Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Usually us older guys can say "this reminds of..."
But this pandemic thing is different, it doesn't remind me of anything that I can remember.
And we can't know where it's going from here.

While we all spend more time stuck sheltering in place, at least we have a nice forum to talk chop and such.

Maybe it's a good idea to lighten up on all the bickering, insulting and anger fuelled personal attack bull sheet. And it really is bull sheet. Heck, we all train, it's not like we discuss how Martial Arts is better than baseball, parkour or online poker, we're all Martial Artists. That should count for something

Maybe we call all chill a bit and enjoy each other more. Just a thought.

Stay safe, everyone. I kind of like you guys and wish you and your families well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post up on my 'makes you laugh' thread!
The UK is in lockdown now, mostly due to the idiots who couldn't understand what social isolation meant and why they were asked to do it. We are allowed out of the house only to shop for food (only food shops open now), get medical treatment and essential workers are the only ones allowed to work. Two people max outside, police will have extra powers. Strict new curbs on life in UK announced by PM

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
well this reminds me of the plague of "24", thats 1924 for you youngins. it was quite a debacle Dr. Dickie got himself in. and he"s not a Bunbury mind you and there were many a persons young and old with febricula. you see many of the City officials were full of ultracrepidarianism's and they pulled back on the funding needed. there were already too many people in bedlam. well i might be a bit caducity now but i do seem to remember going down to the millinery and getting a new straw boater in the off chance there was news to be had.

Reactions: JP3

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Post up on my 'makes you laugh' thread!
The UK is in lockdown now, mostly due to the idiots who couldn't understand what social isolation meant and why they were asked to do it. We are allowed out of the house only to shop for food (only food shops open now), get medical treatment and essential workers are the only ones allowed to work. Two people max outside, police will have extra powers. Strict new curbs on life in UK announced by PM
its far from clear what we can and cant do, but its not only food shops that can open, there a longish list including bicycle shops that can open, so you can go out to shop for bicycles and then one assumes that you can go out on your new bike for a ride, as exercise is allowed, or you can drive to the Yorkshire moors to take a walk as is visiting people. in fact having look at his statement i can see no indication that going out and about will be illegal, as long as there are only to two, if not family members` and as many family members as you like @@@ yea there all mi bros officer''

though how anyone will know if five people walking dwn the road at the same time are together or not, im not sure and as the police have gone sick in record numbers im not sure who is likely to try and enforce it anyway

im predicting riots quite soon, in fact just as soon as the yuffs realise that the police have all gone off sick and then can do much as they please

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
its far from clear what we can and cant do, but its not only food shops that can open, there a longish list including bicycle shops that can open, so you can go out to shop for bicycles and then one assumes that you can go out on your new bike for a ride, as exercise is allowed, or you can drive to the Yorkshire moors to take a walk as is visiting people. in fact having look at his statement i can see no indication that going out and about will be illegal, as long as there are only to two, if not family members` and as menny family members as you like

though how anyone will know if five people walking dwn the road at the same time are together or not, im not sure and as the police have gone sick in record numbers im not sure who is likely to try and enforce it anyway

im predicting riots quit soon
I've been predicting riots in NY for a bit, with the restrictions, running out of stuff, and my cousins (NYPD) increased work schedule. They still haven't happened yet, surprisingly.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been predicting riots in NY for a bit, with the restrictions, running out of stuff, and my cousins (NYPD) increased work schedule. They still haven't happened yet, surprisingly.
riots generally need warm weather, no one wants to riot in freezing rain

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But this pandemic thing is different, it doesn't remind me of anything that I can remember.

While we all spend more time stuck sheltering in place, at least we have a nice forum to talk chop and such.

Maybe it's a good idea to lighten up on all the bickering, insulting and anger fuelled personal attack bull sheet. And it really is bull sheet. Heck, we all train, it's not like we discuss how Martial Arts is better than baseball, parkour or online poker, we're all Martial Artists. That should count for something

Maybe we call all chill a bit and enjoy each other more. Just a thought.

Stay safe, everyone. I kind of like you guys and wish you and your families well.

Why you I otta....PARKOUR INDEED!!!! :D

Actually traffic wise it is reminding me of 9/11....yup I'm an old guy....it is also reminding me of 9/11 by the feeling of helplessness I have...I had just left state security and started in IT and on 9/11, after the governor closed the state and sent us all home,I went to my old security office to see what I had to do (old habits die hard, especially when it has only been a few weeks) and they said nothing, go home, you're a civilian now. Pretty much the same feeling I have these days.

We are all martial artists, and I am once again going to show my age, and all you old MA dinosaurs will know it. Yeah we had our opinions of whose art did something better way back in the stone age, but we were all on the same side, all got along and any proof of what as better was handled on a mat. Mouth of too much and the whole boot to the head thing, a funny skit now, could be very real then....god I miss those days.

OK enough old guy reminiscing.

After finally getting his black belt a Karate guy s just itching to show how tough he is.... so he hops in his car and goes looking for a fight. Finally a guy in a truck cuts him off so he chases him down and when the truck pulls over the guy jumps out, takes his stance and yells "KARATE" guy jumps out of the truck and yells "MONKEY WRENCH"

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
just been watching a vid of a guy crunching the numbers for america, if nothing changes very drastically by tomorrow at the latest, then its 5 million dead by the end of April, which they could reduce to a few hundred thousand if they lock it down tight

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why you I otta....PARKOUR INDEED!!!! :D

Actually traffic wise it is reminding me of 9/11....yup I'm an old guy....it is also reminding me of 9/11 by the feeling of helplessness I have...I had just left state security and started in IT and on 9/11, after the governor closed the state and sent us all home,I went to my old security office to see what I had to do (old habits die hard, especially when it has only been a few weeks) and they said nothing, go home, you're a civilian now. Pretty much the same feeling I have these days.

We are all martial artists, and I am once again going to show my age, and all you old MA dinosaurs will know it. Yeah we had our opinions of whose art did something better way back in the stone age, but we were all on the same side, all got along and any proof of what as better was handled on a mat. Mouth of too much and the whole boot to the head thing, a funny skit now, could be very real then....god I miss those days.

OK enough old guy reminiscing.

After finally getting his black belt a Karate guy s just itching to show how tough he is.... so he hops in his car and goes looking for a fight. Finally a guy in a truck cuts him off so he chases him down and when the truck pulls over the guy jumps out, takes his stance and yells "KARATE" guy jumps out of the truck and yells "MONKEY WRENCH"
Yep, never bring a knife to a gun fight.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
just been watching a vid of a guy crunching the numbers for america, if nothing changes very drastically by tomorrow at the latest, then its 5 million dead by the end of April, which they could reduce to a few hundred thousand if they lock it down tight

Well it seems that there are two schools of thought emerging on that. One group, lead by epidemiologists and other health experts, favors a prolonged lock-down to "flatten the curve" and get us through with the least loss of life.

The other group, including some people more concerned about business and finance, feels that another 2 weeks of lockdown is the max that the economy can bear. Then we should scale back our restrictions and start rebuilding our economy. If we lose a few million, so be it, at least we will keep our economy intact and consequently there will be less suffering in the long run.

Right now our president has a foot in each camp ...which might explain why we are not doing much of anything effectively. Now I'm not about to get involved in politics. My point is simply that I'm not sure which approach will win out. Either way, it will be interesting for you to observe from afar. Unfortunately for us here in the States, it might get a little too interesting. :eek:

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
its far from clear what we can and cant do, but its not only food shops that can open, there a longish list including bicycle shops that can open, so you can go out to shop for bicycles and then one assumes that you can go out on your new bike for a ride, as exercise is allowed, or you can drive to the Yorkshire moors to take a walk as is visiting people. in fact having look at his statement i can see no indication that going out and about will be illegal, as long as there are only to two, if not family members` and as many family members as you like @@@ yea there all mi bros officer''

im predicting riots quite soon, in fact just as soon as the yuffs realise that the police have all gone off sick and then can do much as they please

Like back in the days of The Mods and The Rockers? I hope not.

I don’t think there will be riots here. But if there is I kind of feel sorry for the rioters. I don’t think they’re going to be handled/tolerated the way they usually are.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I don’t think there will be riots here. But if there is I kind of feel sorry for the rioters. I don’t think they’re going to be handled/tolerated the way they usually are.

With most things, if a bunch of people are really angry, protests and even riots are an option. It becomes less of an option when you really don't want to be around other people for fear of getting gravely ill. At least that's my perspective.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I was thinking about this the other day. I was trying to think of what I could compare this to. 9/11 came to mind. I don't think 9/11 holds a candle to this. 9/11 had around 3,000 deaths. It affected travel in and through the US ever since, and it had a strong impact on US foreign policy for that time as well. It started a couple of wars. If you include all of the deaths from those wars, it's probably worse than COVID-19 (so far).

Worldwide there's already been 16,000 deaths from COVID-19. Many countries are shutting down. As bad as 9/11 was, it didn't really have much of a direct impact on everyone's lives outside of New York and Washington. But this is reaching everywhere.

I honestly think you'd have to go back to WW2 to find something that's had an effect this profound on the US, or on the World. And I don't think there's many people on here old enough to remember WW2.

And don't get me wrong. 9/11 was a horrible tragedy and I'm not trying to dismiss it. I'm just saying that's the only thing I could think of to compare this crisis, and this crisis seems bigger.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point of the lockdown is to stop the hospitals being flooded to the point of collapse. Even the best systems will collapse under the weight of thousands needing respirators and beds. Only idiots would keep non food shops open, though these strictures would not have needed to be put in place if the idiots hadn't decided to go to the beaches, hills etc in great crowds. what they don't understand is it's not about them catching it. they miss they point massively and don't realise what they are doing, morons every one.

The medics need us to remain at home, watching television, reading books, playing with the kids etc, how hard is that? We aren't being asked to go on the front line, man the trenches and anything even vaguely onerous, just to stay at home, the medics, the police, the delivery drivers, the food manufacturers, the care workers are doing the heavy lifting for us, they're the ones putting their lives on the line so our health services don't collapse and more people die. Just bloody stay home.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I don't think there's many people on here old enough to remember WW2.

There are millions who remember in Europe, many who were children who remember the bombing, the starvation and the homelessness. There's even more millions who remember the aftermath, growing up orphans or without one parent, the rationing that went on through the 1950s, the poverty and the grimness.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

that rather depends if there are anyone left healthy to deal with the rioting, police officers are now an extremely high risk group, it seem a reasonably sure thing that they will contract the virus as a faster rate than the general population, who are in various ways self limiting exposure, ways that in the largest part are not available to law enforcement, of corse police officers with the virus are also a very efficient way of spreading it as well

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it seems that there are two schools of thought emerging on that. One group, lead by epidemiologists and other health experts, favors a prolonged lock-down to "flatten the curve" and get us through with the least loss of life.

The other group, including some people more concerned about business and finance, feels that another 2 weeks of lockdown is the max that the economy can bear. Then we should scale back our restrictions and start rebuilding our economy. If we lose a few million, so be it, at least we will keep our economy intact and consequently there will be less suffering in the long run.

Right now our president has a foot in each camp ...which might explain why we are not doing much of anything effectively. Now I'm not about to get involved in politics. My point is simply that I'm not sure which approach will win out. Either way, it will be interesting for you to observe from afar. Unfortunately for us here in the States, it might get a little too interesting. :eek:

the problem with people doing mathematical progressions is thay are ignoring, social/economic and cultural factors that will increase or decrease the spread in various demographics, in its simplest form those that live in over crowded accommodation and have to use public transport are massively more at risk than those who can close their gated communities and travel by car or just afford to stay home and with no hint pf politics,.those groups that have access to high quality health care will have a lower death toll

and as i said in another posts, the police and a likely vector for spreading the virus so those communities that have a higher instance of contact with the police are likely to progress faster than other groups

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that rather depends if there are anyone left healthy to deal with the rioting, police officers are now an extremely high risk group, it seem a reasonably sure thing that they will contract the virus as a faster rate than the general population, who are in various ways self limiting exposure, ways that in the largest part are not available to law enforcement, of corse police officers with the virus are also a very efficient way of spreading it as well

I doubt there will be rioting, Disney plus has just launched and have you seen how many films are on there? :D

British military are riot trained, police aren't needed. Any moronic imbecile who thinks rioting would be fun will soon be persuaded that it's not a good idea after having 'words' with either a Gurkha or a Fijian never mind the other squaddies who have their own families to worry about and so will have no time for the stupid elements of our society. then there's the Navy Masters at Arms, nasty buggers them, and the Bootnecks, I can think of thousands of reason why people shouldn't riot and if they do, ( though mostly likely won't after all we're not French!) well it will be short lived but fun to watch for the rest of us. :D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I doubt there will be rioting, Disney plus has just launched and have you seen how many films are on there? :D

British military are riot trained, police aren't needed. Any moronic imbecile who thinks rioting would be fun will soon be persuaded that it's not a good idea after having 'words' with either a Gurkha or a Fijian never mind the other squaddies who have their own families to worry about and so will have no time for the stupid elements of our society. then there's the Navy Masters at Arms, nasty buggers them, and the Bootnecks, I can think of thousands of reason why people shouldn't riot and if they do, ( though mostly likely won't after all we're not French!) well it will be short lived but fun to watch for the rest of us. :D
the military are far more at risk than any other group i can think of apart from the prison populations, so they are likely to be ill in fairly large numbers as well, putting troops on the streets to deal with disorder would be a huge step and has a rather bad history of not only not being effective but making matters much much worse

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the military are far more at risk than any other group i can think of apart from the prison populations, so they are likely to be ill in fairly large numbers as well, putting troops on the streets to deal with disorder would be a huge step and has a rather bad history of not only not being effective but making matters much much worse

Why would you think they are more at risk? They are all fit and healthy, they have their respirators to put on when out, ( Covid19 isn't nearly as bad as nerve agents). It's unlikely they will be used because the Brits aren't going to bother rioting, why would they, they are being paid to stay at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions