JD is using professor title for master!!!

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tapps

I wrote the " Next Generation Article" that has been mentioned in this thread. The goal in writing this article was to enhance the profile of the art and help secure it's continuation.This is my take.

Black Belt magazine then took my 18 pages and cut it down to a sidebar. This is very much there right but it caused a little bit of confusion.

My point here is: All six of those individuals were, at the time of publication, among the top students of Professor Presas. I know this for a fact because I personally asked him. Others were very active and I do not mean to disrespect that. My 2 cents is that these six should be high on any list of Remy's top students.

Hey Tapps,
You should post the entire 18 pages or at least make it available for someone (such as myself :D ) to pick up a copy in Buffalo in May.
Dan :cheers:

P

Parker

I was given the honorific (horrific?) Durable by my current playmates, for my ability to take a beating that will kill most men and get up with vigorous effort.

I have a couple Remy Prensas T-shirts, so is that like meeting him for title purposes?

Guys, it's not what you are called, it's how you can mix it up and what you can impart. I do not do "martial arts" for this reason but instead close combat. No belts for me, no titles, but you can call me "grassmole" if I bruise you :soapbox:

:fart: This has to be the coolest smiley ever!

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you found our site. Looking forward to your input.

:drinkbeer :drink2tha :cheers: :jediduel: :flushed:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by WhoopAss

Hey,

Who is this Renegade/Gatorade ????:D :D :samurai: :uzi: :flame:

WOOOOO!!!

Brian,
everyone knows that the Renegade is (Dramatic Pause), Tim Hartman!

:biggun: :samurai: :armed:

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Renegade,

I know who you are......I was just yanking your chain (must be the MAO influence here !!).

Hope that things are going great.

Take care,

WOOOOOOO!!!!!

:cheers: :drink2tha

T

tigerstorm

Gentleman,
I do not study Arnis and so I may be out of line by entering into the talk, and I am by no means defending a fifth degree ALLOWING himself to be addressed as Professor, but I would like to contribute alitte if I may. Grandmaster William K.S. Chow was know as Professor, and in his thinking he allowed practitioners to be associate Professor at 5th and Professor at 6th. Now as I said I do not study Arnis and am not familiar with your traditions all Im offering is that perhaps if this man we're speaking of, is now not so highly thought of he is trying to branch off on his own and in doing so he is changing what you view as correct in title distribution. This is both statement and question at the same time. Could that be the direction he is going?
Tigerstorm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Modern Arnis is new enough that we are still making traditions! With the proliferation of organizations, who knows what's right. Some are doing away with the zeroth degree black belt and starting at first degree, for example, which will cause confusion, and there are more titles than one can count. It's a mess!

T

tigerstorm

So like I said before could it be that this man is trying to branch out on his own to make a name for himself and, now lets go further, get himself those "all important titles"? In making a student who wears a fifth be titled professor wouldnt that make it more exeptable for the higher to have legitimate claim, in there minds anyway, to higher titles? I guess Im just wondering myself why you would take a tradition, if that be the right word and change it when the current tradition isnt very old. The only explanation that I can come up with is that hes tryign to make his own version of modern Arnis.
Tigerstorm

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats possible, though I haven't heard anything to that extent myself. I personally believe that the main issue here is one of timing. In a year or 2, maybe then it would be seen as ok, but in this case, the new profs were showing up less than 6 months after the GM died. Alot of MA folks think it was tacky.

Sorta like getting married a month after ya buried your partner...it just -seems- wrong.

My opinion. That, and $1 will get ya a lottery ticket in NY. :D

:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith has put it well. It simply seems inappropriate for others to use the title Professor this soon after the Professor's passing.

T

tigerstorm

Ok Ive got alittle new info now. The Grandmaster in death could have promoted? This both question and statement. I know that lately I have been hearing alot of this idea, my Instructor has an interesting in branching out into his own system and has made it clear verbally ( and plans to written) that the system when created will be passed on to the next choice, not highest rank necassarily, (although in this case yes) but also in his passing he will have it documented that certain students namely the one to inherit will be promoted at the time of his passing. I know Im grasping at straws but with the new info it almost seemed to fit. So its my last thought I think on why it would or for that matetr could happen.
Tigerstorm

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you read back through the Modern Arnis forum, you'll see just how -hot- the situation has been, and still is. Sometimes, there seems to be so much political play going on in the MA world, as to make the Kenpo situation after Ed Parker Sr.'s death to appear mild by comparision.

Its a mess. :(

There is a will, and also a press release, and other postings and printings, that in each revision, only cloud the issue more.

I have seen information that indicates 3 of the Datus were to lead. (of course, each item contradicts the others). At one point there were 2 successors, then 2 co-grandmasters, now, 2 grandmasters. We've got the MOTTS, Datus, various Masters, etc. (The titles are a bit hard to follow at times, as they don't usually follow rank). Organizations have split, formed, vanished, re-emmerged, etc. Hell, Cousin Nell just called. Shes doing a Seminar in Hackensack with John Boy (whos a 12th ya know) :D

I'm saying this in jest, but in all seriousness, its confusing.

What Mr. Delaneys organization is doing is for the most part, public. The WHY is an unknown. I wish someone of rank from his organization would take the time and pop on over for a while, and publicly say "this is what we are doing, and this is why".

It removes alot of the pissing thats going on. And might let us get back to whats really important.

Learning and preserving the art that GM Presas shared with us.

MartialTalk is fortunate to have members from most of the MA organizations as its contributors, both publicly and anonymously. The more input, the better informed we can all be.

:asian:

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quote from David Hoffman, VP, IMAF; long time student of and first United States official Black Belt awarded from GM Remy Presas:

Professor Lee Lowery
In the early days we knew him as Sifu Lee. He is an example, like Professor Dan Anderson, of someone who was awarded the Professor of Martial Arts title because of their seniority and accomplishment. The title was external to Modern Arnis as we did not use the title except as a nickname of affection for our teacher: The Grandmaster. Unlike some arts that do use the title formally.

EndQuote

From David Hoffman's post to the Were are they now?" thread and from a conversation that I had with him in Raleigh a couple of weeks ago, it appears that the title of Professor is an external title to Modern Arnis and only was a term of affection for GM Remy Presas.

Palusut

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dear Palusut,
I was introduced to Remy Presas as "Professor Presas." To me, this was his title much like someone would be named "Sensei Smith."

Dear Kaith,
I am a devoted follower of Cousin Nell AND John Boy so I take your comment as an insult! :fart: Take that! :barf: And that! I'd horsewhip you if I had a horse! :cuss:

Dear Tigerstorm,
Yes, it is sad that this has reared its ugly head but it has. The key thng is to train and to not take the rest of the muck too seriously...unless you declare me as the personification of pure Modern Arnis. Then you should fight to your (not mine) last breath defending my good name. And it is a good name. I like it.
:D

All for now - see y'all in Buffalo.
Dan :cheers:

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

Yes I agree with you, the title of "Professor" was a term of respect as well as a term of affection from his students.

Best regards,

Palusut

PS: Mr Anderson, you don't go by the name, "Neo", do you? If so, picture attached:D .

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry Dan,

Here is picture.

Kaith,

When "Preview Post" is selected, attached picture is lost.

Best regards,

Palusut

Attachments

• $matrix3.jpg
    $matrix3.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 188

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan,
Its not easy being green. :D

Palusut,
I'll look into that. It shouldn't disappear. Hmm.

Latest Discussions