, that works in reverse, too. A kick boxer isn't going to step into a WTF ring and do well.

About twenty years ago we put together a team tryout for a regional tournament. We invited guys and gals from several schools. One instructor invited a guy who had done taekwondo in the past but had been kickboxing for a few years. We chewed him up and spit him out because he had no game in our game. Put us in a boxing ring and he likely would have done better.

My point is that TKD sport has no bearing outside of TKD for fighting. You can forget about most of those WTF kicks on the street in jeans in a dangerous situation. It wouldn't be wise to try out, even if you could. The same is true in a K1/kickboxing arena. In most fighting involving kicks and punches, training in TKD rules is counterproductive.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point is that TKD sport has no bearing outside of TKD for fighting. You can forget about most of those WTF kicks on the street in jeans in a dangerous situation. It wouldn't be wise to try out, even if you could. The same is true in a K1/kickboxing arena. In most fighting involving kicks and punches, training in TKD rules is counterproductive.

Sigh.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Strong words. Two things:

1) It would be highly unusual and irresponsible for a dojang to allow you to train full contact without protective equipment.

You have never heard of an irresponsible dojang?:D How many have you actually visited?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You have never heard of an irresponsible dojang?:D How many have you actually visited?
Seriously, I have broken bones and had bones broken through the protective gear. You weren't sparring full contact, believe me.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So you have Abs. of steel then, what happens if you get hit with a liver shot?
Now, I'm not a medical person but I always had the impression there was more to the body than just the stomach.

I've seen heart operations but that doesn't mean I know how to do them.

Liver shots. Love em.
I made a mate of mine barf and then cry from a liver shot through a hogu. It was his fault, he stepped forward onto my back kick! [emoji3]

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Seriously, I have broken bones and had bones broken through the protective gear. You weren't sparring full contact, believe me.

He did ask us to kick the person next to us, in the stomatch, to kondition our bodies. This I remember quite clearly (guess why:))

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Did you not spar your first 6 months in a KKW school?
Yes, of course. But without PPE = not full contact. Further to that, even with PPE, in the early stages both you and your opponent are not technically capable of generating full contact. You're not even capable of doing so against a mitt for quite a long time. So no, you haven't sparred full contact, sorry.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, of course. But without PPE = not full contact. Further to that, even with PPE, in the early stages both you and your opponent are not technically capable of generating full contact. You're not even capable of doing so against a mitt for quite a long time. So no, you haven't sparred full contact, sorry.

Ok, tough guy. I downed a red belt, but I don't remember which excercise it was. It was some type of fighting. Our training was not only against each other.

Latest Discussions