I Can't Believe I Did That!!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just for fun, tell your funny, embarassing or painful stories from your early days in martial arts!

Lol...I'm still having them! However:

When I first started TKD, we had a routine at the end of class. Samnahbim would hold aloft, at nearly 7 ft, a padded bopper and we would run towrds it and execute a jumping kick, typically a front kick.
I was last in line that day, cause it was my first week. Now, I ran fast and I jumped high! I connected my foot to that bopper beautifully, I must say. Sadly, though, my other foot continued along it path and, when I went to land, it was not where it should've been. It was like a moment from the three stooges, I tell ya. I landed hard and laughing at the same time :)

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
This happened in one of my first sparring classes:

A 7th dan instructor of ours was running the class, and we were sparring. He was teasing me, and he put an ax kick right on my shoulder and left it there. I grabbed his ankle and pushed him off me with both hands.

Down, down, DOWN he crashed.

TIMBER!

He wasn't very pleased.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was this one time, at band camp...

Wait, wrong topic...

There was a time at TKD, however, that was eruptively funny to me and those farthest from me :)

We were stretching and we were on our backs, actually doing leg lifts. Samnahbim was walking around, threatening to step on peoples stomachs. Well, when he got to me, he did! Just as stepped on, I let go with a perfect fart. HooHoo! I laughed, he laughed and those farthest from me laughed. Those nearest soon got farther away, though :)

He didn't step on me tummy for some time after that :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
. Well, when he got to me, he did! Just as stepped on, I let go with a perfect fart. HooHoo! I laughed, he laughed and those farthest from me laughed.
And thus, that very day was born a new Pooooooooomse, ha! :)

Yeah I'm with you on this one, there's something about stretching hard after a big fajita... Of course ladies don't - just something I read about ;)

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, not that it'll beat your stomach story, but my first (I've had many) embarrasing ordeal was at my first testing. There were 4 Master's there and the Grand Master flew in from Chgo. Needless to say, I was nervouss as he.., well, you know.

A student was performing his one steps and I was across from him. All I had to do was step forward and throw a punch so he could execute his one step. Simple, right? I stepped forward, caught my toe in between the mats, fell flat on my face and broke my toe to boot. Nothing like 150 people laughing at you on your first test. Humility comes quickly in this business. :rolleyes:

Fast forward. It's many years later and I'm the one conducting the test with Sabumnim on the bench. The test is over, I ask the parents to rise and we all face the flags. But my lips are dry and I yell FACE THE FAGS!

Dead silence as everyone turns to stare at me...Then they start laughing. I shrug and laugh. Oops.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lololol...those rock, Gem!

Sorry about your toe; but, the fags story is rare :)

The Lorax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I went to a big seminar held at the my region's main USAF dojo, by one of the best teachers around. I came home from college the night before, and took the train there at 6 in the morning. I got there by 8 and was the first one. The Uchi Deshi there were still setting up, I came in they had me take of my shoes and put them on the rack. They then realised there were too many of their shoes there for everyone elses to fit. So I took mine, and they put the rest in a box somewhere. They were just about done, when the head instructor comes and sees me standing there holding my shoes, looking confused, in front of the shoe rack. He gave me a look, looked at the shoe rack, and politely told me my shoes go on the rack. I was so embarrassed, I was really looking forward to meeting him as my sensei spoke highly of him, and I completely embarrassed myself. That was the only thing he said to me that seminar.

G

Gary Crawford

My turn! A couple years ago, I taught a seminar at a Kempo school that happened to be fairly close to where I live. They invited me to come to regular classes so I could get a more regular workout. One night we were practicing some self-defense techniques that had to do with having your back against a wall. My training partner was a friend of mine I had been helping. This is one of the stiffest people I have ever met. The technique involved getting control of the attacker and slinging him into the wall. When I did this,my partner resisted,so I put i little more force into it, and WHAMMM!! I broke the wall with him!! OOPPSSS!!!

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"I broke the wall with him"! What could be better, I wonder?

And, Lorax, there's nothing more embarassing than the big guy thinking your a moron entirely out of context. I can't imagine :)

Keep 'em coming, guys!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the things I have to do for each belt level is three step sparring- I was on the defending end, and had to execute a leg sweep. Typically (though not always) we don't carry to the actual throw because of no mats, and not everyone knows how to fall properly. I was NERVOUS and somewhat irritated with my partner at the time, and carried it out completely, and not very easily on them. There was this loud bang, and everyone turned around to look at us. All I could do was laugh and apologize. I've also said it here before of when I had to do a jumping front kick. I jumped, kicked, landed, and my landing foot slipped and I went BOOM! Again- all attention was on me.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was 20 and we had one dressing room where I was studying. I was half way to getting starting to get dressed when 2 ladies came in and just started undressing and getting into their uniforms

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I was working on rolls just like the rest of the class. First line goes and now there is room to roll for the second line so I go, Well I roll just a little left, and one of the instructors had jsut rolled and was rolling a little right.

Can anyone guess what happened?

My heel came around on the roll and caught the iunstructor in the leg. Luckily it was just painful and nothing broken, but that was one rough class. ;) No harder then usual, just me making it harder after the mistake. For somewehre in there none of the second line rolled yet, so I must have missed some queue given.

I was at this seminar (* No I will not state where oe when *), and when this Colored belt of the system of the seminar (* not any of my systems *), mentioned to one of the quest instructors that she also had a Black Belt ins Shoto Kan. I said, "I am proud of you." She just looked at me all upset, and then walked away. I turned to the others present and asked why did she leave. They were shocked. They then asked me what I had said. I repeated myself, and they siad that is not what it sounded like. Needless to say the garbled words seemd to have insulted the poor young lady. I felt bad the whole event.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uh, accidently grabbed a part of a co-ed I shouldn't have in college Judo class.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hmmmm....that is embarassing. I fight a few teen girls during class and I really have to focus in order to NOT strike them in the boobalas. No matter how hard I try, it still happens from time to time and it's mortifying to me. I apologize then immediately feel like I shouldn't have said anything. Very embarassing, indeed.

Dionysianexile

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One day in class, my instructor called the class over to the heavy bag to demonstrate some sort of roundhouse like punch strike, and asked me to hold the bag. I was behind the bag, and could here him talking, but could not see, so I peeked around the bag, just when he was demonstrating the strike. Needless to say, it caught me right in the eye...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dionysianexile said:
One day in class, my instructor called the class over to the heavy bag to demonstrate some sort of roundhouse like punch strike, and asked me to hold the bag. I was behind the bag, and could here him talking, but could not see, so I peeked around the bag, just when he was demonstrating the strike. Needless to say, it caught me right in the eye...

:eek:

Ouch!

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ow! I've caught some kicks to the hand holding a bag; but, not in the eye!

annie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well we were sparring the other night and I had a long day and went to a spinning class that morning. Well my legs were beat. I managed to flamingo up to go in for a heel kick to the stomach....needless to say my legs were shot and managed to give him a driving kick to the groin pulled back and got my toe hooked on his cup strap which snapped back in place!!!! OOOPPS At least he was wearing a cup

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Trying to do a round kick with a padholder and....missing the pad.

My signature Kenpo technique: Flattening the Kenshi!

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I was at this seminar (* No I will not state where oe when *), and when this Colored belt of the system of the seminar (* not any of my systems *), mentioned to one of the quest instructors that she also had a Black Belt ins Shoto Kan. I said, "I am proud of you." She just looked at me all upset, and then walked away. I turned to the others present and asked why did she leave. They were shocked. They then asked me what I had said. I repeated myself, and they siad that is not what it sounded like. Needless to say the garbled words seemd to have insulted the poor young lady. I felt bad the whole event.

I've been trying to work out what it was that she thought you said. What does 'I'm proud of you' sound like thats offensive then? What did everyone think you said?

Latest Discussions