Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
really?

i mean if you don't like his threads do we need a discussion on how silly they are?

is anybody actually in a position to make a qualified call on whether someone needs therapy or not?

be a big call to make.

I second that. It would take a genius, if it would even be possible, to determine if a person needs therapy based on just the posts they make on some message board.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I second that. It would take a genius, if it would even be possible, to determine if a person needs therapy based on just the posts they make on some message board.

look if you were cutting yourself or posting some sort of self destructive rant. I could see where people might.

i haven't seen you post that.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not really. I imagine most members probably think I'm a lunatic, probably not wrong either. If I set myself through my own ignorance of a subject matter, I step back and use more Google - Fu. Hey, I could be a genius level typer, so therefore I could write anything that looked a bit unhinged, but I would come back and take on board the replies back. Yep sheer lunacy :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a lot easier than perhaps people imagine to tell whether someone needs 'therapy' or not by what they write. There are patterns of writing, the way their thoughts run and what they post can lead people who are familiar with certain behaviours to thinking that someone needs some help. It's a lot more scientific than you would think. It's used in intelligence work as well.

D

Deleted member 32980

Same here. Terrible memory loss. That's why I over lap.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. I imagine most members probably think I'm a lunatic, probably not wrong either. If I set myself through my own ignorance of a subject matter, I step back and use more Google - Fu. Hey, I could be a genius level typer, so therefore I could write anything that looked a bit unhinged, but I would come back and take on board the replies back. Yep sheer lunacy :D
I, for one, don't think you're crazy. I do think several posts and the recurring themes suggest that you might benefit from an objective and qualified war to help you find perspective.

As to repeating a point until you believe it's made or understood... Perhaps a different approach is in order. If you have tried a time or two, and people still aren't getting it... Maybe you're not sending the message you think you are. Or maybe what you think is just not so. A person can Arthur all they want that bjj is a striking based art. They can say it's an art about punching out built around slamming your first into an opponent... But that don't make it so, y'know...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's a lot easier than perhaps people imagine to tell whether someone needs 'therapy' or not by what they write. There are patterns of writing, the way their thoughts run and what they post can lead people who are familiar with certain behaviours to thinking that someone needs some help. It's a lot more scientific than you would think. It's used in intelligence work as well.
Who doesn't need therapy? :)

Edit to add: I have several friends who are licensed therapists and they would all agree, I'm 100% sure, that EVERYONE would benefit from therapy.

However, anything beyond that is conjecture and opinion. I have worked with people who are disabled for almost 20 years. Trying to get meaningful information from people who run the gamut from bipolar to paranoid schizophrenia to traumatic brain injury.

I would assert that, in spite of being with and around people who are mentally or cognitively disabled for most of my adult life, I am unqualified to say that someone 'needs' therapy. And I'm also quite confident that my assessment of who needs therapy around this place would be VERY different than yours, Tez, or anyone else's. Why? Because we all think we know more than we do, as we apply the snapshot of what we THINK we see here to what we've experienced in the past.

I would say that being in contact with mentally ill people for so long has made me exceedingly cautious of presuming a diagnosis based upon a snapshot. The brain, and how it affects/controls human behavior is just TOO complicated.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, for one, don't think you're crazy. I do think several posts and the recurring themes suggest that you might benefit from an objective and qualified war to help you find perspective.

As to repeating a point until you believe it's made or understood... Perhaps a different approach is in order. If you have tried a time or two, and people still aren't getting it... Maybe you're not sending the message you think you are. Or maybe what you think is just not so. A person can Arthur all they want that bjj is a striking based art. They can say it's an art about punching out built around slamming your first into an opponent... But that don't make it so, y'know...

Yeah that makes some sense to me .

This I do not understand?

jks9199 said:
that you might benefit from an objective and qualified war to help you find perspective

Not sure what you mean by this? Sorry but you have thrown me a bit there? You are right that I almost certainly need a new approach. That is the problem, it never stops. That is why I have tried so many arts, nothing ever seems tangibly fit. As for the message, I am what I am and perhaps sometimes I do manage to make the point. I accept that a lot of the time I am open to ridicule, but that is natures direction for me. I really don't mind, and I am more than happy to be part of this community. Please remember though that neurologically I am a little different :) Thanks for you're kindness though.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who doesn't need therapy? :)

Edit to add: I have several friends who are licensed therapists and they would all agree, I'm 100% sure, that EVERYONE would benefit from therapy.

However, anything beyond that is conjecture and opinion. I have worked with people who are disabled for almost 20 years. Trying to get meaningful information from people who run the gamut from bipolar to paranoid schizophrenia to traumatic brain injury.

I would assert that, in spite of being with and around people who are mentally or cognitively disabled for most of my adult life, I am unqualified to say that someone 'needs' therapy. And I'm also quite confident that my assessment of who needs therapy around this place would be VERY different than yours, Tez, or anyone else's. Why? Because we all think we know more than we do, as we apply the snapshot of what we THINK we see here to what we've experienced in the past.

I would say that being in contact with mentally ill people for so long has made me exceedingly cautious of presuming a diagnosis based upon a snapshot. The brain, and how it affects/controls human behavior is just TOO complicated.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah right therapy. I am not slighting you here. Yeah you are indeed correct. Too complicated ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think you are a lunatic, for goodness sake you are English that would make you eccentric not a lunatic.!

I know some real nutcases, a couple in particular that I won't name, one's a well known criminal and the other a well known UK MMA fighter, both are called 'hard' but the truth is they are sociopaths, they really don't care who they hurt and whether they get hurt themselves. Most of the SAS are high functioning psychopaths as is my instructor. At worse you could be eccentric, marching to the beat of your own drum and that is a very good thing to do btw.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that makes some sense to me .

This I do not understand?

Not sure what you mean by this? Sorry but you have thrown me a bit there? You are right that I almost certainly need a new approach. That is the problem, it never stops. That is why I have tried so many arts, nothing ever seems tangibly fit. As for the message, I am what I am and perhaps sometimes I do manage to make the point. I accept that a lot of the time I am open to ridicule, but that is natures direction for me. I really don't mind, and I am more than happy to be part of this community. Please remember though that neurologically I am a little different :) Thanks for you're kindness though.
Sorry, part of that was aimed more at the OP. I got posters crossed in my phone. Even so -- all I meant is that even without some sort of diagnosis that I am in no way qualified to make, sometimes it held to have an outside perspective. I'd you needed legal advice, you'd ask a lawyer, right? If you want emotional/psychological advice, it only make sense to go to the appropriate professional.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, part of that was aimed more at the OP. I got posters crossed in my phone. Even so -- all I meant is that even without some sort of diagnosis that I am in no way qualified to make, sometimes it held to have an outside perspective. I'd you needed legal advice, you'd ask a lawyer, right? If you want emotional/psychological advice, it only make sense to go to the appropriate professional.

Hey been there since I was seven, but thanks :)

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I repeat myself I'll remember the things that I'd learned the last time but had since forgotten; like why I keep getting punched in the face.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
really?

i mean if you don't like his threads do we need a discussion on how silly they are?

Yes. If he didn't want the responses, he wouldn't post. If all he wants is sycophantic "yes" replies, then he should post elsewhere.

is anybody actually in a position to make a qualified call on whether someone needs therapy or not?

be a big call to make.

He's told us he's in therapy. We're agreeing that he needs it. He's told us that he considers posting here therapy.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Then do not repeat, add something to the cycle.

I know, I know - I was only messing around.

Although, there is a kind of masochistic satisfaction about having that "Why dont I do that again....crap, that's why....maybe if I, nope, still doesnt work" moment when you put the gloves on and trying something new out. I don't know about you but if I think something might not work then I just have to go out and try it for myself, just to make sure! Different strategies work for different fighters.

Maybe all this talk of therapy isn't such a bad idea ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions