Is [your martial art] good for a "real fight"?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You realise you can do catastrophic damage with a leg lock?

Which is handy to know before you escalate from that position.
Do you realize how much damage that you can do on your opponent when you use your spikes ring to slide his leg/arm opening? Not just 1 opening but 2 opening at the same time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That, is actually my worst fear, to have my life changed by a leg lock.
Reconstructive surgery is really good these days. It would probably only be months of debilitating recovery rather than completely life altering.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reconstructive surgery is really good these days. It would probably only be months of debilitating recovery rather than completely life altering.
I'm pretty sure the surgery wouldn't ever put it back to full capacity, especially for those of us over 50. I have enough limps already - don't really need a new one.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably
Months
Debilitating

Yeah, there's a reason I tap almost immediately to leg/ankle locks.
A good friend of mine in BJJ once had a great analogy.

She said "playing BJJ even at low levels is as dangerous as pro ice skating, because at any given time it's like your flying and floating over ice, one second away from breaking your neck".

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A good friend of mine in BJJ once had a great analogy.

She said "playing BJJ even at low levels is as dangerous as pro ice skating, because at any given time it's like your flying and floating over ice, one second away from breaking your neck".
I'd adjust that from even at low levels, to "especially at low levels". Otherwise, I agree completely.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'd adjust that from even at low levels, to "especially at low levels". Otherwise, I agree completely.
Last weekend I was a referee at ADCC European & Middle East & African Championship in Warsaw (Poland). 90% of injuries have happened on the kids, juveniles and beginners mats.
Pros have less restrictive rules and fights still are safer.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know, I was kind of getting into the 40-0 street fight record.

Actually 39-1. Wasn't the end of my fighting, but it was the end of my Bar Fights. If you've had a bit too much to drink, fighting is a real bad idea.....just got my ear split a bit.

selfdefensestudent

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, if youre really good at BJJ, you will be dangerous, like you will with judo etc. Do judo 5 times a week for 20 years and you'll be a monster and ragdoll almost anyone.

but in my view, i think you want to compare volume of training to effectiveness, thats when it gets interesting. here i believe regular boxing, strength training (atleast until you've taken out the easy gains within a year or two) and krav maga ranks high.

im not willing to move into the gym to learn self defense. If youre like me, in our 40s and willing to spend 2-4 hours a week learning something for self defense, what should that something be?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, if youre really good at BJJ, you will be dangerous, like you will with judo etc. Do judo 5 times a week for 20 years and you'll be a monster and ragdoll almost anyone.

but in my view, i think you want to compare volume of training to effectiveness, thats when it gets interesting. here i believe regular boxing, strength training (atleast until you've taken out the easy gains within a year or two) and krav maga ranks high.

im not willing to move into the gym to learn self defense. If youre like me, in our 40s and willing to spend 2-4 hours a week learning something for self defense, what should that something be?
Screenshot_20231102_095953_Facebook.jpg

Latest Discussions