Human Weapon : Ninjutsu Episode featuring Budo Taijutsu!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this argument has gotten a bit elementry. Everyone IS judging by millimeters. And "a cut to the lat isn't very lethal"????? hahahahahaha
where do you come from? i hate papercuts !! I think Jason did well (i am speaking only with the H2H) because, lets face it, MMA guys train like they fight, everyday, EVERYDAY. everyday they go to their dojo, they end the day with a "fight", a real fight. next time everyone is at thier dojo's, look around, pay attention to what your whole training day has consisted of. a lot of standing around listening, a lot of 1/4 speed technique, then very few 1/2 speed techniques. and even then your uke is not acting like a real combatent. these MMA guys FIGHT everyday they go in. it's no wonder. were the real ninjas of old good, without a doubt, and the samurai, shaolin, phillipinos, all were extremely deadly because they HAD to use it for real, and they did, everyday !!!!
we go 2,3, mabe 4 times a week, for the single guys. again it's no wonder.

Well, I won't dispute all of this. :) Of course, I'm sure there're some schools that are more hard core than others, and I'm not referring to MMA necessarily. Personally, I get upset when I'm training and the other person is going half way with me. I mean, thats the reason I train..to defend myself. Nothing irks me more, when someone stops a punch 4 in. away for gives me a massage, rather than an actual choke. Fortunately for me, I have some great teachers who keep it real for me. :)

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
while Jason was mounted on Doug back, Doug's head was under his shoulder (while rolling out from under Jason). you can tell where Dougs head should be at this point, and thats where Jasons strike seems to go. however since our view of Jasons strike was blocked by Dougs shoulder we cant know for certain where it landed or how effective it wouldve been.

Agreed.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For those who said this is getting silly...I agree, it is. As I said in another post...it was simply a game of tag. Everyone has good/bad days, and the outcome can vary from match to match, day to day. The show gave the Bujinkan some good exposure, although, I'd have liked it to focus more on BBT, rather than going 'outside' for the knife, sword and shuriken work.

Jason took Doug down. And???? Royce was taken down, Chuck was beat, other fighters have been KO'd..yet they still have a huge fanbase.

Keep training hard in your respective arts. Keep an open mind to other things out there and strive to make yourself better each and every time you step into the training hall. That is what makes a solid Martial Artist, nothing else.

Mike

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok. Changing the subject for a sec. Just saw the show last night, and was wondering where that 'obstical course' is? That at Hombu?
And in regards to the show in it"s entirety, it was a good show, and I just took it for what it was, a show; entertainment, even with a little misinformation present. (That Kenjutsu Sensei looked annoyed that there were a couple of chattering gaijin in his dojo, though !)

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, because a millimeter is still a miss. IF YOU CAN SEE IT, POST A TIME FROM THE VIDEO!!! If you have a problem with that, leave the conversation. & if YOU actually think that a little cut to the latissimus dorsi IS lethal, or even crippling, you need to get out more & study some anatomy.

*hahahahaahahahaha*
hmmmm......well i am a paramedic soooo.......anyway, with a blade that's big and heavy, there is no small cut. go and a good inch into your side, a sword would easily cut an inch deep, simply by the weight of it, and tell me it doesn't take your will to fight away.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
hmmmm......well i am a paramedic soooo.......anyway, with a blade that's big and heavy, there is no small cut. go and a good inch into your side, a sword would easily cut an inch deep, simply by the weight of it, and tell me it doesn't take your will to fight away.

hmmmmm..... I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman, sooooo..... People are shot and stabbed all the time in the mix, and don't know it until later, often after they kill their opponent or escape, and that's to essential structures & organs, etc, not a minor cut to a skeletal muscle.

The Dubious Quick Kill 1 & The Dubious Quick Kill 2

& I'm still waiting for that time of this figment of a stabbing.

*hahahahahahahahahah*

Seattletcj

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you have a problem with that, leave the conversation. & if YOU actually think that a little cut to the latissimus dorsi IS lethal, or even crippling, you need to get out more & study some anatomy.

Do you even know where the latissimus dorsi is located?
Maybe we're not watching the same video.

LOL
Heres a "lat" FYI

rhomb_lat.jpg

This is sooooo silly.
At 5:19

The sword is thrust down into Dougs face/neck....it comes to a hard stop, obviously hitting something......
And Jason stops his attack, knowing he has scored a clean hit.
I believe I also hear someone yell "hit" in the background as it happens.

Jesus this is dumb. But the conspiracy seems to be gaining momentum on the forums.
Wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hahahahahaha okay...........whatever you say guys. this is so pathetic, i'm outta this.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just saw it with my DVR.

I liked the final fight with the use of the Surikan as a distraction. I thought the guy from the Tai Bujaitsu art did it quite well and was able to smoothly with the stars to the sword and also from staff to sword.

I enjoyed the episode.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Big Bill Duff (BBD): I'm big and burly!
The Fighting Jason Chambers (FJC): And I'm small and squirrly!
BBD and FJC: And were to here make asses of ourselves on TV!
BBD: With my superior strength
FJC: And my MMA experiance
BBD and FJC: We'll take on people who've been doing this for years!

But I do like this show. A lot. Looking forward to FQ. For some reason I see BBD as a bear and FJC as a squirrel. An anime-esqe squirll. With lots of product in his hair. And a very high pitched voice. "C'monyoucandoit!Watchyourgaurdhandsupfightfightfight!C'monDuffster!oooooooooo!"

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just saw it with my DVR.

I liked the final fight with the use of the Surikan as a distraction. I thought the guy from the Tai Bujaitsu art did it quite well and was able to smoothly with the stars to the sword and also from staff to sword.

I enjoyed the episode.

What?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you even know where the latissimus dorsi is located?
Maybe we're not watching the same video.

LOL
Heres a "lat" FYI

rhomb_lat.jpg

This is sooooo silly.
At 5:19

The sword is thrust down into Dougs face/neck....it comes to a hard stop, obviously hitting something......
And Jason stops his attack, knowing he has scored a clean hit.
I believe I also hear someone yell "hit" in the background as it happens.

Jesus this is dumb. But the conspiracy seems to be gaining momentum on the forums.
Wonderful.

No, I see the problem. There's another video. I'll try to find the one that I saw, the miss is clear. But you're right, it is dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely! I stepped through it before ripping the tag session and it appears to have missed (close but no cigar). I could probably do some still captures if I can get around to it. Gotta train tonight, so another time! :)

I assume that you saw the other footage that I'm talking about, would you mind posting something to clear this up? Thanks.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I assume that you saw the other footage that I'm talking about, would you mind posting something to clear this up? Thanks.

I went through it stop frame and it still wasn't the evidence people are looking for, as there isn't a good angle on it. However, after looking at how the shinai bent, and the position of Doug, it certainly seems to me that Doug was rolling around the blade and wasn't actually stabbed (it appeared to hit the floor just in front of his face), and before Jason could adjust, he lost his balance and was falling forward taking the sword with him.

I didn't post the 4 or 5 still shots I captured because while it is fun to pick it apart and say "See I told you Doug was awesome!", it really all is silly and I personally don't want to continue this debate any longer! They all did well!
icon14.gif

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What What?

Did you have an actual question or you just picking another fight with negative posts?

Ok Jude, I will presume to understand your question.

Why did I make the comment that I like the episode?

Of course I do not like the hosts, but as Ihave stated that in other threads I did not repeat myself as I thought my opinion was known.

Since, I know some people who practice the art, it could a couple of things.

First, I am just being PC and saying I like it and move on.

Second, I could be secretly enthrlled by wanting to be a ninja and therefore say all ninja stuff is cool. As this is really not me, I will have to say no to this.

Third, I could dislike the art compeltely, and want to just point out something that was positive as opposed to be a negative type person.

Fourth, I did like the episode. I guess I am stupid. I disagree with you yet again. Wow surprising. I liked the idea of using a weapon to distract for another weapon. I could not care about the rank of those involved. The comment I made was about how the hosts looks awkward, and the practitioner of the art made it look smooth.

I also liked the "REAL" blade training. Even at quarter speed. The number of people who freak out when a real blade is even shown them, let alone handed to them so you can show where the cuts will be on your body during certain technqiues. All done in a controlled fashion, and even with tape on the blade. Most people refuse to train this way, or even look at it. The other end is the other side wear people go full force with no real skill yet and just try to stab and cut people. and this is how injuries occur.

I liked how they talked about some history and how they would infiltrate as farmers and other commoners to get into a place to spy. I liked the way they also had different people handle different weapons and skills. I thought this gave people a way to see different people in the art. I thought it also gave people a way to see different weapons and how their are pieces of this art that total up to the sum.

Finally, I know very little about this art, and wish to not get into an arguement with those here who are much more knowledgable then I am. So I make a simple statement and move on. I had no idea that someone who had attacked me in another thread would continue to attack me in this thread.

Of course if you speaking of my slaughtering of the arts name, then I apologize first for the hack job on the name. Then I apologize for once again not truly understanding your oblique comment of "WHAT?" when my only experience with you is with you attacking me, and not being able to talk abotu the issues. Oh let us not forget that before the rep reset you had someone also give me negative rep for disagreeing with you. Bring this all together, and you get my response of confusion and not understanding why you are so negative and insulting. But, as I do not have time to understand your issues, I have my own, I will just add you to my ignore list.

In conclusion, it could be part of one, and three, and a lot of four and just a touch of five.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok Jude, I will presume to understand your question.

Why did I make the comment that I like the episode?

Of course I do not like the hosts, but as Ihave stated that in other threads I did not repeat myself as I thought my opinion was known.

Since, I know some people who practice the art, it could a couple of things.

First, I am just being PC and saying I like it and move on.

Second, I could be secretly enthrlled by wanting to be a ninja and therefore say all ninja stuff is cool. As this is really not me, I will have to say no to this.

Third, I could dislike the art compeltely, and want to just point out something that was positive as opposed to be a negative type person.

Fourth, I did like the episode. I guess I am stupid. I disagree with you yet again. Wow surprising. I liked the idea of using a weapon to distract for another weapon. I could not care about the rank of those involved. The comment I made was about how the hosts looks awkward, and the practitioner of the art made it look smooth.

I also liked the "REAL" blade training. Even at quarter speed. The number of people who freak out when a real blade is even shown them, let alone handed to them so you can show where the cuts will be on your body during certain technqiues. All done in a controlled fashion, and even with tape on the blade. Most people refuse to train this way, or even look at it. The other end is the other side wear people go full force with no real skill yet and just try to stab and cut people. and this is how injuries occur.

I liked how they talked about some history and how they would infiltrate as farmers and other commoners to get into a place to spy. I liked the way they also had different people handle different weapons and skills. I thought this gave people a way to see different people in the art. I thought it also gave people a way to see different weapons and how their are pieces of this art that total up to the sum.

Finally, I know very little about this art, and wish to not get into an arguement with those here who are much more knowledgable then I am. So I make a simple statement and move on. I had no idea that someone who had attacked me in another thread would continue to attack me in this thread.

Of course if you speaking of my slaughtering of the arts name, then I apologize first for the hack job on the name. Then I apologize for once again not truly understanding your oblique comment of "WHAT?" when my only experience with you is with you attacking me, and not being able to talk abotu the issues. Oh let us not forget that before the rep reset you had someone also give me negative rep for disagreeing with you. Bring this all together, and you get my response of confusion and not understanding why you are so negative and insulting. But, as I do not have time to understand your issues, I have my own, I will just add you to my ignore list.

In conclusion, it could be part of one, and three, and a lot of four and just a touch of five.

I agree with everything you said! Especially the blade training ^_^

& sorry, I meant to say "why?" & I said "what?" Typo, I was tired. We can argue all we want about social issues, but I've read enough of your posts to respect your opinions on MAs.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
while Jason was mounted on Doug back, Doug's head was under his shoulder (while rolling out from under Jason). you can tell where Dougs head should be at this point, and thats where Jasons strike seems to go. however since our view of Jasons strike was blocked by Dougs shoulder we cant know for certain where it landed or how effective it wouldve been.

Actually we can know for certain, through the magic of slow-motion replay. :)

When I first watched it, it looked to me like Jason tried a cut from which Doug was continually moving away. But I now have a copy of the show downloaded directly from the initial broadcast and have looked at it a number of times in slow-mo. . .And I was wrong about what I thought I saw.

Jason wasn't trying to cut, it was a reverse-grip stab. Which missed. It didn't even bounce off Doug on the way to the floor, it simply missed completely.

Based solely on what survived the editing process and was actually broadcast, I'd have to call the Jason/Doug match a clear "win" for Doug with weapons, and a draw -- with Doug being thrown, but then escaping without being stabbed or pinned -- on the hand-to-hand part.

Latest Discussions