Yeah, so I got all new-age and stuff...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I'd start my own thread to properly let the cat out of the bag. I'm very unhappy with the direction my weight and fitness level took during the winter (weight up, fitness down) and I decided to do something about it. Besides cutting out some food and snacks, I have upped my dojo workouts from two nights a week (2.5 hours each) to three. I also have been looking around for something local and inexpensive that would not compete with my dojo schedule, but would offer me some more fitness challenges. I was really enjoying working out at Planet Fitness before my wife got here from NC and we moved; now it's too long to drive there. I like something that keeps me occupied; running, walking, and doing calisthenics on my own would be good if I could keep myself doing them, but I tend to lose interest and find reasons not to work out. So I like the regimentation of having a 'class' or something to attend.

Our local township offered a couple of courses I thought might be interesting. Some might be a bit beyond my abilities to keep up at the moment, so I was looking for something that offered a workout but not a killer routine (later, perhaps). I found this:

http://www.nianow.com/location/4125/61490/orion-township-parks-recreation

This is something called "NIA Movement' which supposedly combines a variety of non-impact arts into one for the purpose of balance, flexibility, and overall fitness. I've been to two classes out of a one-month regimen, and so far, so good. I am definitely finding it useful. It's not a killer workout; I sweat but don't pant and wheeze (although I could go harder and then maybe I would).

Yeah, it really has that music in it. And I'm the only guy in the class. And I can't dance. And it's very New Age kind of shoe-gazer stuff. Oh, 'pick the butterflies' and 'communicate with the earth' kind of stuff. So far, I'm just ignoring the foofy stuff and doing the movements. It's an hour and a half long, and I usually end up feeling like I could go another hour after it's over.

Anyway, I'm kind of laughing at myself, because I never in a million years thought I'd be doing anything like this...but I am.

So there you go. Latest on the health and fitness front from an old bald fat man.
Good for you, Bill. I definitely feel that diet is first and foremost in you're plan. I say this from first hand experience of dropping 25 pounds in 3 months myself. Even at my age, staying active was not the problem, it was the snacking after working out that was the killer. In the video I see a lot of continuous full body movement, and core muscle training that dojo's have, but, is fragmented within that setting. It may sound like a mummer but if you could fit in an early morning 1/2 hour metabolism bump, it will give you benefits long into the day.
It takes perseverance, which I feel you have plenty of, if you just get pissed off at yourself and do it.
Good luck, and please keep us posted with pictures. That little bit of accountability may help you also.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for you, Bill. I definitely feel that diet is first and foremost in you're plan. I say this from first hand experience of dropping 25 pounds in 3 months myself. Even at my age, staying active was not the problem, it was the snacking after working out that was the killer. In the video I see a lot of continuous full body movement, and core muscle training that dojo's have, but, is fragmented within that setting. It may sound like a mummer but if you could fit in an early morning 1/2 hour metabolism bump, it will give you benefits long into the day.
It takes perseverance, which I feel you have plenty of, if you just get pissed off at yourself and do it.
Good luck, and please keep us posted with pictures. That little bit of accountability may help you also.

FYI, I keep a training 'diary' of sorts on my FB page. I recap my dojo activities and now I've added my NIA workouts as well. No pictures; I'm busy doing so no time for taking photos; but I am keeping track of my weight loss there. So feel free to join me on FaceBook.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It could be worse you could be like this guy:

With the orange jumpsuit attire, I think that was a video on prison mating ritual dances.

Last edited by a moderator:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are a couple stretches we do at the end of class that I have taken back to my dojo; they're similar to what we do now, but the way they do them in the NIA Movement class seems to stretch my back out more and feels like it's really helping me with flexibility. Hey, I'll steal ideas from anyone!

The balance thing for me involves going up on one foot and holding it there as long as possible; this is something I really need. Also in the class there are some dance moves where you pretend to pick something up off the floor and then through some twisting, turning, dance type steps, release it up high, and you can feel all the kinks coming out as you do it. At least I can.

The class is like 1:20 long and by the time it's over, I'm amazed that so much time has passed; it feels like 10 minutes and I'm left wanting to keep going. So I guess that's good. Good luck finding the class, hope you find one!

Just to make this a more manly martial art discussion (said tongue in cheek). There are some internal arts that say circular movements will recharge your body's energy and not drain it, that is why there is alot of circular movements in Tai chi and BaGua or Aikido. The harder styles that use mainly linear striking will use of your energy faster since you are "starting and stopping" with the strikes instead of flowing with them.

Latest Discussions