Yeah, so I got all new-age and stuff...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I'd start my own thread to properly let the cat out of the bag. I'm very unhappy with the direction my weight and fitness level took during the winter (weight up, fitness down) and I decided to do something about it. Besides cutting out some food and snacks, I have upped my dojo workouts from two nights a week (2.5 hours each) to three. I also have been looking around for something local and inexpensive that would not compete with my dojo schedule, but would offer me some more fitness challenges. I was really enjoying working out at Planet Fitness before my wife got here from NC and we moved; now it's too long to drive there. I like something that keeps me occupied; running, walking, and doing calisthenics on my own would be good if I could keep myself doing them, but I tend to lose interest and find reasons not to work out. So I like the regimentation of having a 'class' or something to attend.

Our local township offered a couple of courses I thought might be interesting. Some might be a bit beyond my abilities to keep up at the moment, so I was looking for something that offered a workout but not a killer routine (later, perhaps). I found this:

http://www.nianow.com/location/4125/61490/orion-township-parks-recreation

This is something called "NIA Movement' which supposedly combines a variety of non-impact arts into one for the purpose of balance, flexibility, and overall fitness. I've been to two classes out of a one-month regimen, and so far, so good. I am definitely finding it useful. It's not a killer workout; I sweat but don't pant and wheeze (although I could go harder and then maybe I would).

Yeah, it really has that music in it. And I'm the only guy in the class. And I can't dance. And it's very New Age kind of shoe-gazer stuff. Oh, 'pick the butterflies' and 'communicate with the earth' kind of stuff. So far, I'm just ignoring the foofy stuff and doing the movements. It's an hour and a half long, and I usually end up feeling like I could go another hour after it's over.

Anyway, I'm kind of laughing at myself, because I never in a million years thought I'd be doing anything like this...but I am.

So there you go. Latest on the health and fitness front from an old bald fat man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not familiar with NIA but I definitely found that a structured class environment was better at getting me working out than an unstructured "whenever" environment. And hey, if you finish class feeling better than you did when you started...that's what really counts!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not familiar with NIA but I definitely found that a structured class environment was better at getting me working out than an unstructured "whenever" environment. And hey, if you finish class feeling better than you did when you started...that's what really counts!

I really need help with my balance; and I feel this will help. And the stretching has got to help with my flexibility, so I think it's going to be good overall. I was primarily hoping for something that would help me burn off the calories, and there's that also, but I was surprised about the balance thing and the stretching is like icing on the cake. So far, I'm pleased. I just have to keep ignoring that annoying "love your earth mother" preachy new age garbage. Seems to be built in - should not be surprised, this comes from California. But I think I can ignore the 'message' and just stick with the exercises...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What the hell?

Who are you and what have you done with Bill Mattocks???

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Seriously, though, my theory is that it's not what you do that matters. It's more that you're doing it. If it's exercise and it's enjoyable enough that you're doing it regularly, it will benefit you. Good on you.

Although I might have to change my opinion if you end up smelling like patchouli and talking about chakras and mercury in retrograde.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seriously, though, my theory is that it's not what you do that matters. It's more that you're doing it. If it's exercise and it's enjoyable enough that you're doing it regularly, it will benefit you. Good on you.

Although I might have to change my opinion if you end up smelling like patchouli and talking about chakras and mercury in retrograde.

Yes, please keep an eye on me. If I go all mushy, just kill me. For the love of God.

I will say, however, that the instructor shocked me the first day of class when she started talking about keeping our 'one point' and working from the hara. Hmmm, just like in our dojo. Surprise!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Bill

Started Yoga a while back and I still do a little now but the first time I walked into the class I felt like I was in the wrong place after 2 weeks it started to be rather nice…after 6 weeks I knew I was in the wrong place…but I was ok with that. I

t left me with an appreciation for yoga that I did not have before but I had this one overwhelming thought after 6 weeks; "Yoga and yoga people are very calm and peaceful and I am rather happy there is yoga and there are yoga people in the world…however I am not that peaceful and the whole damn thing is too peaceful for me".

But I’d be lying to you if I said I never want to do it again. Like I said, I still do and every now and then I start to get the feeling I should go back. Also if there was a school near me I guarantee I would have checked out Budokon

Props for giving it a try and stepping out of your comfort zone….pod person :D

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can only echo what the others have said, both about the benefits of doing something outside of your comfort zone and ... giving us our Bill back you body-snatching aliens! He's a frakkin' Marine, you can't do this to him! :lol:

I did yoga for a bit a long time back, like Xue and came to much the same conclusion i.e. there were benefits to be had but it was all just a bit too 'snake-oil-salesman spiritual' for me. Of course, Iai is spiritual too ... but it involves swords so it's way cool! :D

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see the pragmatic warrior training coming out! Not afraid to try something new. :)

Suggestion: have you considered taking the wife out dancing? I hear ballroom and swing can be very energetic. :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But that can lead to fornication, Harlan ... oh wait, that's not a downside :angel:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So Bill ....

Is it better than a poke in the eye? :lol:

Honestly, dude, whatever works for you ya gotta do IMNSHO. It's truly good for you to expand your horizons in such an unfamiliar and (for you) unorthodox manner. Good on you!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Bill Mattocks said:
I was primarily hoping for something that would help me burn off the calories, and there's that also, but I was surprised about the balance thing and the stretching is like icing on the cake. So far, I'm pleased. I just have to keep ignoring that annoying "love your earth mother" preachy new age garbage. Seems to be built in - should not be surprised, this comes from California. But I think I can ignore the 'message' and just stick with the exercises...

Bill, maybe you're already doing this, but I'd recommend a regular weightlifting and calisthenic routine. You've a Marine, so I don't have to tell you about doing daily calisthenics, but weights four days a week will do a lot for you as far as fat loss, though you may have to learn to pay less attention to the scale, and more to the tape measure.

NIAs okay-anything aerobic is really okay......I'd follow harlan's suggesstion about dancing with Ann-Marie, too-Rita and I dance fairly regularly:it's fun, a pretty good workout, and gets me major points with the spouse

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, maybe you're already doing this, but I'd recommend a regular weightlifting and calisthenic routine. You've a Marine, so I don't have to tell you about doing daily calisthenics, but weights four days a week will do a lot for you as far as fat loss, though you may have to learn to pay less attention to the scale, and more to the tape measure.

NIAs okay-anything aerobic is really okay......I'd follow harlan's suggesstion about dancing with Ann-Marie, too-Rita and I dance fairly regularly:it's fun, a pretty good workout, and gets me major points with the spouse

I'd like to get back in the gym, but it's too far away now. I may be able to pick up some used equipment cheaply at a thrift store or something. I like to lift, but I'm genetically gifted; I get big fast. Honestly looking to trim pounds off the waist before I make the chest and arms any bigger. We do 1/2 hour of calisthenics every night in the dojo before we start doing any karate.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
The movements remind me a lot of the old kung fu style I used to practice.
If there was a class nearby I'd be tempted to try it, but I probably would be too self conscious......you know, the whole "real men don't dance" thing........but it's good that you're doing it....just sayin

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I finally took the time to watch through to the end. I like it! I can see the benefits to training one's balance and coordination here. NEATO!! I'm going to look for it myself!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I finally took the time to watch through to the end. I like it! I can see the benefits to training one's balance and coordination here. NEATO!! I'm going to look for it myself!

There are a couple stretches we do at the end of class that I have taken back to my dojo; they're similar to what we do now, but the way they do them in the NIA Movement class seems to stretch my back out more and feels like it's really helping me with flexibility. Hey, I'll steal ideas from anyone!

The balance thing for me involves going up on one foot and holding it there as long as possible; this is something I really need. Also in the class there are some dance moves where you pretend to pick something up off the floor and then through some twisting, turning, dance type steps, release it up high, and you can feel all the kinks coming out as you do it. At least I can.

The class is like 1:20 long and by the time it's over, I'm amazed that so much time has passed; it feels like 10 minutes and I'm left wanting to keep going. So I guess that's good. Good luck finding the class, hope you find one!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been thinking about that video and I went back and watched it again.
If you keep that up Bill, you are going to reap tremendous benefits from it in your MA. Your movements will get more fluid, and your speed will increase, along with better flexibility, etc.
As I mentioned, I used to practice a different kung fu style than the one I practice now (wing tsun).
And while I am totally sold on WT as a martial art, there are times I miss the movement from my old style. Seeing the video has me thinking of dragging out some of the old forms from mothballs and practicing them again for the simple enjoyment of moving.

Latest Discussions