Is it socially acceptable to work out in a hospital? (srs)

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
Title
It's how I deal with stress
I'm talking about the waiting room, so calisthenics I don't have weights around me lol

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Title
I'm talking about the waiting room, so calisthenics I don't have weights around me lol

You'd be very lucky id you had any room to do it here, far too many people in the waiting room. You could scare people who didn't understand if you starting doing, to them, weird things.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. It's a hospital not a gym. People there visiting sick or dying relatives don't need to be watching someone pretending to be rocky balboa

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Title
you may find yourself going down the waiting list, as there likely to conclude theres not much wrong with you if you can knock off 200 push ups

but yes its socialy acceptable to train anywhere as long as your not bothering other people

you can do it with out making to much of a show of yourself, by using isometrics, try picking up the seat your sat on.

i have a bus workout that consits mainly of trying to bend varius bars or pull holding hoop of the cieling, apaert from my pained and slighty red face its more or less undetectable

and a waiting for a bus work out where i do pull ups off the shelter, thats a bit more obvious and causes people to look at you strangly

or you could just go outside every half hour and do as you wish

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. It's a hospital not a gym. People there visiting sick or dying relatives don't need to be watching someone pretending to be rocky balboa

Although if you are sat there in A&E for hours and hours because you are silly enough to go there for a minor injury it might break up the boredom but then again if you are bored perhaps you'll learn next time....don't go to A&E for a minor injury!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@jobo has the right idea. Pick some things you can do that are unintrusive to others. It's entirely legal to exercise in the waiting room, but would almost certainly make others uncomfortable, because it's odd behavior in that context. Me, I'd hop on the elevator, and if it's empty, I can do push-ups between floors. Since I'd want to stand up at every floor it stops at, I get one quick burpee in at each floor. I'll get a little exercise, and security probably gets a nice laugh out of it when monitoring the cameras.

OP
Parzival

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
k, why are you salty? Do you not think I'm doing the same thing?

you can do it with out making to much of a show of yourself, by using isometrics, try picking up the seat your sat on.
Thanks for the tip brah

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@jobo has the right idea. Pick some things you can do that are unintrusive to others. It's entirely legal to exercise in the waiting room, but would almost certainly make others uncomfortable, because it's odd behavior in that context. Me, I'd hop on the elevator, and if it's empty, I can do push-ups between floors. Since I'd want to stand up at every floor it stops at, I get one quick burpee in at each floor. I'll get a little exercise, and security probably gets a nice laugh out of it when monitoring the cameras.
youve clearly not been in a british emergency unit on a saterday night, doing push up is possibly the least odd thing going on

particularly as my local unit shares the same reception as those waiting for mental health assessments, you can always sit with them if you want to look less odd

OP
Parzival

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
youve clearly not been in a british emergency unit on a saterday night, doing push up is possibly the least odd thing going on

particularly as my local unit shares the same reception as those waiting for mental health assessments, you can always sit with them if you want to look less odd
The old disguise in plain sight technique, teachings of Hattori Hanzo

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It really depends on what you're doing. Doing pushups/situps/jumping jacks in the waiting room would probably make the security on alert, if for nothing else than that it's bizarre behavior. If you've got something to squeeze that increases your grip strength, for instance, no one would look twice at that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Answer to your question - NO. Hell NO.

It's really not socially acceptable to be an ash-whole anywhere.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well you can laugh but jobo is perfectly correct, A&E on a weekend night is a place that has the most diverse types of people you can ever come across, sane, insane and everything in between sitting there waiting.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're doing. If you sitting there not bothering anyone, we aren't going to care. If you start doing wind sprints across the lobby or pull ups in the door frame, you're going to be told to knock it off or leave.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on what you're doing. If you sitting there not bothering anyone, we aren't going to care. If you start doing wind sprints across the lobby or pull ups in the door frame, you're going to be told to knock it off or leave.
HAHAHA laughed out loud there.. just the image of doing sprints across the hospital lobby or halls XD

When my partner was in, in the semiprivate room I did some knee exercise stuff, and would go out on the outdoor bit and stretched up a storm! But ER room I don't know about full calisthenics.. maybe some light stretching hehe

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Title
Have you ever seen anybody else do it? That might be a clue if it is socially acceptable or not. Here's a clue, if you have to ask, it probably is not socially acceptable. You would know Indonesian culture better than any on this board.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen anybody else do it? That might be a clue if it is socially acceptable or not. Here's a clue, if you have to ask, it probably is not socially acceptable. You would know Indonesian culture better than any on this board.

Why would a Canadian know Indonesian culture better than you or I?

OP
Parzival

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
Alright this thread's over, we got a semi private room a while ago

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA laughed out loud there.. just the image of doing sprints across the hospital lobby or halls XD

When my partner was in, in the semiprivate room I did some knee exercise stuff, and would go out on the outdoor bit and stretched up a storm! But ER room I don't know about full calisthenics.. maybe some light stretching hehe
I'm thinking maybe a shuttle run in the hallway with borrowed bedpans as markers?

Latest Discussions