Choreography and its effects on the principles of stance and body mechanics

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
- Solo form (or drill) training is to "polish" MA skill.
- Pole hanging, weight training are to "enhance" MA skill.
- Sparring/wrestling is to "test" MA skill.
- Partner training is to "develop" MA skill.

Solo form training is only 1/4 of the total MA training.
Until it's 5/4ths. ;)

Never forget, there was once no 36th chamber.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just think this kind of training is more fun. It's well balanced on both sides with nice:

- power generation,
- body unification (all body parts move and stop at the same time),
- footwork.

I had a feeling you dig some solo forms. So many forms out there but some are a lot better than others.

6 Harmonies Boxing is one of Yue Fei's solo form which blends Shaolin and Daoist elements and actually has some historical evidence. So it's really no different than, say, the Five Element Five Animal Fist in terms of all those things. The good stuff.

I might do a thread on Xin Yi vs Hung Ga 5 element theory. Had a talk with sifu today about that.

Last edited:

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm always skeptical about arguments that "art x from region y follows certain principles because the inhabitants of region y have a particular body type (small, tall, lanky, stocky, whatever) that works well for those principles."

The reason for my skepticism is that even if the inhabitants of that region do have a certain body type, they will spend most of their time fighting against other inhabitants of the same region who have the same body type, so it cancels out. Being stocky doesn't give you any advantage in head-on attacks if you are doing it against someone else who is equally stocky.
I agree with you but in a different context. Historically, countries, cities, tribes, who frequently battled, adjusted to fight in ways that worked against their adversary regardless of body type. The environment was used as a tool in many cases.

Latest Discussions