How to Perform a Horse Stance Elbow?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not think this is correct. Totally TKD had an article which determined a formula for increased force needed for each available piece of wood - without spacers. USed a fist cast from lead and all sorts of force gauges. I don't think the same formula applies for spacers. But everything will change radically due to needing to maintain a certain level of force over a greater distance with spacers.

Granted, the impacts are not identical. But according to one of our kids (he's got a PhD in mechanical engineering, so I don't argue with him) the difference is trivial. He points out that honeycombing makes materials stronger while also making them lighter.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At either height, I can feel a painful pulling in my triceps when doing it palm-up.
Do you mean at the point of attack or generally through the motion?

It really is a completely different kind of strike coming from a horse stance. I think we all agree it is a mid to low target regardless of the opponents current orientation and ultimate strike area. It is linear in flow with the step while still twisting to maintain strong Um Yong in the strike motion.

***On a side note, I love all of us getting back into a conversation specifically about an element of MA.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When your opponent gives you a bear hug from behind, you drop into a wide low horse stance with both elbows strike out side way is a good defense.

I don't know what that has to do with the question you quoted.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Granted, the impacts are not identical. But according to one of our kids (he's got a PhD in mechanical engineering, so I don't argue with him) the difference is trivial. He points out that honeycombing makes materials stronger while also making them lighter.
That may be true, but spacing breaking materials is not the same as "Honeycombing."
There is no mechanical "Connection" with spacers. As for engineers.... I put them in the same category as physicists, weatherman and economists. Not always great at predictions, but really good at explaining why their predictions were wrong. One of my favorite articles along these lines is "The Physics of Karate" Came across it in 1979 when it appeared.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on what you consider your frame of reference for "forward". The move in question starts from a front walking stance, and you step forward (from that stance) and pivot into a horse stance.
I think the point of contention was not "Moving into" a horse stance but moving while in a horse stance. i.e already in a horse stance and somehow moving forward which would be in the direction the toes are pointing While already in the stance into another horse stance and performing the Elbow.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
To Water
At either height, I can feel a painful pulling in my triceps when doing it palm-up.
I assume from your screen name you are female. If so, then you have to take note that the angle of the females elbow joint as they reach adulthood is different than males. As a result we see female softball players pitch underhand and the old saying "You throw like a girl" The anatomical .difference my play a role in how yu need to do n elbow technique.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Koryo, you're striking someone who's to your side in the solar plexus. You strike with the tip of your elbow. The palm of your striking arm is facing down, because if you do with your palm up it's extremely awkward.
For an elbow strike to the side thrown below my shoulder height (as is done in the videos of koryo hyung I just watched), I actually prefer a vertical palm facing towards my chest.

For strikes at my shoulder height or higher I go with palm down. I reserve palm up for elbow strikes to the rear.

That's just based on my anatomy. I have no idea what the TKD authorities have decreed for the official choreography.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For an elbow strike to the side thrown below my shoulder height (as is done in the videos of koryo hyung I just watched), I actually prefer a vertical palm facing towards my chest.

For strikes at my shoulder height or higher I go with palm down. I reserve palm up for elbow strikes to the rear.

That's just based on my anatomy. I have no idea what the TKD authorities have decreed for the official choreography.
I am not sure the TKD authorities agree either. For middle level or down I agree, palm in or palm up. I will have to try it on the bag/bob but I don't think it would matter to me whether it was a strike to the front or rear. For me palm up feels more natural when in a horse stance. For higher strikes palm down.

Latest Discussions