How to Perform a Horse Stance Elbow?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If we use the same Kicho form set, think of Kicho Hyung Sam Bu. Three horse stance punches up and down the middle line. You progressively move forward through the form, from horse stance to horse stance.
I can visualize what they are thinking; that the chest is always the front. I feel this is incorrect. If I am in a horse stance the punching fist dictates where the front is as well as direction of travel.
I think part of it is simply training in different styles. Some styles may never practice walking through a horse stance so never learn that the body is turned into the direction of desired travel.
The only way I can picture this is half-mooning in a horse stance, which depending on the horse stance your style has may be difficult. I think a video and/or picture would be necessary for this, to solve the confusion.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Forward us the direction your toes are facing to , it being walking move, the orientation of the rest of your body is if no concern
.he definitely said moving IN a horse stance

He said moving forward or perpendicular. You also don't move while in a static stance. If you're going to criticize someone over sentence structure, I'm going to have to use the H-word.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He said moving forward or perpendicular. You also don't move while in a static stance. If you're going to criticize someone over sentence structure, I'm going to have to use the H-word.
It's perfectly clear he is talking about moving whilst in a horse stance 0 now even you seem to think that is ill advised

Last edited:

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Koryo, you're striking someone who's to your side in the solar plexus. You strike with the tip of your elbow. The palm of your striking arm is facing down, because if you do with your palm up it's extremely awkward.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Koryo, you're striking someone who's to your side in the solar plexus. You strike with the tip of your elbow. The palm of your striking arm is facing down, because if you do with your palm up it's extremely awkward.
I was taught it palm up and have been doing it that way for about 37 years. Much more awkward for me to do a palm down elbow in a horse stance. It is all about how you were taught and the application.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. But the Kukkiwon stances are quite different from the way I was taught. Guess I need to brush up. Conformity sucks.:)

I'd like to see a video of you performing that technique. Maybe that would tell me why it's so different.

My assumption here is you may be using the palm-down version at the same height as the palm-up version, and that's why it's going awry. Do the elbow strike at your shoulder level, and palm-down is definitely the way to go.

Similar for those who are finding it awkward to do palm-up. (Cough @WaterGal Cough). If you do the palm-up variant at shoulder-height, it is extremely awkward. If you do it at belly height or lower, it's more comfortable, and playing around with it, it has greater reach than the palm-down version.

I do feel the official KKW version is stronger (but that could be because I've practiced it more), and I feel it makes more use of the augmenting hand.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd like to see a video of you performing that technique. Maybe that would tell me why it's so different.

My assumption here is you may be using the palm-down version at the same height as the palm-up version, and that's why it's going awry. Do the elbow strike at your shoulder level, and palm-down is definitely the way to go.

Similar for those who are finding it awkward to do palm-up. (Cough @WaterGal Cough). If you do the palm-up variant at shoulder-height, it is extremely awkward. If you do it at belly height or lower, it's more comfortable, and playing around with it, it has greater reach than the palm-down version.

I do feel the official KKW version is stronger (but that could be because I've practiced it more), and I feel it makes more use of the augmenting hand.
I was with you until that last sentence. Again, it is much to do with how a person was taught and practiced.
I have broken 6 non-spaced 12" boards palm up stepping in horse stance fashion. I have broken 8 spaced blocks from a static deep front/side? stance palm down. I feel certain the board break, un-spaced is much harder.
I do not see enough base in stances of the video versions I watched to feel like they were super strong. I get the sense that is not what the form is trying to portray. Instead it is about being more mobile and agile I think.
This is much the ramblings of an old man who hates to see wholesale changes in something I have done for a very long time. Have to learn to roll with it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was with you until that last sentence. Again, it is much to do with how a person was taught and practiced.
I have broken 6 non-spaced 12" boards palm up stepping in horse stance fashion. I have broken 8 spaced blocks from a static deep front/side? stance palm down. I feel certain the board break, un-spaced is much harder.
I do not see enough base in stances of the video versions I watched to feel like they were super strong. I get the sense that is not what the form is trying to portray. Instead it is about being more mobile and agile I think.
This is much the ramblings of an old man who hates to see wholesale changes in something I have done for a very long time. Have to learn to roll with it.

Were the blocks the same height in both breaks?

I'm having a hard time seeing an elbow strike have the range to go through 8 spaced blocks.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm having a hard time seeing an elbow strike have the range to go through 8 spaced blocks.

It doesn't need to. It merely has to transfer power. In the picture I use for an avatar, I'm breaking 10 16x8x2 pavers. My hand certainly didn't come out the bottom.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The question specifically relates to a poomsae but I not mention the form name in an attempt not to muddy the question.
Picture moving forward or perpendicular in a horse stance and performing an elbow strike in the direction you are moving. If you were standing static in a horse stance the strike would be to the side.
How do you use your hands?
Considering the stance you are in what is your target?
What part of the elbow do you use?
Is the palm of the striking hand up or down?
Why?

I hope to hear from more than just TKD folks. Thanks,

To answer, you really have to put this in the context of the form you're talking about. Because outside of forms, the strike can be done palm up, palm down, palm vertical. Open handed, closed fist.
Forms are stylized. In forms, you're expected to perform each movement in a very specific way. Outside of forms, you're not.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't need to. It merely has to transfer power. In the picture I use for an avatar, I'm breaking 10 16x8x2 pavers. My hand certainly didn't come out the bottom.

Does it work the same for spaced boards?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does it work the same for spaced boards?

Good question.
Yes.
Spacers don't really affect the difficulty of a break. What they do is change the order of the break.
When you hit something, it bends. To break it, you have to cause it to flex beyond the amount it can bend.
If you break a stack of unspaced boards or bricks or whatever, they break from the bottom. If you break the same thing with spacers, they break from the top.
So if you smack a stack without spacers and do not transfer enough power to break the whole stack, a lot of that power is going to rebound into you. Which can break your hand.
If you smack the same stack with spacers and don't break them all, the power is expended on the partial break. So you don't hurt yourself.
Spacers make power breaks safer. Not easier.

Last edited:

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Shotokan, part of the kihon for 6th kyu is a forearm block (shoto ude uke) in front stance followed by a transition to horse stance and an elbow strike. Later on, a back fist and reverse punch is added to the sequence.

For this particular move, we use a closed fist with the palm facing down. The target is the solar plexus and we strike with the the tip of the elbow. To me, it seems like it would be awkward with the palm up. For a a little while, I incorrectly had my palm facing my body as that felt most natural to me. However, now that I've been doing it palm-down, everything else feels unnatural!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good question.
Yes.
Spacers don't really affect the difficulty of a break.
I do not think this is correct. Totally TKD had an article which determined a formula for increased force needed for each available piece of wood - without spacers. USed a fist cast from lead and all sorts of force gauges. I don't think the same formula applies for spacers. But everything will change radically due to needing to maintain a certain level of force over a greater distance with spacers.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, skribs are you also referring to moving in the direction the toes are pointing or perpendicular to that direction i.e. sideways?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, skribs are you also referring to moving in the direction the toes are pointing or perpendicular to that direction i.e. sideways?

Depends on what you consider your frame of reference for "forward". The move in question starts from a front walking stance, and you step forward (from that stance) and pivot into a horse stance.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The board break is horizontal, the block break is vertical. Long block breaks do not travel the entire length of the block stack because each block fills the void and breaks the next block, kind of like dominos falling; but I get what you are saying.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

At either height, I can feel a painful pulling in my triceps when doing it palm-up.

Latest Discussions