Looking for Active Pekiti Tirsia Kali Classes in Philadelphia

Emanuel77

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a gym or martial arts school in Philadelphia that offers Pekiti Tirsia Kali classes and currently has active classes. Pekiti Tirsia Kali has always fascinated me, and I'm eager to start training in this martial art.

If you're aware of any places in Philadelphia where I can learn Pekiti Tirsia Kali from experienced instructors, please share your recommendations. I'm particularly interested in gyms or schools with classes happening right now.

Any information or insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Let's help each other find the best training opportunities in our city!

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I imagine you're looking for something in person, which I can't really help with. But if you wanted a virtual stop-gap while you locate something, there's the "iKali" program by Tuhon Apolo Ladra. I haven't participated in it myself, though I did train with Tuhon Apolo way back in the 80s, when we were both more involved in taekwondo. He's an excellent teacher. As is his brother, Tuhon Bobby.

I do have a long FMA background, though, so I can easily recognize that their kali program is strong.

OP
E

Emanuel77

White Belt
Reaction score
Here’s a site that popped up H O M E
Thank you so much for your suggestion! I truly appreciate your willingness to help. However, I'm specifically seeking regular, in-person Pekiti Tirsia Kali training under the guidance of a skilled and highly-ranked instructor recognized by Grand Tuhon himself. While the group you mentioned may have occasional visits from an instructor, I'm looking for ongoing physical training rather than virtual or video-based sessions.

If you happen to come across any such opportunities or know of any schools that offer consistent, hands-on Pekiti Tirsia Kali classes in Philadelphia, please don't hesitate to share. Your assistance is greatly valued in my search for authentic and dedicated training.

OP
E

Emanuel77

White Belt
Reaction score
I imagine you're looking for something in person, which I can't really help with. But if you wanted a virtual stop-gap while you locate something, there's the "iKali" program by Tuhon Apolo Ladra. I haven't participated in it myself, though I did train with Tuhon Apolo way back in the 80s, when we were both more involved in taekwondo. He's an excellent teacher. As is his brother, Tuhon Bobby.

I do have a long FMA background, though, so I can easily recognize that their kali program is strong.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and the information about the 'iKali' program by Tuhon Apolo Ladra. It's clear that he and his brother, Tuhon Bobby, have a strong reputation in the martial arts community.

While virtual training can be valuable in some ways, I'm personally seeking in-person training for Pekiti Tirsia Kali. There's something unique about the hands-on experience, immediate feedback, and physical interactions that make in-person training invaluable. I believe it's the most effective way to truly immerse oneself in the art.

Nonetheless, your insights are much appreciated, and I'm thankful for your willingness to help. If you come across any opportunities for in-person Pekiti Tirsia Kali training in the Philadelphia area, please feel free to share. Your assistance means a lot in my quest for authentic and effective training

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your suggestion! I truly appreciate your willingness to help. However, I'm specifically seeking regular, in-person Pekiti Tirsia Kali training under the guidance of a skilled and highly-ranked instructor recognized by Grand Tuhon himself. While the group you mentioned may have occasional visits from an instructor, I'm looking for ongoing physical training rather than virtual or video-based sessions.

If you happen to come across any such opportunities or know of any schools that offer consistent, hands-on Pekiti Tirsia Kali classes in Philadelphia, please don't hesitate to share. Your assistance is greatly valued in my search for authentic and dedicated training.
If you are looking for an officially recognized instructor specifically in pekiti tirsia kali, you're mostly out of luck unfortunately.

I did find this, but they don't mention an instructor and none of the major ptk orgs I'm aware of mention any instructors in pennsylvania (or NJ) at all, so I'm a tad suspect (lineage/recognition-wise. I looked through some drills, and they are definitely legitimate PTK drills): They do mention hosting Leo Gaje though, so it'd probably be worth checking them out. S E R V I C E S

If that doesn't work out, unless you are willing to make a trek to New York every once in a while for the training you might be out of luck. If you're not already a PTK student, and looking for in-person (and that school above doesn't work for some reason), I'd recommend finding what other kali and offshoots are available. Honestly, once you get into substyles, the training and school matter more than lineage. Make sure that they train footwork, resist in drills, and do sparring with safety equipment. Personally I'd also stay away from any that focus on just the drills and not how to actually apply them, but that's a bit tougher to tell as a newcomer.

OP
E

Emanuel77

White Belt
Reaction score
If you are looking for an officially recognized instructor specifically in pekiti tirsia kali, you're mostly out of luck unfortunately.

I did find this, but they don't mention an instructor and none of the major ptk orgs I'm aware of mention any instructors in pennsylvania (or NJ) at all, so I'm a tad suspect (lineage/recognition-wise. I looked through some drills, and they are definitely legitimate PTK drills): They do mention hosting Leo Gaje though, so it'd probably be worth checking them out. S E R V I C E S

If that doesn't work out, unless you are willing to make a trek to New York every once in a while for the training you might be out of luck. If you're not already a PTK student, and looking for in-person (and that school above doesn't work for some reason), I'd recommend finding what other kali and offshoots are available. Honestly, once you get into substyles, the training and school matter more than lineage. Make sure that they train footwork, resist in drills, and do sparring with safety equipment. Personally I'd also stay away from any that focus on just the drills and not how to actually apply them, but that's a bit tougher to tell as a newcomer.
Thank you for your insights, and I completely agree about the importance of an instructor who focuses on the fundamentals and practical application in Pekiti Tirsia Kali. It's a combat system at its core, and understanding footwork and basics is crucial.

I'm truly passionate about learning PTK, and I'm willing to explore all avenues to make it happen. In fact, I'll do my utmost to contact Grand Tuhon himself to see if there are any recognized groups or high-ranked instructors in Pennsylvania who can help fulfill my dream of learning Pekiti Tirsia Kali.

Your support and advice are greatly appreciated, and I'll definitely keep you updated on any progress or news in the future. Let's hope we can find a way to make this journey into Pekiti Tirsia Kali a reality. Thanks again!"

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did find this, but they don't mention an instructor and none of the major ptk orgs I'm aware of mention any instructors in pennsylvania (or NJ) at all, so I'm a tad suspect (lineage/recognition-wise.
Teaching the true and authentic Pekiti Tirsia Kali, as authorized by Tuhon Rommel Tortal

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a gym or martial arts school in Philadelphia that offers Pekiti Tirsia Kali classes and currently has active classes. Pekiti Tirsia Kali has always fascinated me, and I'm eager to start training in this martial art.

If you're aware of any places in Philadelphia where I can learn Pekiti Tirsia Kali from experienced instructors, please share your recommendations. I'm particularly interested in gyms or schools with classes happening right now.

Any information or insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Let's help each other find the best training opportunities in our city!

Live Blade PTK is great. I have known Ras Angola Tafari for 10(?) years or so, something like that. I really really appreciate his take on PTK and he has a really heart felt love of the system. If you are looking for lineages he is under Tuhon Mel Tortal and that is about as pure a lineage as you will find in PTK these days.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Live Blade PTK is great. I have known Ras Angola Tafari for 10(?) years or so, something like that. I really really appreciate his take on PTK and he has a really heart felt love of the system. If you are looking for lineages he is under Tuhon Mel Tortal and that is about as pure a lineage as you will find in PTK these days.
Thanks. Couldn't find his lineage listed on the website, so wasn't sure.

Pierre

White Belt
Reaction score
Merci beaucoup pour votre suggestion ! J'apprécie vraiment votre volonté d'aider. Cependant, je recherche spécifiquement une formation Pekiti Tirsia Kali régulière et en personne, sous la direction d'un instructeur qualifié et de haut rang reconnu par Grand Tuhon lui-même. Bien que le groupe que vous avez mentionné puisse recevoir la visite occasionnelle d'un instructeur, je recherche un entraînement physique continu plutôt que des séances virtuelles ou vidéo.

Si vous rencontrez de telles opportunités ou connaissez des écoles qui proposent des cours pratiques et cohérents de Pekiti Tirsia Kali à Philadelphie, n'hésitez pas à les partager. Votre aide est grandement appréciée dans ma recherche de formations authentiques
Je me souviens avoir vu deux séminaires Pekiti Tirsia Kali à Vineland, NJ et Philadelphie en avril ou mai sur Facebook. Ils étaient dirigés par un instructeur très expérimenté affilié au Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje. Bien que je n'aie pas ses coordonnées ni son nom pour le moment, j'ai été impressionné par les vidéos du séminaire et j'ai ensuite vérifié son profil. Il réside à Philadelphie. Si je retrouve sa vidéo, son affiche ou son profil, je ne manquerai pas de vous le faire savoir. Bonne chance dans votre recherche

OP
E

Emanuel77

White Belt
Reaction score
Je me souviens avoir vu deux séminaires Pekiti Tirsia Kali à Vineland, NJ et Philadelphie en avril ou mai sur Facebook. Ils étaient dirigés par un instructeur très expérimenté affilié au Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje. Bien que je n'aie pas ses coordonnées ni son nom pour le moment, j'ai été impressionné par les vidéos du séminaire et j'ai ensuite vérifié son profil. Il réside à Philadelphie. Si je retrouve sa vidéo, son affiche ou son profil, je ne manquerai pas de vous le faire savoir. Bonne chance dans votre recherche
Thank you for your reply. Could you please check your Facebook activity log to see if you liked the video? If so, you might be able to find out who the owner is and share that information with me.

EskrimaFan

White Belt
Reaction score
Can I ask you, why specifically PTK?

There are multiple very complete and combative Filippino systems. Maybe if you broaden your search, it will be easier for you.

OP
E

Emanuel77

White Belt
Reaction score
Can I ask you, why specifically PTK?

There are multiple very complete and combative Filippino systems. Maybe if you broaden your search, it will be easier for you.
I appreciate your input and the suggestion to explore other Filipino martial arts systems. While I'm open to exploring various martial arts, I have a particular interest in Pekiti Tirsia Kali for a few reasons. PTK has a rich history and is known for its effective techniques in edged weapon combat and self-defense, which align with my personal goals. Additionally, I've heard great things about the PTK community and experienced practitioners, and I'm eager to learn from them. However, I'm certainly open to learning about other Filipino martial arts systems as well. If you have any recommendations or insights about them, I'd be happy to hear more. Thanks for your advice!

OP
E

Emanuel77

White Belt
Reaction score

EskrimaFan

White Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate your input and the suggestion to explore other Filipino martial arts systems. While I'm open to exploring various martial arts, I have a particular interest in Pekiti Tirsia Kali for a few reasons. PTK has a rich history and is known for its effective techniques in edged weapon combat and self-defense, which align with my personal goals. Additionally, I've heard great things about the PTK community and experienced practitioners, and I'm eager to learn from them. However, I'm certainly open to learning about other Filipino martial arts systems as well. If you have any recommendations or insights about them, I'd be happy to hear more. Thanks for your advice!

There are alot of styles that focus on effective techniques. And when you practice or see several styles there are overlaps in techniques, there is just little differences in execution.

Latest Discussions