JD is using professor title for master!!!

T

tsunaminw

kaith, maybe im wrong but is there anything people do that you would think improper or wrong? it seems like you are always neutral when issues warrant calling a spade a spade so to speak.

im not trying to stir up trouble, but if something is wrong, im not dancing around it. its just wrong and ill say so,firmly,like a man.

datu inocalla(sp) should never be left out in that lineage either

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tsunaminw,
I -try- to be impartial in most matters. I try to look at all sides and remain mostly neutral so that all organizations feel welcome here to present their information. Too many places get ripped to shreads in the political crap.

In this particular matter, as I do not know Mr. Delaney, have never spoken to him, and as I am not a member of his organization, while I may disagree with him, it is not my place to tell him how to run his organization. I will state this: I have sent him several e-mails asking for his participation on this forum. I have also sent several emails asking for memorial information on Remy. I have recieved silence in reply. I would very much like to hear the 'official' answer to this and several other topics. I can not however, force hands to keyboard to type. I do not have enough facts to make a complete decision.

I meant no slight to any of the MOTTS, or DATUs in who I named or did not name. They were just examples that I knew off the top of my head. I missed 2 of the Datus, as I'm not certain what their ranks in MA are.

My -personal opinion- in this matter is that I have no problem with Mr. Bates using the title. I reviewed his web site, and between that, and information a few people have posted/emailed, I see his usage as a personal memory/tribute to GM Presas.

There is more to this, but I'm waiting on more information. I am also waiting on Mr. Kodai's input. The more I dig through the archives and other records, I begin to think I see where he is going, but I'm not sure.

Kodai. Wheres the info? :asian:

Thanks!

B

bloodwood

Sorry but Lisa knows better. A university professor and a Modern Arnis professor are clearly different and there is no way she could confuse the two. I believe her response is damage control to justify her using a title she has no right to use. And to say that anyone, in any of the Modern Arnis groups that is using the title professor, and is doing so as a tribute to PROFESSOR REMY is a bunch of bull s---. When someone in Modern Arnis says the word Professor to me I only think of one man, REMY.:angry:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bloodwood,
I agree. I have a question though (its at the end of this bit). On Mr. Bates website, he is listed as follows:
Michael T. "jr. prof" Bates
Executive Director I.M.A.F.

That is an exact cut/paste from his site. I find nowhere on his page where he calls himself "Professor". (comments from website in red.)

The link from professorpresas.com to Mr. Bates site is :
Michael T. Bates M. A. A Michael's School in Media, PA. Michael is the Executive Director of the I. M. A. F. Inc.

Again, it doesn't say "Professor".

On the same page, it has the following. Please note, this does use professor : Pallens Martial Arts: Official site of Professor Max Pallen, Grandmaster of Senkotiros, San Leandro, California

So, where does it say professor in regards to Mr. Bates and Ms. McManus? (thats not my question)

Answer : On the News page which is maintained by....Ms. McManus.
On Saturday, February 16, 2002, Grandmaster Max M. Pallen hosted the SAMA-SAMA Martial Arts Seminar in San Leandro, California. Grandmaster Jeffrey Delaney, Professor Michael T. Bates and I (Professor Lisa McManus) were invited to represented Modern Arnis at this very special event. Note: Check fast. Before they "rewrite" it
Who write it? Lisa McManus, Master Instructor of Modern Arnis, writes Camp Chronicles.
When was that stated? 2nd Annual Grandmaster Remy Presas Modern Arnis Camp in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on February 8, 9th and 10th

So, my question is: Why did she call both herself and Mr. Bates by the title "Professor"?

TimeLine:
2-16-02 Both are Professors
2-10-02 Ms McManus is a Master Instructor of Modern Arnis. Mr. Bates is listed as host, but without a title.
Previous to this date, there are no titles attached to either individual in the news. Just a name.

Interesting isn't it?

:shrug:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith is the owner and the designer of this site. He must remain neutral at all times in this forum. If people thought that he would play favorites, they might consider this a biased forum. He alone is the ultimate word on what happens on this forum. I, on the other hand, am not bound by such restrictions.

For those who don't know me, I am Datu Tim Hartman, senior student of Grandmaster Remy Presas. I started training with him in the early 80's and have been by his side the entire time. Knowing the man he was, and having a father-son relationship with him, I feel the usage by Bates and McManus of the title Professor is an insult!

I will call a spade a spade in this case. These people are taking advantage of Remy's death. Everyone knows there is only one Professsor in Modern Arnis. Even though I have seen a certificate calling Bates a "junior" professor, it was so he would not have to use the title "MASTER BATES".

I feel that all of the IMAF Delaney directors except for Chad Dulin, are of low moral and ethical character. Time and time, again this group of people have been taking advantage of the fragile state of the Modern Arnis world. Many people have declined to make comments risking doing more damage. I have gotten many private e-mails pleading with me to do something about it. I have even had one of the MOTTs conveying to me that he thought I left the group too soon, knowing that I have a tendency of fixing problems of this nature. Of course in that case, the operative word he used was "soon" as opposed to saying that he wished I would have stayed.

Many people have misinterpreted who and what I am. I have a reputation of being a trouble maker, a traitor, a renegade. I am none of the above. I am a person who has always stood up for what I believe in and told people how I feel. I have always been a company man when it came to Remy. The thing that gave me a bad image was the fact that I was never a "yes" man. If I had a problem with Remy, I would tell him. I would try to talk about things to help fix them, not to stir up more trouble. But as we all know, like cleaning a room or an office, sometimes you make a bigger mess before you can clean up the initial one.

I don't feel that all the members of Delaney's group are bad people. As I said, Chad Dulin is a good man. Many people don't know where to go and don't want to be left in the cold. And like moving out of a neighborhood, you don't want to be hasty and move into a worse one.

As I have said in other posts, everything will come full circle and justice will prevail. I just hope we don't lose too many people in the process. Unfortunately, things usually get worse before they get better.

:soapbox: :cuss: :flammad:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In which department at Norwich is Ms. McManus a Professor? I assume her title is as an adjunct faculty member? I am surprised, frankly--an appointment of this type is generally as an Instructor, not Professor.

I did not find her listed on the web site as a member of the faculty.

T

tsunaminw

lol,master bates .

ok kaith, i understand. as a moderator i can see what you must do at times,otherwise,vanilla nuetral people drive me crazy these days.

its a good thing my site is not up and running,i will make a poor impartial judge. ill have to settle for having a good site that tends to make alot of people mad,lol

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tsunaminw

ok kaith, i understand. as a moderator i can see what you must do at times

Kaith is in fact not only a moderator but is also the Administrator, meaning that he runs the software and selected the other three moderators who are therefore his assistants in this regard. I respect his attempts to be impartial so that all feel welcome here! It seems to be working well.

T

tsunaminw

yes,wrong choice of words on my part arnisador,i knew what you meant tho.

S

Susumu Kodai

You have found the clues. Very good. The eyes begin to open. Now, dig further. Only by examining the information yourself, can one make a conclusion. You must find your own way. I am but a guide.

Here, more hints for you to follow:

Look for a recent "Who's Who in Modern Arnis" that was published within the last 2 years. Very few of the recently revield 'players' were in fact listed there. Delaney was not among those listed.

Is it customary for a part time teacher of a gym class to be called professor? I thought you required tennure? (is that word?)...or has American education fallen so far?

How can someone who was a Brown Belt 2 years ago, suddenly be a 4th degree Black? Is there serious rank-inflation here, or can she truely 'walk the walk' as you say?

There is more. Spoon feed you I must, for the truth is great, but to find it yourself is the only true way.

I remain, Kodai.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very interesting Kodai......

Interesting too on your rapid improvement in grammer.....

Very interesting, indeed.......

Back on original tangent....
another question : Does Ms McManus also maintain their website?

:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Susumu Kodai

Is it customary for a part time teacher of a gym class to be called professor? I thought you required tennure?

It does not require tenure, however, it is typical for such a person to be an Instructor, not a Professor.

S

Susumu Kodai

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

Very interesting Kodai......

Interesting too on your rapid improvement in grammer.....

Very interesting, indeed.......

Oh, you no likey how i speekee? :waah: :2xbird: :EG:

We are all seekers of Truth. Some lead. Others Follow. I point the way.

The conclusion is : Jeff Delany is a Fraud. He is not a worthy successor to the only true Professor of Modern Arnis, GrandMaster Remy Amador Presas. Mr. Delany awards inflated ranks and titles while promoting a watered down version of the art that Remy spent his life on.

I point to the information sources. You must go, read for yourselves the information. And then, draw own conclusions from that which you read.

When one controls the source of information, one can control everything.

Know this: There is more to this tale. More information awaits.

I remain, Kodai.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry Kodai,
You don't point the way. You dick around. If you pointed the way you'd just say, "Here is where you can find _____." Please be more forthcoming or just be forthgoing.
Dan :soapbox:

S

Susumu Kodai

Master Anderson,

I will attempt to point more clearly.

I will address Ms. McManus first:

Based on Kaiths comment above, he took time to look.
TimeLine:
2-16-02 Both are Professors
2-10-02 Ms McManus is a Master Instructor of Modern Arnis. Mr. Bates is listed as host, but without a title.
Previous to this date, there are no titles attached to either individual in the news. Just a name.

For those too busy to look further, I will spell out things, with links:

Revised TimeLine:

10-14-2000
Lisa McManus listed as 2nd BlackBelt at Fall Camp (http://web.archive.org/web/20001027042323/www.modernarnis.com/news.htm)

2-13-01 Ms McManus listed as 3rd (http://web.archive.org/web/20010409185656/modernarnis.com/news.htm)

10-20-01 Ms Mcmanus is now a Master instructor. (http://web.archive.org/web/20020308164359/http://www.professorpresas.com/news.htm)

2-10-02 Ms McManus is a Master Instructor of Modern Arnis.

2-16-02 Ms McManus is a Professor.

I ask, what is her current official rank?

According to this:
http://web.archive.org/web/20001204160000/www.modernarnis.com/news.htm
In conjunction with this ceremony, several of the above named recipients were also promoted the award of Master rank having been promoted to 5th degree black belt status: (1) Jeff Delaney, (2) Chuck Gauss, (3) Gaby Roloff (Germany), (4) Ken Smith.

which is taken from the "press release" issued by mr. Delaney after his assumption of the throne, a "Master" in Modern Arnis is a 5th.

Where and when did she test for her 5th? Or was it a back room promotion, same as Mr. Delaneys promotion to 5th, and Grandmaster?

All of this information is taken from the 'official' IMAF web site. It was posted by them, by Ms McManus herself, so there can be no accusations of 'editing'.

There is no mention of her being promoted to 5th. There is no mention of her being promoted to Master. There is no mention of her being promoted to "professor". So, either she has been 'awarded' paper titles, or has the disrespect to give herself the title of "Master" and "Professor" based on the fact that she teached a glorified gym class. Either way, she disrespects the legacy of the man who without, she would not have been named "Arnis Instructor of the Year" in 1999. She is talented, but still, dishonorable.

I will address Mr. Delaney shortly.

I remain, Kodai.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can anyone fill in Mr Kodais blanks?

I mean, before someone threatens to shove his riddles up his backside?

:soapbox:

(I am rapidly losing my patience for Trolls)

Kodai, no more riddles. Put your bloody facts up.

:flammad: :rpo: :miffer:

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
no offense to anyone, but i like this guy kodai. he is not just gossiping, but he is giving you the truth to see for yourself. and i respect that. he's not just saying things but he s showing you where he heard that information.

Latest Discussions