Competitioins and Sparring

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

My Kung fu instructor has recently started a Monday class which mostly focuses on San Shou and sparring and also self defence techniques. I've been becoming more involved with the sparring and I think I have great techniques. My Instructor thinks I should try and enter some competitions but I'm not sure. I guess he wouldn't say that if he didn't mean it! But I'm kind of put off by them because of what I hear from the people going to them, gettng hurt, too many rules and too far to travel! But then again it would improve my confidence but for now I'm just happy to spar in class and learn self defence.

S

sifu Adams

I think tournaments are great. It is a chance to test your skills on someone out side your system. That is the way it will be if you ever have to defend yourself for real. As for the rules. I hate them but if you go to a tournament to learn not to win then you sould be ok. Some tournament have the politics and you could win if you dragon sweep him your opponet and put him in a lock that turned him three shades of blue. But you and him would know you won and most of all you have learned that tech. will work on someone outside you system. I have my students goto the North American Federation of Martial Arts tournament. (NAFMA.com) they seem to be fair and even have a plan for a collage scolership program the are starting next year. Good luck

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm TKD, but I think our tournaments are geared very much for safety.
So, we have alot of rules, chest,head gear, groin cup etc. We rarely have anyone hurt. But it still is a possibility. Check with your sifu to see which are good beginner tournaments. It is great practice but is very different than sparring friends in class. Some people do take it too seriously that it has to be a win situation. If you go, just go for the experience and to have fun. I also just love to watch too! TW

V

Vadim

Hi Tony. I would say give it a shot. It's definitely a different environment and will allow you to use your techniques on new and different people that you dont get to regularly spar with in class. It will be a learning experience but I am sure you will have alot of fun. Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best.

-Vadim

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You could try Kung Fu only tournaments to start out. I personally like Open Style tournaments though. They're fun and it is intriguing to see all the different styles show-cased. There should be some open style tournaments not too far from you.

- Ceicei

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony said:
Hi Everyone

My Kung fu instructor has recently started a Monday class which mostly focuses on San Shou and sparring and also self defence techniques. I've been becoming more involved with the sparring and I think I have great techniques. My Instructor thinks I should try and enter some competitions but I'm not sure. I guess he wouldn't say that if he didn't mean it! But I'm kind of put off by them because of what I hear from the people going to them, gettng hurt, too many rules and too far to travel! But then again it would improve my confidence but for now I'm just happy to spar in class and learn self defence.

Hey Tony-

I'd give them a shot, as they are a great learning experience!! They definately have their pros and cons, but you won't know unless you give it a shot. The only way to form a good opinion of them, is to try them out.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Mike

Tournaments are fun to watch. Sparring is fun if there is no point system.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Sparring can be fun even with a point system, just so long as that isn't the only sparring you do.

Tony, so long as you can afford the tournament entry fees and travel expenses, I say just go have fun. The worst that'll probably happen is you'll earn a few bruises and learn something about yourself and your art.

Latest Discussions