It's gotta happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Update:

Jeff Delaney sent me a polite note declining to participate in the event. I thanked him privately and now publicly for the speedy and forthright reply.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Update:

Jeff Delaney sent me a polite note declining to participate in the event. I thanked him privately and now publicly for the speedy and forthright reply.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

For some reason, that doesnt surprise me.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Datu Puti said:
Did he say something wrong?

Respectfully, :asian:

Mr. Billings is just trying to keep the peace on the forum, and I respect that. I sent him a PM explaining my post. No problems.

Mike

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Addressing Kelly's concerns, a number of them have already been addressed in this thread. However, point by point:
1. Dan claims not to want any political problems during the organization of this event, yet two of the Professor's chosen Datu are not listed, there are 6 total.

1A. Dan may or may not agree, in the Western Hemisphere the Datu ranked practitioners were and are senior in status and longevity in the art of Modern Arnis, all 6 ! That would include Bong Sun Jornales, although not consistently active in the affairs of Modern Arnis (due to political choice) he none the less was active enough to sign and assist in the Promotions of both Tim Hartman and Dan Anderson himself.

1B. Additionally not listed is Datu David Hoffman, I believe David actually knew Professor Presas longer than any of us, and was trusted to deal with the personal trust of Professor's which is still in turmoil. So as we struggle for our positions in the public eye of martial arts Datu Hoffman is left to struggle with issues superseding anything we are personally facing as seniors of the art. His importance and status should not be ignored, he should be offered to participate in an event of this magnitude, he is a Datu of Modern Arnis...

2. Possibly he was not chosen by Dan because of Bram's personal issue's with Datu Hoffman?

3. Or Dan's personal and business association to Bram Frank who is now considered a senior in the re-written history of Modern Arnis? Since when? Since the passing of Professor? It seems that Chuck Gauss and Datu David were on Bram's Modern Arnis Examination Board for his first test in 1994 , how is that a Senior?

4. I also believe if this is indeed a Senior Instructor event that Dr. Wilfredo Matias who was indeed the Senior ranked 7th degree practitioner of Modern Arnis in North America when Professor was alive should be included.

5. In regards to Remy Jr. in the short 3 year time period since the inception of MARPPIO Remy Jr. has put forth a great deal of effort to spread the art of Modern Arnis and is succeeding without question. Like it or not he is the direct Presas Bloodline and is willing to teach and demonstrate his interpretation of the art next to anyone, further I attest to his skill level as being extremely exceptional for such an event. This fact alone opens the door for magazine editors to seek coverage to document a historical event involving the Son of Remy Presas and the actual seniors together in an instructional event.

6. In personal discussions with Randi Shea, he seems hesitant to be involved for a number of reasons, some which are mentioned here.

7. Well over 6 months ago I was contacted by Datu Tim Hartman to participate in a seminar with the Datus of Modern Arnis, I agreed, what happened to that event, is Dan Anderson now jumping ahead of the game in an effort to say it was first in the staging area? Let me say it since others won't, are there underline agenda's surrounding promoting this event?

8. Another concern worth mentioning is the proposed International participation of Datu Dieter and Senior master Tito Roland Dantes, anyone ever heard of baby steps? Could we actually put together an event and get the support of those within the United States prior to an attempt to capture the World? Big Dreams considering lingering issues still prevalent here in the United States...

Just some thought's
Datu

1A. As to the legacy, positioning, etc. of the Datus, I will not be drawn into this. This has already been addressed on various other threads and since Prof. Presas did not state anything to me regarding the title, I have nothing to offer one way or the other regarding it. Yes, the group of Datus includes Ric Jornales. If you look at the instructor line up, it consists of mainstream Modern Arnis instructors. Datu Bong teaches Arnis Sikaran. I have met and worked under Bong. I have the higest respect for him. He is my senior. And yes, he did okay my petition. My not listing him to the instructor line up is that his main art is Arnis Sikarn.

1B. I have already addressed why I did not initially invite David Hoffman.
2. I didn't put David Hoffman on the list because apparantly he has dropped off the face of the earth. The last couple of emails I sent him (via private messages from different forums) have not been answered. He is somewhat of an enigma to me. It appears he submerges, surfaces, and submerges now and again. If he pops up and merely says, "Hi." I will extend an invitation to him as well. There is no need for him to ask to participate as RP gave him datu title and 5th degree as well.

2. As I have stated many, many times before to many, many people, I base my relationships with other people on the basis of how we get along, not on the basis of how they get along with my friends. Any issues Bram and David have is their business. David and I have never had a cross word between us so there are no issues there. He has been invited privately and publicly on this thread. I hope he accepts.

3. This has also been addressed in this thread.
1. Why is Bram Frank on the list? He isn't a datu, senior master, MoTT, high ranker, or an acknowledged senior in the art?

1. I acknowledge the lack of higher ranking and senior titles/status. Bram has researched an area most Modern Arnisadors are lacking in - Modern Arnis use of the blade. He lives in Florida where Prof. Presas also had property and spent a lot of time in. Bram and RP spent a lot of time together. When you see the bolo DVDs or his modular series DVDs, you see that what he is doing is Modern Arnis blade, not Sayoc or Pekiti. That he has had other influences as well, okay. I looked over a video of his last night and saw a number of drills I haven't seen before. Could they have been (insert name of any other well known or not so well known blade instructor here) drills? I suppose. I don't really know so I can't really say. It also doesn't matter to me. Look at what he is doing in present time. This is Modern Arnis blade.
There is no attempt to re-write Modern Arnis history by me.

4. This has been addressed on this thread as well.
Was either Dr. Matias or Dr. Remy Presas, Jr. invited? No. They are wonderful instructors but I had to draw the line somewhere or else I would have to try and fund many, many more instructors than I could.

5. I think Dr. Presas has done a wonderful job of promoting the art in the short time MARPPIO has been in existance in the US. One heck of a job! My push for this event has nothing to do with whether it will sway or influence the magazine editors.

6. I am currently in communication with Dr. Schea and he has let me know of his concerns as well.

7. This is the first I have heard of a proposed Datus event. That would be great to see one occur. Am I jumping ahead in the staging of this? I suppose so since Tim never told me about the proposed event. Underlying agenda? No.

8. Baby steps? Big accomplishments do not occur without big dreams and the attempts to actualize them. I would never have become a world champion without having a big dream.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi All,

What began as an innocent query by Flatlander has turned into the usual sparring match.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the event, you may contact me personally at [email protected] .

I will answer all emails. I will not partake of any more Q&A or slash & burn cycles on this thread. I will update this thread as more data comes in.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Datu Puti said:
Did he say something wrong?

Respectfully, :asian:
I don't know? Did he? It was not a Mod warning, just a comment given fairly lightly. But I know the entire Mod/Admin team ends up reading all the Arnis threads when the slammin' starts.

-Michael

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Update:

I just spoke to Datu David Hoffman. He has declined my invitation to participate in the upcoming event. He has been tied up in the settlement of the Remy Presas estate and has gone to none of the events held in the recent past. I respect his decision to be solely focussed on his task as executor of the will and wish him the best of luck in seeing it to a conclusion at the soonest possible time.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

D

David Hoffman

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your invitation. As we discussed in our private conversation, I am not presently accepting invitations to teach at seminars or camps. This is a very difficult choice for me, I have had to refuse several other generous invitations to events I would have very much wanted to participate in. You will please note that, consistent with this, I am also on leave from the International Modern Arnis Federation. This is my first inactive status after over 20 years of active participation in my role as instructor of Modern Arnis, and administratively with the Federation as Vice-President and Executive Director of International Affairs and the International Board. I am taking this inactive role because I have accepted our beloved teachers’ nomination that I serve as executor of his estate. This role obligates me to no longer speak for myself, but for he who can no longer speak for himself. I am concerned that, if I continue to actively participate in organizations, events and forums, or otherwise take steps to promote my own career as an instructor, I may give the appearance of bias or otherwise have conflicts of interest with the difficult role I have accepted. You will please note that I also no longer offer my opinions and participation in public forums, also consistent with my fiduciary obligations.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As time goes by and people say they will or will not be there and if the place is finalised plase keep us up on whats going on. This could be a event for all to remember pesonaly as well as for many to pay their respects to their late teacher by showing not only what he taught but what they have done with that knowledge and how they have progressd sence his death.
I would hope that all could put their diffrences and politics aside in the name of brotherhood and the memory of the Professor

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know I said I would not entertain any more Q&As on this thread but before I do, it's time to squash a rumor.

There is no "do not invite" list. This in reference to anyone who was not on the of instructors I posted. This includes Jerome Barber, Tom Bolden, Rocky Paswik, Bong Jornales, (insert your favorite instructor left off the list here). I know these instructors personally and they are all fine instructors and have produced quality students. There are many instructors who have had kudos heaped upon them by various other instructors, organizations, and publications. There are tons of instructors out there who are excellent practitioners and teachers.

That being said, I will reiterate that there is no "do not invite" list for this event.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

E

Emptyglass

Datu Puti said:
Actually I was refering to GM Bobby's seminar on the 22nd.

:asian:

Hi there:

I don't think we've seen your pre-reg form come in yet for GM Taboada's seminar.

Just so you (and evveryone else) knows:

Seventy-five dollars before August 7th * Pre-registrationMust be postmarked by August 7th to receive the pre-registration rate

Eighty-five at the door or after August 7th

Hope to see you and hopefully a few of your students there to share the art of GM Bobby Taboada's Balintawak Arnis Escrima with us.

Sincerely,

Rich Curren

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Emptyglass said:
Hi there:

I don't think we've seen your pre-reg form come in yet for GM Taboada's seminar.

Just so you (and evveryone else) knows:

Seventy-five dollars before August 7th * Pre-registrationMust be postmarked by August 7th to receive the pre-registration rate

Eighty-five at the door or after August 7th

Hope to see you and hopefully a few of your students there to share the art of GM Bobby Taboada's Balintawak Arnis Escrima with us.

Sincerely,

Rich Curren

Not sure if I'll be coming in solo or with a group yet.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is an open letter to Dr. Remy Presas:

Dear Dr. Presas,

First of all I owe you an apology. I put together an instructor line up for a proposed Modern Arnis Masters camp I am attempting to put together. My initial pick for the instructor line up was composed of senior students of your father:

SM Roland Dantes - haven't heard back from him yet
SM Dan Anderson - promoter
Datu Tim Hartman - undecided
Datu Dieter Knuettel - accepted
Datu Kelly Worden - declined
Datu Shishir Inocalla - accepted
MoTT Randi Schea (or any of the other MoTTs in his stead) - undecided
MoTT Jeff Delaney - declined
Master At Arms Bram Frank - accepted

Next to each entry is whether they have accepted or declined or undecided as of this writing.

I was talking to Tim Hartman yesterday and he told me of a phone conversation he had with a WMAA board director, Sal Todaro, who brought up this point: I had invited a representative from every US Modern Arnis organization except MARPPIO. I had only looked at students who had trained under your father for many, many years. In the light in which this is brought up, I have made a grevious error and apologize for the slight.

I would like to invite you, or Demetrio, or MaryAnne to be one of the featured instructors at the proposed camp. It is in the planning stages as I write this. I have a student who is working on bank funding to handle instructor expenses. The date is tentatively August 2005 and will be held in Brevard, North Carolina.

I am posting this as an open letter to both MartialTalk and the WMAC forum so that this is not behind the scenes. If you accept this invitation, I would love it. If you decline, I understand.
Again, my apologies.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS -
The MartialTalk forum thread which has the most information that I have posted is
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15752&page=1&pp=15

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Update:

SM Roland Dantes has said he will be participating in the upcoming event barring any filming schedule conflicts. He is currently hip deep in a film project. He emailed me today and is supporting the project.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions