Not open for further replies.
OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fair enough. I think what i posted is pretty obvious and straightforward. I also think my definition of privilege and your dad's is the exactly the same.

Oh sheet, do I have to go to my room now? If only I had a dog. Damn.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maimonides defines eight levels in giving charity (tzedakah), each one higher than the preceding one.

On an ascending level, they are as follows:

8. When donations are given grudgingly.

7. When one gives less than he should, but does so cheerfully.

6. When one gives directly to the poor upon being asked.

5. When one gives directly to the poor without being asked.

4. Donations when the recipient is aware of the donor's identity, but the donor still doesn't know the specific identity of the recipient.

3. Donations when the donor is aware to whom the charity is being given, but the recipient is unaware of the source.

2. Giving assistance in such a way that the giver and recipient are unknown to each other.

1. The highest form of charity is to help sustain a person before they become impoverished by offering a substantial gift in a dignified manner, or by extending a suitable loan, or by helping them find employment or establish themselves in business so as to make it unnecessary for them to become dependent on others.

Tithing is a very easy way to give charity without any effort, and giving money is not what is always needed. giving someone one's time can often be more valuable. Tithing isn't giving back, it's more about being smug and letting someone else do the actual charitable work for you. If you have money it's easy to give some away. Do you give your charitable money to anyone who is not connetced with your church such as someone of another religion or faith? is your charity only given to those you want to join your faith?

Damn, talk about being smug and looking down your nose at someone. Tithing is following a basic biblical directive. I have never thought about 'why' I do it; I just know in my heart that I am supposed to. No one in my circle is keeping score of how much each other tithes. We rotate what charitable organization we give to almost every year. I have enough faith in the leadership of the charities we give to that I am not worried about how the money is distributed. If they fail, that is on them. Who can worry about everything? All charitable organizations have strict guidelines in place.

We do not get tax breaks for charitable donations anymore. It never changed our giving practices.

Frankly I don't give two shits who/what Maimonides and it is hugely condescending to make such a judgemental list. Giving is and should always be a personal decision. There is no vanity in what we do. Normally it would have never been brought up. But some people on here are anything but normal.

Is this how all the people in GB think about donations/charity? A very, very sad reflection on your people.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm doing just fine. Lots going on, but family's good.

To the post....

When I use the word "privilege," I mean it in terms of an advantage not enjoyed by others, gifted to you by virtue of your birth and upbringing, and not by anything you did. It can be anything, big or small.

For example:
Working hard and saving 20% of your income since you were 14? Not privilege.
Having a parent who didn't rely on your income at 14 to put food on the table? Privilege.

Taking sound financial advice on managing debt, using credit wisely, and avoiding common debt traps and pitfalls? Not privilege.
Having a parent who was well educated, smart, and fiscally responsible around to teach you these things? Privilege.

Using your solid credit history to purchase property? Not privilege.
Having someone around with good enough credit to co-sign for your $200k loan? Privilege.

And again, don't get me wrong. Privilege is not inherently bad. Failing to acknowledge it, however, can lead to judging other people by an unfair and unrealistic standard. Said in a more positive way, I think if you are aware of the privileges you have benefited from, you will be more empathetic and understanding of those who have not had those same privileges.

Regarding the rest, I would hope that it's understood when I speak, I'm speaking for myself. Right? The comment about issue, I see it as an issue. If you disagree, that's what a discussion board is all about. And I do still see that lack of self awareness as the real issue.

When I turned 18 I borrowed $200,000, without a co-signer,
No co-signer was needed.
Some of you guys need to lighten up and look over the bushes more often. There is a great big life going on around you.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You did. That's BLACKBURN Steve.

'Lancashire County' makes me wince. A county in the UK is not the same as a county in the US.

When talking about Lancashire though, Steve, were you looking up the administrative county or the ceremonial county? There's cities in Lancashire that are included historically but have their own metropolitan area.

I think you need to broaden your mind and do some research into people's pay and just what jobs they do that enable you to live the comfortable life you lead.
At our peak we employed over 100 people from high tech engineers to clerical and cleaning people. We Always paid more than minimum wage and standard scale. We worked kids on their internships and had homeless people who frequently used the open, covered end of our building.
My first wife's father was a lifetime drunk who spent most of his life on the streets of Nashville until it finally took his life. I cannot count the hours we spent trying to keep up with him.
I have zero clue what is driving your judemental mindset but you are Way off base in you opinion of me, my earnings, and my giving. Damn, just damn.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Talking about your posts regarding income and how everyone should have saved 20% of their income from the time they were 14, etc. Just because you seem to lack awareness of your privileged upbringing, and the many advantages that have compounded for you over the course of your life time, doesn't mean you aren't aware of anything. That's why they're referred to as blind spots.

And to reiterate, I think the lessons you learned are great, and I applaud you for putting them into practice. It's really worked out for you. But to suggest that you did this without significant advantages that many (most) people lack suggests lack of awareness.
Who ever said Everyone should save 20%? I said I did. Nothing more. I guess it hit too close to home for you.
Where you read privilege into what I wrote is on you because it did not exist. My parents had a failed business and SBA loan that almost took everything we had.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Frankly I don't give two shits who/what Maimonides...

You don't have to be Greek to appreciate the wisdom of Plato and Socrates, or Roman to have read the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, or Chinese to have read Lao Tzu. I'm not Jewish, but I learned a bit about some great Jewish thinkers like Hillel in the Talmudic period, and much later, in the Middle Ages, Maimonedes.

Don't let your personal animosities lead you to make such rash statements. The dude was a very wise man. ;)

Maimonides - Wikipedia

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have two dogs... you can't have either of them. :D

We rent out here. All rentals have a very strict "no pets" policy. But our landlord loves us and is allowing us to get a dog. I haven't been this excited about anything in a long while!

But this corona thing has complicated the plans in varying ways. God damn, I can't wait to get a dog.

Please give yours a couple rubs behind the ears for me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We rent out here. All rentals have a very strict "no pets" policy. But our landlord loves us and is allowing us to get a dog. I haven't been this excited about anything in a long while!

But this corona thing has complicated the plans in varying ways. God damn, I can't wait to get a dog.

I have one who's willing to accept token belly rubs in your honor.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't have to be Greek to appreciate the wisdom of Plato and Socrates, or Roman to have read the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, or Chinese to have read Lao Tzu. I'm not Jewish, but I learned a bit about some great Jewish thinkers like Hillel in the Talmudic period, and much later, in the Middle Ages, Maimonedes.

Don't let your personal animosities lead you to make such rash statements. The dude was a very wise man. ;)

Maimonides - Wikipedia
I do not doubt that at all. Those are some of the grea5 minds in History. I am a technical guy, hardly philosophical at all, hence the reaction to being compared to a meaningless (to me) list.
Say what you want; it was a dick move.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Sadie says hi.
IMG_20200313_082326_753.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

(Photos please when it happens!!)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tithing is following a basic biblical directive. I have never thought about 'why' I do it; I just know in my heart that I am supposed to.
Frankly I don't give two shits who/what Maimonides and it is hugely condescending to make such a judgemental list.

Actually you need to remember that Joshua bar Joseph ('Jesus') was Jewish, everything he said and did was Jewish, that the writings you call the 'Old Testament' are Jewish writings, that you take your religion from Judaism. Your '10' ( actually there were more than just 10) commandments were given to the Jews, as was the Law. The very foundation and basis of your Xtian faith is Jewish. You called Judaism a sect, you forget your Jesus was Jewish and a member of that 'sect', when you insult us you insult him.

Say what you want; it was a dick move.

No, it was reminding you what you call the Bible is telling you. You attack without actually thinking, that is a 'dick move'.

Is this how all the people in GB think about donations/charity? A very, very sad reflection on your people.

Why do you always have to bring up the UK and insult the people? ( GB is a geographical distinction) you must really hate Brits.

The only condescending person here is you when you look down on those who are not paid enough to be able to save. What is becoming really clear in these days of crisis is just exactly who keeps a country running and it's not the wealthy. It's all those people in low paid jobs that you look down on, it's all those workers who are still working when the rest of us are in 'lockdown'. the people with the least amount of money are actually the best as being economical, making their money go further and being thrifty yet you despise what you call their 'weal excuses' for not being able to save. Patting yourself on the back because you 'tithe' is not enough, especially if you do it without thinking, does it just go to your church or do you know who is benefits, you didn't answer my questions in that respect. Do you fund clean water in countries that need it, do you sponsor girl's educations so they don't have to be married as children, do you help refugees by listening to them, helping them find accommodation or playing with their children while they attend medical appointments they need after being tortured in their own countries, do you raise money for hospices, do you campaign against FGM, do you help those with dementia with memory sessions, do you help disabled children with sport...………. there is so much more to being 'charitable' than just giving money every month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions