It's gotta happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay folks, back on track.

Here is what I want to occur for a second symposium:

1. I looked up the word "symposium" and the definitions do not fit the event so I will not use it. It has nothing to do with feelings connected to the event. This event will not be a formal meeting or discussion of subject, published collection of opinions or a drinking party in ancient Greece hence the name symposium will be scrapped as inappropriate.

2. Expenses should be paid for instructors. If possible, instructors should be paid something over the top if that as well. I have a student of mine in North Carolina (who is a successful businessman and a college faculty member) working on sponsorship through a bank. I just talked to him this morning and he is excited about putting it on at the college.

3. No vendor charges. Each instructor will be able to sell his wares for no event fee.

4. Lunch breaks!!! As my student is a faculty member at his college, he might be able to secure dorm and cafeteria facilities for the event.

5. The instructional staff are to be first generation senior students of Remy Presas. I have no gripe about the instruction at the first symposium. It was all first rate. For this to be a true Modern Arnis event, I want only the senior instructors under Remy Presas. My list is:
SM Roland Dantes
SM Dan Anderson
Datu Tim Hartman
Datu Dieter Knuettel
Datu Kelly Worden
Datu Shishir Inocalla
MoTT Randi Schea (or any of the other MoTTs in his stead)
MoTT Jeff Delaney
Master At Arms Bram Frank

6. The set up will either be each master will have a particular time slot to teach in or circuit training (work the instructors like mules). I am personally in favor of the circuit training. I missed out on a number of instructors with the pick and choose method.

7. NO POLITICAL STUFF! Here I will be the pot calling the kettle black. I have had squabbles with others regarding this and that but for this to be a true Modern Arnis Masters Expo (or some other title) it has to be strictly non-political. All the above named first generation senior students of Remy Presas must be invited. It will be up to them to either accept or decline.

I have no date yet except it is for 2005. I will be getting touch, first by email and then by phone, the above named masters so that a date which does not conflict with previously scheduled plans can be chosen.

It will hinge on point #2 but it is looking more and more real all the time. Thank you for all the suggestions and positive input so far. Keep it up. All for now.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:

1. I looked up the word "symposium" and the definitions do not fit the event so I will not use it. It has nothing to do with feelings connected to the event. This event will not be a formal meeting or discussion of subject, published collection of opinions or a drinking party in ancient Greece hence the name symposium will be scrapped as inappropriate.

Yours,
Dan Anderson
That idea of Symposium is probably the root of the disconnect/criticisms about last years event. It was intended as a 'discussion of the subject' through demonstration/presentation of the various directions each presenter took MA - whether it was "root" or "variant" of MA concepts/artistic directions. I think that people who didn't understand that symposium idea as the event theme WERE expecting something more in the vein of what you are proposing.

I love the responsible consideration of what to call it to reduce future confusion. If all these folks could be put in one place AND the politics is nullified, it will be a thing to behold.

So, I am guessing that it is tenatively set for N. Carolina: what college/town?

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
So, I am guessing that it is tenatively set for N. Carolina: what college/town?
Yes. I'm not there yet so I'm not saying. So many pieces need to fall into place yet it is still in the "talk about" phase. I don't want to jinx anything yet.
Once I have hard facts, then I will let you all know AS IT HAPPENS. To me, what will make this work is OPEN communication so as I KNOW things, I will let you know right away.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Yes. I'm not there yet so I'm not saying. So many pieces need to fall into place yet it is still in the "talk about" phase. I don't want to jinx anything yet.
Once I have hard facts, then I will let you all know AS IT HAPPENS. To me, what will make this work is OPEN communication so as I KNOW things, I will let you know right away.

Yours,
Dan Anderson
Cool right in the old backyard!!!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, this is not about the past, my comments and personal opinions and feedback are about this possible event.

Dan Anderson said:

I agree with the choice not to use the name Symposium. I also agree that
the host or coordinator can call it what ever they wish too. :) Maybe a contest, for the best name selection?

Dan Anderson said:
2. Expenses should be paid for instructors. If possible, instructors should be paid something over the top if that as well. I have a student of mine in North Carolina (who is a successful businessman and a college faculty member) working on sponsorship through a bank. I just talked to him this morning and he is excited about putting it on at the college.

It is good to always plan to cover expenses. It is also good to have good organization, and with a person who knows the facilities. Looking good so far to me.

Dan Anderson said:
3. No vendor charges. Each instructor will be able to sell his wares for no event fee.

This is nice and generous of the host and organizers. :D

Dan Anderson said:
4. Lunch breaks!!! As my student is a faculty member at his college, he might be able to secure dorm and cafeteria facilities for the event.

Thank You. I enjoy eating in the middle of the day. It usually is my largest meal of the day.

Dan Anderson said:
5. The instructional staff are to be first generation senior students of Remy Presas. I have no gripe about the instruction at the first symposium. It was all first rate. For this to be a true Modern Arnis event, I want only the senior instructors under Remy Presas. My list is:
SM Roland Dantes
SM Dan Anderson
Datu Tim Hartman
Datu Dieter Knuettel
Datu Kelly Worden
Datu Shishir Inocalla
MoTT Jeff Delaney

Nice list. I would like to see everyone of them make it.

Dan Anderson said:
6. The set up will either be each master will have a particular time slot to teach in or circuit training (work the instructors like mules). I am personally in favor of the circuit training. I missed out on a number of instructors with the pick and choose method.

I would not mind the circuit, for this would allow all the participants a chance to see everyone.

Dan Anderson said:
7. NO POLITICAL STUFF! Here I will be the pot calling the kettle black. I have had squabbles with others regarding this and that but for this to be a true Modern Arnis Masters Expo (or some other title) it has to be strictly non-political. All the above named first generation senior students of Remy Presas must be invited. It will be up to them to either accept or decline.

I agree with this approcah as well.

Dan Anderson said:
I have no date yet except it is for 2005. I will be getting touch, first by email and then by phone, the above named masters so that a date which does not conflict with previously scheduled plans can be chosen.

It will hinge on point #2 but it is looking more and more real all the time. Thank you for all the suggestions and positive input so far. Keep it up. All for now.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Good Luck, I wish this and other Modern Arnis events success.

:asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan,
First of all, I wish you the best of luck with your event.

At the risk of annoying some, one must examine the past to improve the future. That is what I'm going to do here, focusing pretty much on the promotional area as the tallent/at-event setup/personalities and political are areas I either am not qualified to look at, or simply care less to delve into.

An event of this magnitude should be properly promoted. The prior event failed in many ways to attract the attention it deserved.

I suggest the following:

1- A website. I don't say this because I host/design. I'll gladly do either or both, but if not, no worries. I say this as having a website gives you a central location to serve information to the public. A central repository if you will. It allows you to better coordinate your efforts, and forms a 'home base' to launch your marketing attack from.

2- 1 thread per forum. The previous event had it's information scattered across many threads, making it hard to stay upto date, or even find information when needed. 1 thread, which you can keep updated with news, changes and progress.

3- Start early. 3 months before the event is not the time to put up the website and make the announcement. Allow 1 year to really get the word out.

4- Contact the major martial arts magazines, forums, mailing lists and organizations, and do it early.

5- See my articles for some extra info. http://rustaz.com/writings/nonfiction/index.htm
I recommend "You built it, but will they come?" and "How to Organize a Convention in 10 easy steps". THe later is geared towards sci-fi cons, but may be of some help.

6- Reread the past constructive critisism of the prior event, and learn from it.

I still believe that if the seniors can put ego, position, politics and past hurts aside, a truely excellent and exciting event can occur. I wish you success on pulling it off.

Just remember....the women find bald men attractive...just look at Patrick Stuart and Telly Savalas. :)

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith,

No annoyance on any of these. I asked for suggestions. I especially like the website one. I don't know about taking a full year to publicize th event but yes, get the word out a good time in advance. Aside from e-advertising, hard copy advertising (mail outs) is going to be essential as well. I know quite well the mistakes of the last one and I am going to avoid those like the plague. Right now, word-of-mouth and enthusiasm are the front line.

Thanks again,
Dan Anderson

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Hey folks,
If this goes down as we are planning you won't have to camp out anywhere. We'll use the college.
Dan
This sounds like 'going old school' back to the Michigan summer camp days from what I have heard from Rich C and Jerome/Tim K.... I hope it works out. The convenience and logistical simplicity of a campus would be great. Another thing to consider would be a summer camp or boy scout camp if it came down to it. There would be a kitchen (though food service would have to be arranged), sleeping quarters/shower and toiletry facilities, open and covered areas for workouts and a great view to boot. Just an idea.

I think there is already a "martial arts summer camp" that usually caters to kids that uses this approach. TKD org.s have been known to do this as well from the little time I spent in TKD with USTA and ATA.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was speaking to two different people and two good questions came up (it matters not who asked and I will say that they came up as questions, not flames):

1. Why is Bram Frank on the list? He isn't a datu, senior master, MoTT, high ranker, or an acknowledged senior in the art?
2. Why isn't Datu David Hoffman on the list?

1. I acknowledge the lack of higher ranking and senior titles/status. Bram has researched an area most Modern Arnisadors are lacking in - Modern Arnis use of the blade. He lives in Florida where Prof. Presas also had property and spent a lot of time in. Bram and RP spent a lot of time together. When you see the bolo DVDs or his modular series DVDs, you see that what he is doing is Modern Arnis blade, not Sayoc or Pekiti. That he has had other influences as well, okay. I looked over a video of his last night and saw a number of drills I haven't seen before. Could they have been (insert name of any other well known or not so well known blade instructor here) drills? I suppose. I don't really know so I can't really say. It also doesn't matter to me. Look at what he is doing in present time. This is Modern Arnis blade.

2. I didn't put David Hoffman on the list because apparantly he has dropped off the face of the earth. The last couple of emails I sent him (via private messages from different forums) have not been answered. He is somewhat of an enigma to me. It appears he submerges, surfaces, and submerges now and again. If he pops up and merely says, "Hi." I will extend an invitation to him as well. There is no need for him to ask to participate as RP gave him datu title and 5th degree as well.

I will not exclude Bram for the above reasons and I do not exclude David Hoffman either.

If you look at all the different FMA instructors Dieter Knuettel brought together for the 2004 FMA Festival, there's got to be someone in that line up who didn't like someone else. Or several for that matter. However, the FMA Festival got pulled off and it was a success. I want the same for us.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS- Gads! I've posted over a thousand times!?!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Hi All,

I was speaking to two different people and two good questions came up (it matters not who asked and I will say that they came up as questions, not flames):

1. Why is Bram Frank on the list? He isn't a datu, senior master, MoTT, high ranker, or an acknowledged senior in the art?
2. Why isn't Datu David Hoffman on the list?

1. I acknowledge the lack of higher ranking and senior titles/status. Bram has researched an area most Modern Arnisadors are lacking in - Modern Arnis use of the blade. He lives in Florida where Prof. Presas also had property and spent a lot of time in. Bram and RP spent a lot of time together. When you see the bolo DVDs or his modular series DVDs, you see that what he is doing is Modern Arnis blade, not Sayoc or Pekiti. That he has had other influences as well, okay. I looked over a video of his last night and saw a number of drills I haven't seen before. Could they have been (insert name of any other well known or not so well known blade instructor here) drills? I suppose. I don't really know so I can't really say. It also doesn't matter to me. Look at what he is doing in present time. This is Modern Arnis blade.

2. I didn't put David Hoffman on the list because apparantly he has dropped off the face of the earth. The last couple of emails I sent him (via private messages from different forums) have not been answered. He is somewhat of an enigma to me. It appears he submerges, surfaces, and submerges now and again. If he pops up and merely says, "Hi." I will extend an invitation to him as well. There is no need for him to ask to participate as RP gave him datu title and 5th degree as well.

I will not exclude Bram for the above reasons and I do not exclude David Hoffman either.

If you look at all the different FMA instructors Dieter Knuettel brought together for the 2004 FMA Festival, there's got to be someone in that line up who didn't like someone else. Or several for that matter. However, the FMA Festival got pulled off and it was a success. I want the same for us.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS- Gads! I've posted over a thousand times!?!

Dan,

I will say the same thing to you as I said to others. The host has the right to ask whomever they wish to ask. Host priviledge.

Now I agree it would be nice to be open like you are, and offering it where and when you can.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Dan,

I will say the same thing to you as I said to others. The host has the right to ask whomever they wish to ask. Host priviledge.

Now I agree it would be nice to be open like you are, and offering it where and when you can.

I agree with Rich. He stated what I was thinking.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
My list is:
SM Roland Dantes
SM Dan Anderson
Datu Tim Hartman
Datu Dieter Knuettel
Datu Kelly Worden
Datu Shishir Inocalla
MoTT Jeff Delaney
Dan-

I think that you have a great list! Doesn't look like you left anyone out. You might want to consider not adding substitutions if some of the people from your list choose not to participate. I think in some cases, less is more. It might just be better to have less people on the card for logistical reasons.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan

I like your list, and if you can get half of them I'll be there. I got some questions and comments for you in planning the event.

1)Hey what about Rocky? He spent a lot of time with the Professor, and he was taught somethings that others weren't taught.

2) Having it at a university, or some kind of a camp area, boy scout/Baptist or what sounds good. The Texas Summer camps that Al Garza put on 99-01 were all held at Rice University. It was great to have lodging and meals at the same place.

3) Since you are planning on having so many instructors how about having it over 2-4 days? This way the teaching sessions would be long enough to really get something from these guys?

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Datu Puti said:
Dan-

I think that you have a great list! Doesn't look like you left anyone out. You might want to consider not adding substitutions if some of the people from your list choose not to participate. I think in some cases, less is more. It might just be better to have less people on the card for logistical reasons.

Dan

I agree here if you can't get these instructors don't substitue allow them to teach longer. Because of the long list I suggest having it spread over more days (see my previous post), although I would also like to see Rocky included in the list.

Mark

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
Dan

I like your list, and if you can get half of them I'll be there. I got some questions and comments for you in planning the event.

1)Hey what about Rocky? He spent a lot of time with the Professor, and he was taught somethings that others weren't taught.

2) Having it at a university, or some kind of a camp area, boy scout/Baptist or what sounds good. The Texas Summer camps that Al Garza put on 99-01 were all held at Rice University. It was great to have lodging and meals at the same place.

3) Since you are planning on having so many instructors how about having it over 2-4 days? This way the teaching sessions would be long enough to really get something from these guys?

Mark

Hi Mark,

1. Rocky would be wonderful. He is, however, one step removerd from mainstream Modern Arnis and this is the thrust of this camp.
2/3. That's the plan.

Dan-

Tim,

I'm inclined to agree at this point. A decent enought time with each instructor is my goal. We're still int he planning stages so we're flexible yet.

Rich,

You are absolutely correct. The host does have the priviledge. I do, however, want this to be more than the "Dan & Super Friends" show. This includes masters I barely know or haven't gotten along with in the past but all have one major thing in common - senior students of Remy Presas. THAT is the major criteria, not if they are part of my fan club or even better, satisfied book buyers (humor, folks, humor).

Right now the goal is to have it mid-August 2005. It will take a couple of weeks to shore up the instructor line up and then present it to the bank for sponsorship money. A very good plus point is that my student, the businessman, is hot as a pistol on it so we're rolling right along. Also, the proposed site is Brevard, NC. There is a college/university (I forget which) there and it is close to an airport. All for now.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.