Sparring and fighting 2

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK i was sparring in class monday and just a brief background I study Shaolin Long Fist and wing chun and I am trying to adapt the Wing chun into my sparring. I have been in our club teh longest out of most people but still there are people who think they can give me advice, fair enough if my knowledge is lacking! But i guess i hate being told what i'm doing wrong by people who haven't been training as long as me. Ok so i was sparring this guy who has been training out art for 3.5 years and he has just started Thai boxing! He seems to love full on sparring. I remember he was teasing me a guy because he didn't want to enter competitions. But i ask you all isn't Martial arts more than just fighting otherwise whats the point? So i was using a Wing Chun guard while sparring with thim and he was just givign me some shots whcih didn't get through due to my wing chun training and he was telling me i should keep my hands closer to my face because he coudl put a lock on me. But also i have learnt economy of motion form Wing chun so by the end of our match he was sweating, puffing and panting and i hardly broke a sweat because i made him do all the work!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony said:
OK i was sparring in class monday and just a brief background I study Shaolin Long Fist and wing chun and I am trying to adapt the Wing chun into my sparring. I have been in our club teh longest out of most people but still there are people who think they can give me advice, fair enough if my knowledge is lacking! But i guess i hate being told what i'm doing wrong by people who haven't been training as long as me. Ok so i was sparring this guy who has been training out art for 3.5 years and he has just started Thai boxing! He seems to love full on sparring. I remember he was teasing me a guy because he didn't want to enter competitions. But i ask you all isn't Martial arts more than just fighting otherwise whats the point? So i was using a Wing Chun guard while sparring with thim and he was just givign me some shots whcih didn't get through due to my wing chun training and he was telling me i should keep my hands closer to my face because he coudl put a lock on me. But also i have learnt economy of motion form Wing chun so by the end of our match he was sweating, puffing and panting and i hardly broke a sweat because i made him do all the work!
Is this just a rant? Or is there a question in there?

I've gotta make two observations:

First, depending on the circumstances and timing, anyone may have valid advice for you. You've got the experience; listen to what they say. Maybe they've seen something that you've missed. Or, simply tell them something like "I'm working on something else right now..."

Second, if I read you right, it seems like you kinda made the point to him that just maybe you do know what you're doing... You wore him out, and you were landing shots when he wasn't, right?

My instructor once told us a story... There were two well known, highly skilled martial artists in a town. For years, people would urge them to fight so that they could see who was best, and they would desist. After all, they both were confident in their own right. Well, finally, one day, the younger master has had one too many person urge him to fight the other. (I suspect that the urging wasn't so friendly...and was more taunting.) He sees the older warrior, and as they get close, the younger fighter launches his best, fastest and most devastating strike. The older master simply slips around the strike, lays his arm around the other's shoulder, and comments "We don't really need to fight, do we?"

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony said:
I have been in our club teh longest out of most people but still there are people who think they can give me advice, fair enough if my knowledge is lacking! But i guess i hate being told what i'm doing wrong by people who haven't been training as long as me.

I learn something new from white belts and my 5 year old everyday despite having 5 black belts and 20+ years experience in martial arts. If you don't think your knowledge is lacking at all then what reason do you have left to keep training?

If you're so much more experienced than the person in your story then why are you so impressed with "beating" them? So what did you teach them after beating them since you have the experience advantage, or did you just gloat like you did on this board?

Help those "weaker" than yourself so that they can become strong, then strive to become stronger and repeat the process. This is the way of training.

"with great power comes great responsibility"
"power without perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value."

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
i'm not sure what the question is, however, he who controls the pace and momentum of the fight has the advantage.

i would like to hear more about your wing chun techniques

with respect,
painstain

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I have read, you were probably the better fighter, with more experience, and that you're no slouch when it comes to the martial arts.

However, we, as martial artists, must always take into account, that there's something to be learned from everyone, no matter what their rank and / or experience may be. Everyone has strengths of their own, that we can learn from, and in some cases, even an inexperienced set of eyes can be of great help to you (since as experienced folks, we might not see certain things).

There are many, many styles of martial arts out there, and there's always something to be learned from them.

Now, if the other guy tries to be bossy, and gets into a swaggering mood, simply disregard his attitude, and see what you can pick from his brain.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anouther fun thing to do is pac sao to there gaurd, and dar to there head. I do it against guys that use a pseudo boxing gaurd, I almost always score that way. Anouther fun one is the top poistion of dan chi sao. Jit to gaurd, and dar to there head. People don't know whats going on, and as long as you don't do it to often, they get punched in the head.
Same applies to an attack, of course. But it creaps people out more if you do it to there gaurd. And there is a small weakness to man sao wu sao that he might eventually figure out. If you left hand is in front, your left floating is rib is blind. Meaning you cann't see it well enough to defend against an attack there. To deal with that you can simply lower your front hand slightly. All the pros, only slight lag, and no blind spot.
Have fun!!!!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Now, if the other guy tries to be bossy, and gets into a swaggering mood, simply disregard his attitude, and see what you can pick from his brain.
Yeah, this is my approach too. If I can learn something from him, good. If I can teach him something, even better.
:duel:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tony said:

It seems to me, that perhaps, he could've been just trying to offer some friendly suggestions. Then again, he could have the attitude that he thinks he's the best around. Regardless, it seems that he was drifting away from the lesson being taught that day. If the focus on the class was SLF, then why was he trying to turn things into a Thai boxing session?

It may be best to a) avoid working with this person altogether, b) take him aside and mention to him that while you think its great he's trying to help, he's taking away from your learning time or c) mention this to your instructor.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tony said:

Hello, Most important....You know what works for you...Keep up your training...one day they are going to want to learn from you...untill then,,let the say what they want...it is only words..

Competition fighting has rules/resting.....real fights-NO rules and anything goes.....Either it's you or them...that gets the most hurts...People are creature of habits....form those you want to work for the streets......Aloha

Latest Discussions