Jacob Jones 2018 Tournament Highlights

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jacob had a great year competing. He competed in 18 tournaments in Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Indiana winning 1st place in 17 of them and one 2nd place finish.

Out of 61 matches this year, he won 60 with only one loss..... (lost in the finals of the last tournament of the year....Trias Cup in Palm springs)

Great year....very proud of him.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A second place finish? Slacker!

It’s pretty cool following his progress. Thanks, brother.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jacob had a great year competing. He competed in 18 tournaments in Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Indiana winning 1st place in 17 of them and one 2nd place finish.

Out of 61 matches this year, he won 60 with only one loss..... (lost in the finals of the last tournament of the year....Trias Cup in Palm springs)

The best thing that I see out of the video is that it seems he's gotten out of that Point Sparring movement that I used to see. His movement, set up, and strikes have more intent now. It looks like he doesn't just want a tap to score. It also looks like he's taking the time to understand his opponent vs beating the opponent with speed all the time. He's planning his routes of attacks. 60 wins is awesome.

He's got a big advantage over the taller participants. Those guys are still trying to learn how to use their body lol. It's good he doesn't fear heights (tall people).

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome. Except for his last match of the year, of course.

;)

He probably needed it. Good time to lose since he has to wait almost 2.5 months before tourneys kick back up. Let him stew on it for awhile.....lol.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He probably needed it. Good time to lose since he has to wait almost 2.5 months before tourneys kick back up. Let him stew on it for awhile.....lol.
Out of the 61 fights, how many different opponents did he actually have? I saw one or two that looked like he fought more than once, but not very many. Then again, the uniforms and helmets make making out who’s who a bit difficult.

Just a curiosity question. I wonder how many people are following the same circle of competitions.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Shades of Dominic Cruz.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To me, the loss at the end is a good thing. If he won all his matches, he'd have nowhere to go but down. Now he can strive to surpass himself next year! And it can give him a focus for the year (winning that specific tournament at the end of the year, if it's a yearly one).

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Out of the 61 fights, how many different opponents did he actually have? I saw one or two that looked like he fought more than once, but not very many. Then again, the uniforms and helmets make making out who’s who a bit difficult.

Just a curiosity question. I wonder how many people are following the same circle of competitions.

Correct. Of the 61, he faced 23 different opponents. There were a few that aren't on the video.

There are 4-5 competitors that travel like he does and he faced multiple times this year.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shades of Dominic Cruz.

One of his 4 favorite fighters...:) He will like that comment very much.

He likes watching

1. Conor Mcgegor
1a. Josh Quayhagen (Personal Friend fights for Karate Combat)
3. Dominic Cruz
4. Cowboy Cerrone

Alot of his movement and the idea of continual movement comes from watching Cruz

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Correct. Of the 61, he faced 23 different opponents. There were a few that aren't on the video.

There are 4-5 competitors that travel like he does and he faced multiple times this year.
Did he ever beat the one who beat him?

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Jacob had beaten him this year in the Semifinals at the USKA World Championships.

The kid is from out west (Phoenix) so they only compete against each other once or twice a year. Over the last 3 years they have fought 5 times and this was the 1st time he has beat Jacob. It was tied up at the end of the match and he won sudden death. He was excited.....Jacob not so much...lol.

The kid has become one of Jacob's friends so its fun to watch them be competitive and fight hard and then 10-15 minutes later be hanging out and goofing off together.

They are some good kids and its fun watching them progress.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

He is the kid Jacob is fighting at the 4:35 - 5:06 mark of the video. That was at the USKA World Championship this year.

Good Kid. Trains in Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu and also runs track

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome vid, and far out that many wins I can see why! His speed and timing is so darn good, and is confidence in committing to an attack, even if it's an aggressive or taller opponent is so cool.

I'd so love to spar him (not a challenge!), I could learn alot from this cat for my tournaments haha :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like your sons handwork a lot. If it wasn't for his record, I'd say he's in the wrong sport and should take on boxing. It proves that punches shouldn't be ignored in TKD though, like a lot of people seem to think.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of his 4 favorite fighters...:) He will like that comment very much.

He likes watching

1. Conor Mcgegor
1a. Josh Quayhagen (Personal Friend fights for Karate Combat)
3. Dominic Cruz
4. Cowboy Cerrone

Alot of his movement and the idea of continual movement comes from watching Cruz

His in and out game is decent, he seems to understand foot positioning for punching. He lands a lot more counter punches (and just punches in general) than you normally see in tkd.

He'd probably transition well to MMA or Mt/kickboxing

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
His in and out game is decent, he seems to understand foot positioning for punching. He lands a lot more counter punches (and just punches in general) than you normally see in tkd.

The organization he trains with refers to itself as Korean Karate due to its founder training at the Chung Do Kwan in Korea in the late 40s. But back in the US the founder and students were very active in competing in the USKA so there is a lot of Karate influence over the last 60 years.

On the belt certificates it still references TKD but it has more in common with the blended style of American Karate.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like your sons handwork a lot. If it wasn't for his record, I'd say he's in the wrong sport and should take on boxing. It proves that punches shouldn't be ignored in TKD though, like a lot of people seem to think.

We have been working a lot on him incorporating more combos. Get in....hit your combo and then exit at a good angle.

Really like it when he is mixing in combos and side kicks.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The organization he trains with refers to itself as Korean Karate due to its founder training at the Chung Do Kwan in Korea in the late 40s. But back in the US the founder and students were very active in competing in the USKA so there is a lot of Karate influence over the last 60 years.

On the belt certificates it still references TKD but it has more in common with the blended style of American Karate.
My uncle signed up at a local TKD McDojo a while back. During sparring, everyone was telling him “why are you throwing punches? Punches don’t score points.” His reply was “I’m not here to score points.” This was every class, not competition specific classes.

I’m glad that same mentality isn’t everywhere in TKD.