Effectiveness of Multiple Kicks

Lyhumn

White Belt
Reaction score
In popular movies and video games, I've sometimes seen a person kick their target multiple times without putting their kicking foot back on the ground. I have a hard time believing that this could be effective because it seems like there's hardly any space to create power or momentum for the kick. Am I wrong? With enough training could this be effective?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In popular movies and video games, I've sometimes seen a person kick their target multiple times without putting their kicking foot back on the ground. I have a hard time believing that this could be effective because it seems like there's hardly any space to create power or momentum for the kick. Am I wrong? With enough training could this be effective?
If you are getting them in the leg, they can't get footing to get you; so, a constant intermission to their mojo, is not a bad thing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well it won't have the "power" of a full swing, but that's not to say that the kicking action won't develop enough power to cause them pain, even knock them out. That would largely he depent on the development of both the muscles and the nervous system of the kicker. Think one inch punch and legs are much much stronger. Than your arms

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like punches, kicks can be thrown in combos. I just don't throw the same kick in a row very often. Then again, I'm not much of a kicker anyway.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What criteria are you using to judge effectiveness? The ability to end a fight with a knock out or the ability to score points on the judges score card or something else?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

With enough training. If you're talking about kicking twice with the same leg without putting it down, if you have good balance and core strength and whatnot, you can rechamber your leg for a second kick. If you're talking about jump kick, if you have the right timing, momentum, etc you can use the first kick to kind of launch you into the second one. In either case, though, at least in my experience, you usually end up with one strong kick and one weak kick.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Lyhumn.

You're not wrong in your thinking. One could make up the details of scenarios where it might seem like an option, or find an exception somewhere, but tactically, no, not really. It's been done, most commonly as a point in a match, and as a long time kicker I've worked on it, too, but nah.

There's usually not room, especially against an aggressive opponent, no momentum and very little opportunity to utilize one's body into the kick itself. Having the foot off the ground for a second kick puts you in an disadvantaged position, and for too long of a time. That second kick isn't going to be the "time it took for a kick" times two, it's going to be longer than that.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With enough training and enough of a skill difference a lot of things become functional. That said, there is a reason you don't see that sort of thing in full contact competition very often. Movies and video games are designed with entertainment, not realism in mind though. If you want to see what kicks work against a real opponent watch some kickboxing or MMA.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...I've sometimes seen a person kick their target multiple times without putting their kicking foot back on the ground. I With enough training could this be effective?

You want to learn to use multiple kicks off the lead leg in a functional way? Watch this. Old school. When I was in school back in the 70's, this guy was a legend. Still is:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It absolutely can have power. In mma they call it a question mark kick and it does have power and I've used it a number of times competing. Would I use it outside the ring? Probably not I wouldn't want my leg in the air for more time than needed and everything I'd throw in a street fight I'd use 100 percent power to end it quick so I wouldn't mess around with stuff like that and like you say fights aren't movies where your in the perfect fighting stance at the perfect range. You'll mainly be in tight and very rare will any kicks get above the waist

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depends on the kick combo that you are talking about.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like simple double kicks. Two front snap kicks in a row, for example. They work because the front snap kick develops power from the snap. Rechamber and the power is just as high for the second kick as the first.

I will say I've never done it sparring. Just doesn't seem to be time when I'm constantly changing distance and angle. I have thrown a mawashigeri and used it to spin into a a ushirogeri. It seems that once you 'miss' with a roundhouse kick, the opponent doesn't generally expect you to plant the leg that threw the kick, pivot, and immediately throw a hard back kick. Only works once in a sparring match, and I doubt very seriously that I'd try it in self-defense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A foot and leg is heavy. You dont have to nail people all that hard to mess with them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really like that "question mark kick", but that dude makes it look like a leg is supposed to do that ****.

I train with a guy who does that kick to me a lot. And it sucks. But yeah physical prerequisite.

1947659_10202438178969488_1336072105_n.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I train with a guy who does that kick to me a lot. And it sucks. But yeah physical prerequisite.

View attachment 20825
I could do that kick. The difference is mine would be half that speed, and the second kick would be to your ribs. I really hate the guy in the video... :: old man grumble ::

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Favourite Kicking Combos:

- Double Round Kick (Thigh, Head)
- Round Kick, Side Kick (Thigh, Head)
- Front Kick, Side Kick (Knee, Knee)
- Round Kick, Hook Kick (Body, Head)
- Double Front Kick (Knee, Head)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All that question mark kick is is a roundhouse to the head.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
All that question mark kick is is a roundhouse to the head.

Well, I don't know that much about titles of moves in TKD, but I think we used to consider a roundhouse a kick from the back foot. That was also almost always the leg that had about 70% of our weight. You could see it coming but if it connected with anything, if carried a lot of power.

But this is a little different than what people are talking about, just like the one above at post #14, and about the 14 minute mark in post #10. The setup is to kick low towards the ankle of low shin. You don't even have to connect. It would normally be expected that the kicker, when he pulls the leg back after the miss, is going to step all the way back to miss a quick counter attack. Instead, the kick comes to the head/face with pretty good power. Even if there is no knockout, it will rattle the opponent. Of course, you do need good balance at all times. I'm not sure that is always stressed these days. We were always taught to be perfectly balanced at all times, knowing that might shorten some kicks or punches. But it gave more power.

Jhoon Goo Rhee, in the mid-sixties, taught that kick. He had two signature kicks, one of which he demonstrated publicly. He would do a side kick to the face. It had so much power that his gi would strike his leg with enough force to make a loud crack. He would move his foot back a bit and kick again, with the same slap, and do that one more time before he returned to having both feet on the floor. Trust me, it was impressive and something the rest of us practiced. I don't recall anyone getting a slap on the first kick, much less a second or third kick, if we could keep our balance for a second or third, it still wouldn't have much power except for the first kick. So yes, it can be done. But not by many.