Ski-ing, the truely best sport in existence

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, those that have recently gone through being under piles of snow might not be quite in the mood, but who out there is getting "psyched to the maximus" (whatever that means) about the impending ski season?

More importantly, can anyone let me know their recommended go-to ski jacket for mainly on-piste but a bit of back-country action? Annoyingly, I have been cutting back in size so now my jackets are like bloody tents on me so need to buy something for this season.

I want a jacket with a good shell and that offers decent insulation and also thermo properties also and with some decent movement/elasticity.

I used to have money and vanity so have a lovely set of black kjus ski pants but now am broke (kids, mortgage) so am looking at a mid-expense kind of rig for the jacket.

And where are you planning to ski this year?

Much obliged.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Zero, like you I am really ready to get skiing this year. Cannot wait to get out on the hills.

I usually layer and wear spyder products. I actually have a fairly light coat but it is great at keeping me warm.

OP
Zero

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it's what makes Winter.

Thanks Brian, much obliged! I have been looking at Spyder but never had that brand before. Am going to try out an Ortovox and a Schoeffel jacket this week also.

Question, given you layer, if you go back-country do you take a small back pack for when you need to ditch layers if over-heating?

I have never really layered much with ski-ing but it seems to be more and more the way these days.

Bring on the powder.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
the last time i went skiing i just got off tge lift and was about to head down the trail when one of my friends had the idea "turn around for a picture!" so i turned around and i started sliding backwards, hit a tree and rolled off to the side. luckily the hill wasnt too steep other wise i might have rolled further down the hill :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Zero, I do not take a backpack. Since I layer with long underwear, long sleeve shirt, spyder jack, if I get to hot I just take the jacket off and because it is light weight I can tie it around my waste.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Donald1 I had a similar experience minus hitting the tree. I was on a double black diamond and making extremely tight cuts. One time I cut to hard and walla I am skiing backwards. So to make a long story short I survived and afterwards figured I better teach myself to ski backwards very well. Now, on an easier slop it is some thing I really like to do! ;) (at my age I am always choosing the easier slopes)

OP
Zero

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Brian, that gives me more to think about on options, much obliged. When I was a young buck we used to sometimes ski in just a t-shirt (obviously with pants!) for a laugh on the beautiful sunny days but over in Europe I find it gets just that much colder so it's not an option!!

Skiing backwards just makes it more fun! : )

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good news is that our local ski resort opens this weekend in Las Vegas. I cannot wait to hit those hills and then go to some even bigger resorts this year!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good news is that our local ski resort opens this weekend in Las Vegas. I cannot wait to hit those hills and then go to some even bigger resorts this year!
Mmm! You're making me salivate. I remember skiing the 'Powder Keg' at Breckenridge a whiłe back. Powder up to your waist.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love powder and we have that a plenty just next door in Utah. I love it when I can see my ski's only intermittently. That at 30 minute long runs! Our local skiing is typically not to powdery but..... half the time you can ski in a long sleeve t-shirt which is always fun. ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It has been awhile since I have skied in Colorado and I need to do that. Maybe ski during the day and train with my friend Bob Orlando in the night. That just might be the ticket if I can get the wife on board with it!

OP
Zero

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It has been awhile since I have skied in Colorado and I need to do that. Maybe ski during the day and train with my friend Bob Orlando in the night. That just might be the ticket if I can get the wife on board with it!
Training at night, sure. But don't forget the night skiing! Something very serene and tranquil about night skiing. One of my best skiing memories was skiing down the mountain as night was falling after the lifts had stopped with some very good buds; every now and then you or a mate in front would clip a rock and you'd see orange sparks from the edges. great times.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Skiers are all crazy. Going fast down a hill, standing up on flat, slippery boards on your feet. That's nuts. :)

This guy must be your king.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Training at night, sure. But don't forget the night skiing! Something very serene and tranquil about night skiing. One of my best skiing memories was skiing down the mountain as night was falling after the lifts had stopped with some very good buds; every now and then you or a mate in front would clip a rock and you'd see orange sparks from the edges. great times.

Night time skiing is spectacular. Particularly right at dusk. However, I have become a lover to warmth so I like skiing during the day better now! ;)

OP
Zero

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is crazy but I bet it would be fun. Maybe a little more excitement than I would be looking for at this stage in my life. ;)
When I saw the first part I was, for sure, I would go for that and then you get to see just how narrow that line gets!! : ) Awesome.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back country skiing is very different than going on-piste, so best to be geared up a bit differently.

You'll get a lot of use out of a good GoreTex ski parka. Brands are often a matter of preference. Brian mentioned Spyder, I have a Spyder jacket and a Millet parka. I like them both. On really cold (subzero F) days, I have layered the jacket under the parka.

Once you get in to the back country, a packable down jacket or parka is a must. Down is lighter and warmer than any sort of synthetic or polyfill, and its extra insulating properties are very important if conditions change or you otherwise get caught in an unexpected scenario.

Bring a complete change of clothes with you in the back country to keep in your car, even if they aren't ideal (too big, etc.) When my hiking partner got in to trouble last year while skiing, I would have done just about anything to have dry, warm clothes to change in to so I could go back up to help her.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haven't been on a set of ski's in years. I was strictly Cross Country though. Great work-out and I never had to worry about trees and boulders jumping out in front of me.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Love cross country skiing as well but it has been a long time. My wife likes snow shoeing so that is what we like to do the most!

Latest Discussions