Chabi?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was doing some reading and I stumbled across this:

Triunity Martial Arts Studio
  • It was not until the twentieth century, in 1922, thatGichin Funakoshi brought together several fighting systems including Okinawa-Te, Jujitsu, Korean Chabi, and ancient Chinese Kempo, to develop Shotokan Karate, now considered the “classic” form of Japanese Karate.
I'd never heard of Chabi before so I did some Googling on Chabi. That lead me to pages like this one:

History - Kyokushin Karate of Florida - International Karate Organization IKO
  • At the age of 12, Yong-I Choi returned to Korea and started training in the Korean martial arts of Taiken or Chabi, which was a mixtures of different arts including Kempo, Kung Fu and Ju Jitsu.
...from which I infer that Chabi also goes by the name Taiken. Googling on Taiken didn't turn up anything useful, so maybe there's a different spelling. Then there's also this:

Taekwondo - Charles Stepan - Google Books
  • Korea's ancient martial arts roots encompass various disciplines. These include Taekyon, Kongsudo, Tangsudo, Taesudo, Kwan Bup, Tangsu, Subak, and Chabi (Taiken - a combination of Kenpo and Jujutsu).
Chabi and Taiken each get mentioned briefly on other threads in other forums here on Martial Talk.

Does anybody have any good references on Chabi? I'm just curious to know what it was. Also, the claim that Funakoshi studied Chabi seems odd. Any insights?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does anybody have any good references on Chabi? I'm just curious to know what it was. Also, the claim that Funakoshi studied Chabi seems odd. Any insights?

Based on that statement, I would surmise that chabi is just a Korean way of expressing 'tode' or 'tuidi', the old terms for Okinawan karate. I've never come across any reference that tuidi made its way to Korea however so take my conjecture with a huge grain of salt.