Is Kenpo the Ultimate Martial Art......?

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Is Kenpo the Ultimate Martial Art? Why or Why not?

:asian:

#1 Yes, Kenpo IS the Ultimate Martial Art.

#2 Because I say so!!! LOL!!!

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No.

The ultimate martial art is the one you create yourself, based one your own strengths and weaknesses....

However...I wouldn't choose anything other than kenpo for a base for this art, but I firmly believe people should alter it and bring in moves and theories from other styles in order to create their own personal system.

"Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation.", Bruce Lee.

Ian.

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Why or Why not?

I think it is.....I started out in Shotokon at a young age and studied TKD while in the army, Everytime I talk to others about their art and they explain it to me it is not a new concept or principle that Kenpo does not have. Its even more awsome asking them why they did something and they come up with no answer that you already had being a kenpoist.

Nobody has laid out a system and documented the principles and concepts like Mr Parker did NOBODY...dont even throw the bruce lee card in there because JKD doesnt have s#!t on Kenpo. I have been in 3 arts, I am constantly talking to others about their arts and mine and to be honest I havent found anything better.

Maybe Im biased but I have yet to see a concept or principle in another art that is not covered in our system

F

fanged_seamus

I'm not sure there IS such a thing as an "ultimate" martial art....

It seems to me that no single (or even combination of arts) could be called the "ultimate." That's because the weakness of one art is the strength of another, IMO.

If I absolutely had to pick one art, and one art only, then it would be the art of "talking my way out of the situation" (sometimes called "Tongue Fu"), because that will ALWAYS be my first line of defense, with running away a close second.

That said, I think kenpo is one of the most versatile and adaptable arts around, and it is the one I choose to study.

Just my $0.02.

Tad Finnegan

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter

Maybe Im biased but I have yet to see a concept or principle in another art that is not covered in our system

But is it clear that more is better? Boxing fares very well with relatively few techniques and ideas, for example.

Put me down as a No to any question of the form "Is X the ultimate martial art?" as I just don't buy it.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

But is it clear that more is better? Boxing fares very well with relatively few techniques and ideas, for example.

Put me down as a No to any question of the form "Is X the ultimate martial art?" as I just don't buy it.

In addition who's been exposed to EVERY martial art? It might be the ultimate for you, but it's like Billy said, "Why? Because I said so...". Most people (not just Kenpo) are too closed minded to actually explore other arts to see what they do have to offer usually because that's the way their instructor was. So it's easy to say yeah we're the best...

jb:asian:

W

WilliamTLear

Man... I was joking! Just kidding... Sheesh!

No, I don't think Kenpo IS the ultimate Martial Art. There are other arts out there that are pretty damn cool if you ask me. It just happened that I was exposed to Kenpo, and it, along with it's thought process, has become an integral part of my life.

Take Care,
Billy

P.S. Dennis likes to ask the HARD questions. LOL!!!

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by jbkenpo

In addition who's been exposed to EVERY martial art? It might be the ultimate for you, but it's like Billy said, "Why? Because I said so...". Most people (not just Kenpo) are too closed minded to actually explore other arts to see what they do have to offer usually because that's the way their instructor was. So it's easy to say yeah we're the best...

jb:asian:

Jason,

You're the man! You read my mind!

Your Friend,
Billy

G

GouRonin

American Kenpo is a pretty darn good art. It's just got so many not so good people. The good ones are being outnumbered.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I think I have made my views known on this before. I don't think there is an Ultimate anything. Every art has something ot offer, some more than others. Some arts may be a superior art to less well thought out and designed systems. But the true superiority of an art, well that all depends on the practitioner.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear
Dennis likes to ask the HARD questions. LOL!!!

LOL, Well I don't think it is so hard...... hee hee...... but we have had a series of great posts and opinions.

As for me personally, my opinion is: ...... it IS the Ultimate Martial Art "FOR ME" - it allows me a very comprehensive base and yet the ability to explore any and all other systems, ideas, drills, views, movements, etc...... I can take and learn from ever system or person out there under the Broad Umbrella of Kenpo.

It's Logic is the Key for me ....... yet nothing is a limitation..... I'm still free to investigate and utilize anything from anywhere if I choose.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to think it was, then I started to learn Systema along with Kenpo. Now I can't get enough of not only kenpo but systema as well. For ME the two arts compliment each other very well.

American Kenpo is still my first passion though :)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, so like that is what I have on my web page, business cards, and the front of my building. Am I lying? No, but it is the "Ultimate Martial Art" for me. I also have been exposed to bunches - and like the synthesis of American Kenpo ... that plus my Sig Saur!!!!

-Michael
UKS-Texas

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by GouRonin

American Kenpo is a pretty darn good art. It's just got so many not so good people. The good ones are being outnumbered.

I'm hurt, that's twice you've said that about me.:wah:

K

Kenpo Wolf

I dont believe there is such as 'the ultimate martial art' but kenpo comes mighty damn close, in my opinion. The only other styles that comes close is
muay thai and boxing

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by RCastillo
I'm hurt, that's twice you've said that about me.:wah:

Well, I'm not gonna lie to you man...it's your breath.
:waah:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
This question is TOTAL opinion....

Of course kenpo people will favor the art they study....

Dennis seving up loaded questions......:rofl:

Latest Discussions