Jacob’s 2017 highlights

Discussion in 'Competitive Art Videos' started by CB Jones, Jan 2, 2018.

1. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Continuous sparring will teach this. A person doesn't have to get hard hits to understand the value of keeping the hands up.

2. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

I remember you saying this when people commented on the first sparring video you posted. It will eventually happen.

Totally agree but with many times with point sparring, it requires less of you in terms of protecting yourself the biggest issue is after scoring disengage. At the minimum disengage the attack, but not the defense. He hasn't learned to acknowledge the danger that he was putting himself in, but to be honest I don't expect him to understand until he matures more within his system as a self-defense activity and not a point sparring one.

I suck at point sparring because I'm all about self-defense and my acceptance that I will get hit. This alone makes me a poor point sparring athlete lol.

3. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

You’re most likely correct. However, playing devil’s advocate here... we don’t know if he truly backed out early or not because we can’t hear the referees’ commands. For all we know, both of them could’ve thrown another technique or two after the ref gave the command to stop.

In competition, you have to stop when the ref tells you, otherwise you face DQ. Then again, the first rule of boxing also applies - “protect yourself at all times.”

But yes, I agree with what you’re saying on a realistic/real-world level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Our posts crossed here. Completely agree.

I too suck at point sparring because I’m willing to take a lesser shot in order to give a fight-ending one. There are always going to be holes in my (and everyone else’s) defense. The key is to have those holes where the likelihood of any real damage is minimal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

I agree with this. I was fortunate to see the first video that you posted so I can see the improvement, but only because I have something to compare it with. I can tell when someone "owns" a strategy that works for them. It will always looks like they command the strategy vs the strategy commanding them. When a person "owns it", it becomes customized vs the general "do it this way."

Keep in mind this doesn't mean that a strategy is a good one or bad one, but it definitely means that he's not fishing for something that works. He had his strategy on lock down and he customized with each opponent.

6. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

this is everyone. I'm still learning stuff the hard way lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

Thanks

He is getting more comfortable but more important is that I think he is starting to understand angles and spacing better and how to use them.

Agree. I keep telling him the same thing at least stay defensive and move out of range so you don’t get hurt. I think it’s just so much focus on the point that when he knows he scores it he stops. He usually has to learn the hard way. Stubborn just like his mom.

At the Dojo, the sparring is continuous 99% of the time so it’s not a problem there....but continuous sparring just isn’t that popular in tournaments. He doesn’t get much opportunity to compete in continuous.

8. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

Little of both.

At times its the ref calling break and him stopping...should still stay defensive and protect himself though.

Other times he just stops because he knew he got the point. Like at the 5:11 clip....he knew he scored and relaxed for a split second and ate a jab. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

I can see this. A lot of continuous sparring looks like brawls because people throw away their techniques and only use what they comfortable fighting with, which is often basic kicks and punches. I think the "looking like a brawl" puts people off. I think it would be more popular if the participants were actually doing martial arts techniques.

My opinion is that continuous sparring takes more time and effort to learn how to with martial arts techniques. And the fact that most students don't get a lot of time to practice continuous sparring makes it more difficult for students to compete in it, and show some real martial arts techniques. I can't imagine many parents wanting to see their child brawl. I do think parents will like it if it looked more like this with various degrees of intensity for those who really want to go at it.

But unfortunately this type of sparring is beyond many children and even some adults because it requires control and an abandonment of "I'm trying to hurt this guy." For those who are of tougher build and have enough experience to protect them selves, they can spar at a higher intensity and through harder shots.

If they look like the video below, then they have not mastered the techniques enough to actually use martial arts and should be only be able to spar in the less intensive continuous sparring matches. I think the scoring will have to change as well. Big points should be given for the effort the successful attempts and unsuccessful attempts to use a martial arts techniques. I don't think martial arts continuous sparring can be scored the same way as boxing. There can be strike counts but it shouldn't be the only deciding factor. Technique should be a bigger factor, that way someone who just punches and lands street brawling strikes can't outscore someone who does techniques and lands them. Even if their punch count is lower.

• Agree Agree x 1