Is Wing Chun even viable.

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by ZockerSWAT, Feb 7, 2019.

1. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

The general theme is they can beat another guy in a fight.

And so attracting guys who have that as a priority.

2. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    That is part of the marketing, yes. If we look at some of what people pick up (possibly not consciously), the defenders are rarely shown having to work too hard. A quick flurry, not out of breath, and it's over. When the instructor demonstrates, he often does the cool stuff that he makes look easy (because it's fun to do that - I do some of it, too). Now, look at how many MMA gyms show the sweat. Maybe just the difference in terms encapsulates what I'm getting at: "school" or "academy", versus "gym". Which would you expect to make you sweat (from physical exertion - some of us sweat just thinking about school)?

And it's definitely not a black-and-white thing. There's some of each on each side, but it's a matter of the preponderance of things.

Now, I might be wrong about some (or even all) of this. But it's a considered point based on thinking about this a few years to try to figure why people go where they do.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    The hard-training zen disco crowd? A very strong niche, so I hear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    It could be part of what happens. But it really doesn't have to be. If you train soft and slow, you'll still develop some skills (I'd argue they're not reliable for fighting, but note I didn't say "fighting skills"), but you won't gain much in fitness.

I do agree that fitness doesn't guarantee a specific skill. But that wasn't the point I made. I said the schools could teach skills to pretty much anyone - again, not necessarily fight-applicable skills (I could teach classical NGA techniques without any real attempt to make them fight-applicable, for instance). And yes, it could become something like Tae Bo, or something like modern Wushu, which has a lot of skill, but much of it isn't really fight-applicable (and that latter is close to what I was trying to say - I probably should have used that example the first time).

5. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I do think that particular school is doing exactly what you said. And looking at their training, they train very differently from most Aikido schools, if we assume the video is a reasonable representation of what they do. They have a foundation for their Aikido principles to work on. Again, assuming that video is a fair representation, and not just a really good demo reel.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

This is what I was picking up as well but wasn't sure sense I've never seen an Aikido class in session. People usually put the most important thing about their school first. So in that video it would have been Tradition. Then after that a more modern feel game in. It had that "old with the new" new vibe in it.

Here's a comparison video from 9 years ago. Big difference. I asked myself which Aikido school would I go to. I'm definitely picking the one that had punching and the heavy bag. The first school just looks like they are working harder. This school just looks like the energy is missing. Again most people put the most important thing in the video first.

EDIT: If I had to guess there are many TMA schools that are now going through big changes in how "Old ways are presented"

• Like Like x 1
  7. DocWard

DocWard Purple Belt

I'm still looking for the hard-training zen metal niche.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I didn’t even make it through the whole video. It seems even they knew energy was missing: they sped it up in post-production.

As for where a video starts, I think it’s often what they think is most interesting (which may or may not be what’s most important to them). It’s telling to me that the video you posted is more than 1/2 warmup.

9. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    Let me know if you find it. I’d like to visit. Heavy bag work to Enter the Sandman works for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

i think you’re getting close to understanding. It is not true that you will develop some skill if you train soft and slow. You may. But we see a lot of evidence that you actually do not.

As en exercise, try to think of any other activity where a person signs up to learn how to do something, and gets taught something else. “Thank you for signing up for baking classes. Please line up and we will begin our breathing exercises. After which we will plug in the toasters,”

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I think you may be confusing "some skill" with "a particular skill". I can absolutely teach someone a skill slow. They may not be able to apply it faster (reducing the usability of it), but it's still a skill. That's what I was getting at: when a school says "we can teach anyone", that's probably true (excepting some outlandish outliers). They can deliver a skill to anyone, even if it's not a fighting skill.

We're back to the problem of defining what MA is, I think. I'd include modern Wushu in that definition, though it's arguable whether what they teach has any real applicability to fighting. Heck, if I was younger, I might even be interested in getting training in modern Wushu, because it looks like fun. But it'd be like taking gymnastics classes - not necessarily related to fighting skill.

12. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Stretching sucks. not much interesting about it, but it is important. Do Aikido guys have a tendency of not being flexible?

13. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    Probably. I've not seen a lot of stretching in most Aikido schools. Even in NGA, where it's probably more of an issue, they don't stretch anything like that much. I'm guessing that particular school saw their lengthy warm-up as a "pro" and a differentiator. I'm not sure from what, though.

14. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

I'm not confusing anything . I'm just making a different point than you think.

15. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    You seemed to be addressing my point, so I was addressing what seemed to be your contradiction to what I was saying. If you weren't, then I'll need to go back and re-read with that in mind.

16. Trapboxer

Trapboxer White Belt

Wing Chun is definitely a viable martial art and can be very effective but the problem is how most sifus train the art
    They don't do enough sparring some don't do any sparring.they do tons of chi Sao which is great but chi Sao is a whole lot different when someone is trying to punch you in the face. Chi Sao does have benefits it help develop sensitivity which gives you a whole lot of info when tie up where your weight is, structure, energy, etc
    But you need to be able to this while being pressure tested

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

17. Oily Dragon

Oily Dragon Blue Belt

There are generally two schools of thought.

One is that this video is some of the best Wing Chun sparring on the internet. The other is that this is patty cake garbage.

Choose wisely.

18. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

They both have established some good clinch. But none of them had taken advantage on their clinch.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trapboxer

Trapboxer White Belt

Sifu Mark Philips does a great job of controlling and countering

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

20. Holmejr

Holmejr White Belt