I wanna be fast

D

Deathtrap101

Now i am fairly fast(i think), but i still would like more advice on how to be faster. There are big guys out there who can punch pretty damn hard. Im pretty big compared to alot of guys my age (15yo 6' , 168lbs) and im in shape. What workouts can i do to be faster and become stronger, because FORCE=MASS X ACCELERATION. any response would be good, thanks.

:asian:

OP
D

DJDragon

Punching with light weights should help with faster punches.

BTW, does anyone know if red fast twitch bodies effect your punches/kicks like they do your running?

OP
T

tonbo

.....training slow can help to develop your speed. Train techniques slowly, perhaps even with exaggerated movement a number of times, and gradually build up speed (over weeks, not repetitions...heh). Train your body to use certain "patterns" of motion, and work 'em until they are intuitive. That will help as well.

Another thing to consider is that while speed and mass are both good to have, so is torque. I am assuming that you are in the MA, as you are here....:D ....if so, take a hint from Elvis Presley: Get yer hips movin'!!! Popping the hip into your strikes can add a surprising amount of power. Also, get good at targets, so that you know *where* to strike. Yeah, others may be bigger or stronger, but they are still susceptible to pain in many targets. If you are able to put the right amount of "pressure" in the right place, it may make all things equal.

Last point for you: Size does not necessarily equal strength!! Remember that someone who is not built like Arnold can still pack a heck of a whallop, especially if they train for strength specifically. Train for size if you want it, but look into routines that will build your strength and endurance, and those will take you a bit further toward your goals.

Good luck!!

Peace--

OP
B

Bagatha

Originally posted by DJDragon

Punching with light weights should help with faster punches.

BTW, does anyone know if red fast twitch bodies effect your punches/kicks like they do your running?

Red meat is slow twitch fibers, white meat is fast twitch, then there are types of fast twitch.

Of course, muscles have only 1 function, and that is to contract, the greater the contractile force, the faster you will be. However you do not need to look like Arnold to be strong. In fact Arnold stated that while he was making the movie Conan, his extremely large muscles slowed him down. If you have alot of time here are a couple articles on some stuff....if you want more, you can do a search on Muscular Hyperplasia, or Muscular Hypertrophy.

http://www.afpafitness.com/FiberType.htm2
http://www.brinkzone.com/jose1.html
http://www.betterbodz.com/Tom/muscle_fiber_types_body_ty.html
http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~swatland/ch7_2.htm
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/ip/sigs/sports/martial-arts/faq/st1
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/m...otes/blanchaer_tutorials/Bob/metabolism_1.htm

OP
D

Danny

Is it not kinectic energy = half mass x speed squared?

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Faster??????

Just remember that MA isn't alle about being fast or punch the hardest. It's a matter of timing. You get that right and you can be slower than your oppenent and still "win".

Of course you need some speed, but this sounds like you have the basics, so technique and timing should do the rest.

/Yari

OP
R

RoninWolf

Plyometrics is said to develop fast twitch muscle fibres.

Also, as an alternative to punching with weights, try punching while stretching a resistance band. It will help yopu develop speed and power as well.

OP
S

sweeper

unless I'm mistaken plyometrics improves your ability to recruit muscle fibers (more than developing them).

OP
D

Deathtrap101

plyometrics??? never heard the term before. Lets use the average 15year olds vocabulary please.

ANd im not sure about the kinetic energy thing, i wouldnt doubt it being an equation but the one i wrote was one i got from my sensei and it seemed to check out with my math teacher when i asked him.

I know Yari, and thanks for the reminder, I will keep that in mind but i still wish to develope myself more physicaly. thanks:asian:

OP
R

RoninWolf

Ok, theoretically there are three basic types of resistance exercise.
The first is Isometric - this is where you exert strength without moving. Pushing against a wall would be an example.
The second, the name of which escapes me just at the moment, is the type of resistance training where either you or the object giving the resistance moves. Weight training and pushups are both examples.
Finally there is Plyometrics, in which explosive movement is created in conjunction with your stretch reflex. Skipping, jumping, and pushups where your hands leave the ground are all examples of this.
And yes, plyometrics, like weight training is initially about the recruitment of muscle fibres, but like weight training, it will eventually develop those fibres as well.
It should be noted that some plyometric exercises can be dangerous, but plyometrics in general does build explosive power.

OP
K

kenposcum

Another type of exercise I employ periodically is called isometrics (hold on, deathtrap!). This is essentially straining against a fixed object as hard as possible. So, to improve your punch(let's say it's a right reverse punch), get in your stance facing a wall, turn as though you were throwing the punch, place your fist (just the striking knuckles!) against the wall and PUSH as hard as you can, WITH YOUR WHOLE BODY, for about 6-10 seconds.
This helped me, it'll help you.

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the isometrics. My Sensei has us still do that every once in a while. A little twist here though, you don't have to have a fixed object that you push against. Instead of throwing your techniques at full power do it much slower. Ex...Front kick: chamber your kick, execute kick, re-chamber, and set down. This should take you about 10 seconds. This does help with your speed, plus it helps clean up your technique too. At first don't do it everyday because it will strain your muscles because you are using more of them that you didn't use before. Have fun.

OP
B

bscastro

Too big things which will help you with your speed.
1) Getting stronger. There are many ways to do this.
2) Making your techniques as efficient as possible. Using a jab as an example, I'm always trying to cut down on my excess movements. My instructor will sometimes flash a focus mitt at me. If he senses a "wind-up" he flips the mitt down. It's taught me to become non-telegraphic and to cut out any unecessary movements.
3) Timing is a big thing, as was mentioned before. Timing is what makes speed look good.

Cheers,
Bryan

OP
E

ECYili

One piece of equipment that I use that is probably one of the best all around things you can use for MA training is a common candle.

Candle trainning greatly improves speed, body actions, stances, root, focuses your technique, timing and your precision. The object to blow the candle out with any technque by not going past it which would act more like a fan but by stopping about 2-3 inches away. Only a sharp fast strike with proper technique, stance and body action will put out the candle. You can use kicks just the same the only difference with the kicks is that you snap the kick back to suck out the flame instead of blowing it out.

The height of the candle for your hand strikes should be about sternum to neck height and for your kicks is about waist height. The best types of candles to use are the stick candles, that way the last alot longer then those small ones.

Important note: If you don't feel like scrapeing dried wax off of your walls and floors put something behind the candles and on the floor cause you will hit your candles and wax will go a flying.

Just my 2 cents

Dan

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ECYili

One piece of equipment that I use that is probably one of the best all around things you can use for MA training is a common candle.

Candle trainning greatly improves speed, body actions, stances, root, focuses your technique, timing and your precision. The object to blow the candle out with any technque by not going past it which would act more like a fan but by stopping about 2-3 inches away. Only a sharp fast strike with proper technique, stance and body action will put out the candle. You can use kicks just the same the only difference with the kicks is that you snap the kick back to suck out the flame instead of blowing it out.

The height of the candle for your hand strikes should be about sternum to neck height and for your kicks is about waist height. The best types of candles to use are the stick candles, that way the last alot longer then those small ones.

Important note: If you don't feel like scrapeing dried wax off of your walls and floors put something behind the candles and on the floor cause you will hit your candles and wax will go a flying.

Just my 2 cents

Dan

It's this more of a test than a way of pratice?
I've never tried it though, so I might be wrong.

/Yari

OP
E

ECYili

No it's not a test. Though the candle doesn't discriminate, it will show you and anyone else that tries where their technique is flawed.
But this a form of daily practice. If you practice everyday for 30 days your speed will double and so on after that.

Once you of built up your speed to where you can put the candle out from about 5-6 inches away you put 2 of them together and start over. After that then there are other practices.

Dan

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I skimmed this thread so my apologies if this has been addressed.
But "Relax."
The more relaxed you are the faster you will be and Mr. Parker Jr even teaches that being relaxed will help you hit harder and activate nerve points.

These may also be helpful as I think they all relate to speed and being relaxed:

"The more relaxed you are the faster you will be."
-Bruce Lee

"When skin meets skin, tension begins."
and
"Anger can often constipate your retaliatory efforts."
-SGM Parker

:asian:

OP
S

sweeper

kinectic and force are not the same thing, so you are both correct.

I think the second form of exercise is called isotonic (constant preasure).

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is it not kinectic energy = half mass x speed squared?

this is basically true, but actual deliverable power is realised through intertia - which is the inclination for any object to stay in its current frame of reference..or more accurately (from Mirriam-Webster)
a property of matter by which it remains at rest or in uniform motion in the same straight line unless acted upon by some external force

The "external force" would be whatever u r hitting. Now, the inclination of an object to maintain its velocity relates to its mass - the heavier an object, the longer it will maintain its velocity; forces of acceleration (in this case the attempt to reduce the velocity of ur fist/foot) have less effect on the velocity of heavier objects...which is why a coal train moving at 20mph will hit a brick wall and keep moving at close to 20mph, while a car moving at 30mph will hit the wall and stop.

so while force=mass x velocity(2), slower heavier objects will deliver more force due to their inclination to keep moving.... which is why big slow guys generally hit "harder" than smaller faster guys. Its not that they generate more force, but more gets delivered. Look at Butterbean....he is huge, slow, and his hand speed sucks...but he delivers A LOT of power.

Sorry about that. Didnt mean to give a physics lesson. but i went through the same thing when i was 15..i was 6'0' and 140 lbs (yes, that skinny) and wanted to develop more power. More speed does generate more power, but doesnt deliver all that power. More mass generates power at a lower rate, but delivers more of it.

The most important thing i learnt while fencing is that "Speed will come with technique". When u get ur techniques right, your muscle memory will only fire the muscles you need to perform the necessary movement. This delivers more speed because the thing that slows u down is tension in anterior muscles.

And Yari is right, timing delivers more power, becuase u are using the opponents energy against him....which is why a well timed left hook delivers more knockouts than a freight-train style over-hand right.

my 0.02c

Latest Discussions