If I keep repeating myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, I know - I was only messing around.

Although, there is a kind of masochistic satisfaction about having that "Why dont I do that again....crap, that's why....maybe if I, nope, still doesnt work" moment when you put the gloves on and trying something new out. I don't know about you but if I think something might not work then I just have to go out and try it for myself, just to make sure! Different strategies work for different fighters.

Maybe all this talk of therapy isn't such a bad idea ;)

I have let go of my past, it matters little, the only therapy I need is the bag! Thanks for asking :) Other than that, "I don't understand "still doesnt work"

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have let go of my past, it matters little, the only therapy I need is the bag! Thanks for asking :) Other than that, "I don't understand "still doesnt work"
Ah, but we learn from the past - to let go entirely is to forget our lessons...no?

Maybe it is just me that has that inner monologue when trying new things out in training - be it sparring with the gear on or more traditional, freestyle type drills. Sometimes its just the execution of the technique that lets you down, so I usually try it again to establish if its really not that suitable for the context. Sometimes it works, mostly I just get punched again :D

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As I said before, everyone needs therapy! Just ask a therapist! :D :wacky: :bawling: :confused: :nailbiting:
And who more likely to need therapy than the martial artists; who spend portions of every day hitting each other, inanimate objects and occassionally themselves! ;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, but we learn from the past - to let go entirely is to forget our lessons...no?

Maybe it is just me that has that inner monologue when trying new things out in training - be it sparring with the gear on or more traditional, freestyle type drills. Sometimes its just the execution of the technique that lets you down, so I usually try it again to establish if its really not that suitable for the context. Sometimes it works, mostly I just get punched again :D

Yeah, but at least the next one is telegraphed of sorts. Probably what gets you punched. Maybe try and find that angle.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but at least the next one is telegraphed of sorts. Probably what gets you punched. Maybe try and find that angle.
Oh, I'll not try it again right away - that was kinda the point of my initial comment!

But no, I've found with frequently having a reach disadvantage, some techniques just dont fit well in some scenarios! There isnt a golden rule though, hence why we have to keep on experimenting!

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Within reason, there is truth to this statement. However, after the 14,298,476th time, there's probably no point.

There is if it takes 14,298,476 times to make a point. If you saw the movie Groundhog Day you will know that the day finally does move on when Phil does the right thing. Same thing with me, I might rehash something 14,298.476 times but if and when I finally do make my point, I move on.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is if it takes 14,298,476 times to make a point. If you saw the movie Groundhog Day you will know that the day finally does move on when Phil does the right thing. Same thing with me, I might rehash something 14,298.476 times but if and when I finally do make my point, I move on.

You know what's really sad, here? I really don't think you understand how foolish you make yourself look in your posts.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know what's really sad, here? I really don't think you understand how foolish you make yourself look in your posts.
I don't care, if that's what it takes for me to make a point, I will take the risk of looking foolish.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

in edge of tomorrow that becomes a super power.

just sayin.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PhotonGuy is a victim of dog pile. You would think after all this time the members that don't like what he has to say would just ignore his threads and comments. But that's not the case. There seems to be a real interest in letting this guy know that he needs therapy and is not worthy of posting on this "friendly" site. It's called dog piling. So, my advice is, just ignore him.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'll not try it again right away - that was kinda the point of my initial comment!

But no, I've found with frequently having a reach disadvantage, some techniques just dont fit well in some scenarios! There isnt a golden rule though, hence why we have to keep on experimenting!

Yeah good point on that. Experimentation is a key issue.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PhotonGuy is a victim of dog pile. You would think after all this time the members that don't like what he has to say would just ignore his threads and comments. But that's not the case. There seems to be a real interest in letting this guy know that he needs therapy and is not worthy of posting on this "friendly" site. It's called dog piling. So, my advice is, just ignore him.

Hardly a victim really, I'd say he actually relished the attention. Besides, what is a 'dog pile'?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I should start reporting posts from people who say I need therapy or help, as I do find them offensive.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not quite sure if I should be facinated or horrified at the growing number of people who consider posting on internet forums to be some form of self medicating. :hilarious:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I should start reporting posts from people who say I need therapy or help, as I do find them offensive.

I'd bear in mind that the American attitude to therapy is a lot different from other places in the world. I believe the saying there is that everyone needs therapy those that say they don't are just in denial. I've got friends in the military here who are psychiatric nurses, they've worked with their American counterparts and have been shocked by the amount of 'therapy' and in a lot of cases meds handed out.
However 'self proscribing' being on here as 'therapy' probably is not the best idea. Also you cannot actually report people for saying you need therapy when you yourself have said you are having it and that you come on here for 'therapy'.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd bear in mind that the American attitude to therapy is a lot different from other places in the world. I believe the saying there is that everyone needs therapy those that say they don't are just in denial. I've got friends in the military here who are psychiatric nurses, they've worked with their American counterparts and have been shocked by the amount of 'therapy' and in a lot of cases meds handed out.
However 'self proscribing' being on here as 'therapy' probably is not the best idea. Also you cannot actually report people for saying you need therapy when you yourself have said you are having it and that you come on here for 'therapy'.

Apparently this! Although as soon as drop bear said it, I thought something else.

A group of people jumping on on person and creating a tower of people while crushing the people on bottom.
If some one falls over everyone nearby jumps on him/her thus creating a dog pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions