How to Find a Wing Chun School That is Modernized

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score

I attended Sifu Mazza's TWC school briefly (10 mins away), along with the Moy Yat school in Chinatown (15 mins away), and ended up with a private instructor that attended the Moy Yat school. The private instruction was by far the best (no surprise there) and I got the most out of that. I only completed SLT though, and have since moved on to other things. He's a great Sifu IMO. I ordered a 5 step module last week based on JKD concepts by Sifu Harrinder Sing to work on at home.

This week I'm (yet again) trying an MMA gym out that has what I believe to be a nice kickboxing MMA program that incorporates western boxing, Muay Thai elements, wrestling and very basic BJJ that helps you get back on your feet and also avoid take downs. His approach is all about using what is most effective in a real street fight. He's also big on sparring. The TWC does no sparring that I'm aware of. Mazza's fight workshops are good. I attended two of them. If you'd like to know more of what I thought of each school shoot me a message.

As the good people on this site will tell you, and as you already seem to realize, you have to find your own way with this stuff and what works best for you. It can take time. I personally agree and like KPM's approach to mixing things with a boxing base. :)

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
I attended this school briefly (10 mins away), along with the Moy Yat school in Chinatown (15 mins away) and ended up with a private instructor that attended the Moy Yat school. The private instruction was by far the best and I got the most out of that. I only completed SLT though, and have since moved on to other things. I ordered a 5 step module based on JKD concepts by Sifu Harrinder Sing to work on at home. This week I'm (yet again) trying an MMA gym out that has what I believe to be a nice kickboxing MMA program that incorporates western boxing, Muay Thai elements, wrestling and very basic BJJ that helps you get back on your feet and also avoid take downs. His approach is all about using what is most effective in a real street fight. He's also big on sparring. The TWC does no sparring that I'm aware of. Mazza's fight workshops are good. I attended two of them. If you'd like to know more of what I thought of each school shoot me a message.

As the good people on this site will tell you, and as you already seem to realize, is that you have to find your own way with this stuff and what works best for you. It can take time. I personally agree and like KPM's approach to mixing things with a boxing base.

Yes attended yesterday and there isn’t sparring but like you said Mazza has fighting work shops that aren’t part of the training in the TWC school. Definitely not a fit for me as I prefer a boxing base. I’ll shoot you a message. Thanks!

Last edited:

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else, but when I talk about 'traditional' WC training I mean classes that are purely forms, chi sau and solo/cooperative drills. This, in my experience at least, seems to make up the bulk of it.

This is what the Ip Ching school I attended was like when I first joined it. Then I was absent for a while. When I came back, he had dropped the cooperative drills and did mostly forms and Chi Sao, although sometimes he would come up with a short drill to pay particular emphasis on one technique or another.

Latest Discussions