How to get a blackbelt

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Just a quick one, I'd love to hear people's opinions on this video, specifically about doing self-defence scenarios and 1v3 sparring as a blackbelt test, as this is the first I've heard of this kind of thing being done in a Kung Fu grading.

I personally think it's a great idea and wish more schools did this (including my own, but that's not going to happen anytime soon). What do you guys think?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Just a quick one, I'd love to hear people's opinions on this video, specifically about doing self-defence scenarios and 1v3 sparring as a blackbelt test, as this is the first I've heard of this kind of thing being done in a Kung Fu grading.

I personally think it's a great idea and wish more schools did this (including my own, but that's not going to happen anytime soon). What do you guys think?
yes we do a not disimarlar thing at higher level grades, and generaly kata at lower levels. Though they made an exception for me, as if they tested my kata I would never get a promotion. And allowed me to knock a few black belts over as an effectivness test 2on 1

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
On yellow to blue, we have a attack b, b attack c, c attack a.
On blue to purple, 1 vs 2 purple, on purple to brown, 1 vs 3 brown, on brown to black, it is against the sifu.
Granted the 2 purple and 3 brown won't be all out, but to test if the student deserved to be the same rank as them, no pulling punches and kicks though, all 100%.
While the brown to black against the sifu is to test if the student is ready to carry the school banner.
Usually it ends when the student able to defend many strikes or able to deliver one clean strike (which was never happened when i trained there).

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Meanwhile in kudo.

Um... I think the issue with three on one sparring is the three guys are rarely there to work you over. So I am not sure what the lesson is.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In most NGA schools, self-defense testing is part of the requirements for brown and black. Multiple attacker scenarios show up for black belt testing. I've started introducing this at much earlier stages. I think it's a good practice to test against attacks (both simulated/assigned and sparring) if you're teaching for self-defense use.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Meanwhile in kudo.

Um... I think the issue with three on one sparring is the three guys are rarely there to work you over. So I am not sure what the lesson then becomes.

well its a demonstration of abilityrather than a sparing match. They are there for you to show that you can use your techniques' effectively. They have to put enough in that you need to do your kicks punches blocks and turns effectively in real time at real speed. If the alternative is kata and air kicks then its a much better test

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In most NGA schools, self-defense testing is part of the requirements for brown and black. Multiple attacker scenarios show up for black belt testing. I've started introducing this at much earlier stages. I think it's a good practice to test against attacks (both simulated/assigned and sparring) if you're teaching for self-defense use.

Yeah. Saw a good one from your style. the dude got mauled. By any means necessary and they meant it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile in kudo.

Um... I think the issue with three on one sparring is the three guys are rarely there to work you over. So I am not sure what the lesson is.
If it's truly 1-on-3 sparring of similar levels, the 3 should destroy the 1 in very short order. (The same would be true if someone had to spar everyone of the next rank 1 at a time - after a few opponents, the person testing should be getting beaten up, since the others are fresh.)

We do some scenarios (assigned attacks, limited follow-up) with multiple attackers to test movement, defense, and awareness, but there's no way to go all-in on that sort of thing with any real safety.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Saw a good one from your style. the dude got mauled. By any means necessary and they meant it.
That sounds like a test from down in South Carolina. I think one of the BB there posted part of his test. The instructor there upped the ante nicely in how he does the testing. That particular instruction is one of the new ones, and perhaps my favorite. It pretty much ensures failure on that particular attack, and the grading is more on how you control things to try to find openings. The only real hope there is that you draw two "attackers" who are significantly junior (maybe a couple of green belts) - there's a chance then.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it's truly 1-on-3 sparring of similar levels, the 3 should destroy the 1 in very short order. (The same would be true if someone had to spar everyone of the next rank 1 at a time - after a few opponents, the person testing should be getting beaten up, since the others are fresh.)

We do some scenarios (assigned attacks, limited follow-up) with multiple attackers to test movement, defense, and awareness, but there's no way to go all-in on that sort of thing with any real safety.

There is a pretty big leap from going all in to helping people succeed though.

You could be sitting between the two and still have a lot of room to move.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed. I've seen people doing too much "helping people succeed" on their tests. And I've seen test requirements that made that likely (requiring 90% success rate, for instance). In a test purporting to test self-defense ability, there should be failure - like that guy getting mauled by the two "attackers". Fights are messy, and tests should be a little messy, too.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was awesome!

The instructor I mentioned in SC just helped a couple of weeks ago with one of those courses (he's also a purple belt in BJJ).

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

You got a black belt. Congratulations. Now its time to start learning the real stuff. Now the real fun begins.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The only sparring that I like is 1 vs 1. Anymore than that is going to be dangerous for all of those involved. On of the things I notice in when people spar1 vs 2, 1 vs 3, etc., is that they stop punching for the head.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Meanwhile in kudo.

I think it's like that because it's dangerous for the attacker. I'm going to fight harder against 2 people than I do against 1 person. 1 vs 1 may have pauses that don't exist in 2 vs 2 real world scenarios.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If it's truly 1-on-3 sparring of similar levels, the 3 should destroy the 1 in very short order.
I have to disagree with that. We just had a promotional testing this morning and my two students going for 1st Degree were both required to spar three opponents at once. The strategy is to "stack" the opponents so that you are effectively fighting only one at a time.

Now, if you miss the strategy and wind up as the monkey in the middle, then yeah, they will hand you your butt in fairly short order.