How to Find a Wing Chun School That is Modernized

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know what it is, but I disagree that it's going to really prepare you for anything. There's a huge difference between 'be ready for these three things' and 'be ready for anything'

No one can "be ready for anything"! ;)

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
No one can "be ready for anything"! ;)
Sure you can, in the context of a fight. But to do so requires a lot of training and even more sparring/fighting.

It applies to anything really. You can't get good at anything without doing it.

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
So that was more of a 'wow he's good' rather than a 'wow he sucks'?

Absolutely ‘wow he’s good’. Was taught similar years ago applying Bagua form and principles. The teacher left for the West coast and have never found anything similar.

Reactions: KPM

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely ‘wow he’s good’. Was taught similar years ago applying Bagua form and principles.
I'm sure he'll be happy to read that. I too think he's doing good work.

Reactions: KPM

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure he'll be happy to read that. I too think he's doing good work.

Thanks guys! If you had seen some of the responses I get on the FB "Wing Chun Forum", you would think I was some kind of Wing Chun pariah! ;-)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys! If you had seen some of the responses I get on the FB "Wing Chun Forum", you would think I was some kind of Wing Chun pariah! ;-)
When you find a cage comfortable, you might not like it when someone rattles it.

You know me though I'm all about that too. Rattle it till it falls apart brother.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sort of.

You can train concepts that don't require a specific situation to function.
It's

- easy to train how to escape an attack. All you will need is to step back.
- not easy to train how to take advantage on an attack. You will need to understand how to borrow your opponent's force.

SeekGuidance

White Belt
Reaction score
Interesting in Wing Chun but realize that it’s best to find a school that teaches real life applications and that Wing Chun could be modified to incorporate techniques like boxing and ground fighting. I’m in the Philly area. What’s the best way to find out if a school teaches not necessarily the traditional way but more adaptable in today’s world? Thanks!
The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to learn traditional Wing Chun and incorporate it with other techniques on your own. Everyone has a different style. People may train the same martial art, but there is always tiny things that people prefer to do that suits them better than anyone. I have picked up my fighting style from incorporating techniques from everything I have learnt. Every martial has something new to teach, and the best way to pick this teaching up is from tradition, I believe.

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to learn traditional Wing Chun and incorporate it with other techniques on your own. Everyone has a different style. People may train the same martial art, but there is always tiny things that people prefer to do that suits them better than anyone. I have picked up my fighting style from incorporating techniques from everything I have learnt. Every martial has something new to teach, and the best way to pick this teaching up is from tradition, I believe.

I’d like to know how KPM teaches.

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score

Don’t know. Depends on why you’re a practicing MA’ist. When I practiced years ago with the Bagua / boxing hybrid I wanted to learn self defense. We sparred a lot against different CMA’s and boxers. Other CMA’s were easy to beat for the most part. Boxers and Thai boxers another story.

Latest Discussions