Is [your martial art] good for a "real fight"?

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, if youre really good at BJJ, you will be dangerous, like you will with judo etc. Do judo 5 times a week for 20 years and you'll be a monster and ragdoll almost anyone.

but in my view, i think you want to compare volume of training to effectiveness, thats when it gets interesting. here i believe regular boxing, strength training (atleast until you've taken out the easy gains within a year or two) and krav maga ranks high.

im not willing to move into the gym to learn self defense. If youre like me, in our 40s and willing to spend 2-4 hours a week learning something for self defense, what should that something be?
MMA to learn how to deal with truly resisting opponent + Krav to learn street tactics, tricks and avereness.
Or start with MMA, and later add Krav.

selfdefensestudent

White Belt
Reaction score
MMA to learn how to deal with truly resisting opponent + Krav to learn street tactics, tricks and avereness.
Or start with MMA, and later add Krav.
Sure but my goal is not to eat gangsters for breakfast and move in at the gym doing 30 hour training/week. More like 3 hours/week at most. Im old and want to defend myself against regular people. I think krav maga is plenty if i can find a descent trainer. Anyone know if Moshe Katz Israeli Krav International is a legit system? Theres so much different krav maga schools.

selfdefensestudent

White Belt
Reaction score
Remember this, you young bucks with sixpack and top grades from your schools wrestling team: We oldtimers have beer bellies, not sixpacks, and we have a fraction of your energy. If someone do judo throws on me, i'll probably break a bone. So no thanks.

It has to be really easy on the body: knees, elbows, boxing punches, no high kicks, some simple throws, holds and groundwork, pref the simplest moves from BJJ, judo etc that is effective, + the simplest any newbie can learn and do from muay thai without stretching or build up muscles for it. Also as the experts say, simple moves is what works, people generally dont do fancy acrobatics and accurate punches in a high stress fight like if you are attacked on the street.

selfdefensestudent

White Belt
Reaction score
And yes i have been in violent altercations several times, and all times i was in trouble, i really had no chanse because i had come from hospital surgery and things like this. Thats when predators attack, when they see you are weak. So i want to learn things i can use when im weak. Im in my 40s, the way things go in our countries here in europe where almost everything you can own and use to defend yourself legally is banned - even pepperspray, reaching retirement is not something im looking forward to. So knowing something i can use at that age, in worse shape than im in now, is what i want to learn.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had to pump the brakes on BJJ training, as adding it to karate took me out of the house more than my wife could tolerate, but I may be reenrolling before the summer for the noon classes that way it's not taking away from family time.

In any case, I remember watching a Joe Rogan video where he was describing BJJ as "the true martial art," his logic being as follows:

In an alternate reality, Deontay Wilder has never trained in boxing or any other martial art. For whatever reason, Deontay Wilder decides he wants a piece of you. However, you've got several years of training in a striking art under your belt. Rogan says that even in this scenario, if Wilder lands one on you, you're still going down regardless of your training.

However, if you're trained in BJJ, you will beat anyone who is not.

Eh... I dunno.

When you're rolling in BJJ, the other person isn't trying to strike you, nor are you trained to defend against being struck while rolling. In other words, a thug on the street is nowhere close to the same thing as a "spazzy white belt."

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you're rolling in BJJ, the other person isn't trying to strike you, nor are you trained to defend against being struck while rolling.
It may be suitable to develop striking skill and grappling skill separately. But if your grappling skill cannot deal with fists flying, your MA training is not complete.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
It may be suitable to develop striking skill and grappling skill separately. But if your grappling skill cannot deal with fists flying, your MA training is not complete.
Just ask Royce Gracie. He had to learn Muay Thai for a reason. I'll repeat this until the grave especially to the salty BJJ people who think they are well prepared for a solid butt kicking.

One knee in the belly is enough to make even a black belt cry for their momma.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure but my goal is not to eat gangsters for breakfast and move in at the gym doing 30 hour training/week. More like 3 hours/week at most. Im old and want to defend myself against regular people. I think krav maga is plenty if i can find a descent trainer. Anyone know if Moshe Katz Israeli Krav International is a legit system? Theres so much different krav maga schools.
If you notice, his recommendation of krav + mma didn't mention training 30 hours per week, and was in response to your question about what to do with 2-4 hours per week. If you've got 4 hours, 2 hours mma and 2 hours krav would be more efficient than 4 hours krav. Though I'm wondering why you asked when you clearly already have an answer in mind.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember this, you young bucks with sixpack and top grades from your schools wrestling team: We oldtimers have beer bellies, not sixpacks, and we have a fraction of your energy. If someone do judo throws on me, i'll probably break a bone. So no thanks.
Who do you think is still on a forum like this, where the format went out of style 10-15 years ago? If you're in your 40s, you're on the younger side of the people reading/commenting here. Just from a quick glance, if you go three posts down from your last post, you'll hit someone who's quite literally been teaching longer than you've been alive.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who do you think is still on a forum like this, where the format went out of style 10-15 years ago? If you're in your 40s, you're on the younger side of the people reading/commenting here. Just from a quick glance, if you go three posts down from your last post, you'll hit someone who's quite literally been teaching longer than you've been alive.
Did you have to just say it like that? I mean, think of the villagers.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two words: Christopher Meloni.

There are two types of men going into the 50's and 60's.

I want to be this type. The key enemies are sugar, bread, alcohol, smoke, and of course, sitting at a keyboard.

1700291958030.jpeg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two words: Christopher Meloni.

There are two types of men going into the 50's and 60's.

I want to be this type. The key enemies are sugar, bread, alcohol, smoke, and of course, sitting at a keyboard.

View attachment 30317
I keep up with the kids at work (very physical work) well, though I ache more than they do (and accumulate injuries I have to heal in the off season). Keyboard time is my biggest problem, by far.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I keep up with the kids at work (very physical work) well, though I ache more than they do (and accumulate injuries I have to heal in the off season). Keyboard time is my biggest problem, by far.
The science says don't sit for more than 30m. There are just so many downsides to sitting for prolonged periods, obesity, blood pressure, loss of muscle mass, diabetes, heart disease.

For a while I did almost 100% of my posting here from a PC. Now I rarely do just for that reason, I find that what adds the most sitting time to my day is reading and writing on the Web.

So now I pace around when I'm here, get my daily steps in and a little exrcise. It adds up! I did a few thousand steps last week this way.

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Boxing & Judo...end off.
all that high kicking stuff is just not going to work in most cases unless of course you train every day like a pro but 95% don´t.
ain´t gonna work in a crowded bar, boxing or Wing tsun , Gung Fu or any boxing art

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The science says don't sit for more than 30m. There are just so many downsides to sitting for prolonged periods, obesity, blood pressure, loss of muscle mass, diabetes, heart disease.

For a while I did almost 100% of my posting here from a PC. Now I rarely do just for that reason, I find that what adds the most sitting time to my day is reading and writing on the Web.

So now I pace around when I'm here, get my daily steps in and a little exrcise. It adds up! I did a few thousand steps last week this way.
I tried using a standing desk for a while, but I'd have to have one that converts. I can't stand for long periods (my knees and back get achy). I'd love to put the money into a really nice convertible desk.

Latest Discussions