How Tall Are You?

• Over 6 Foot

• 6 Foot Even

• Below 6 Foot

Results are only viewable after voting.

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's see, I'm right under 5 ft. 1 in., have to throw in that half inch there. Some of the techniques that involve head shots are not always convient or easy to execute, especially to much taller people. But what is ever better is when I can get my kicks up higher than some of the taller people in the dojo. That and you can sneak in close on them where they can't kick you unless they're REALLY flexible, and you can still reach them. :p

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hehehehehe Fuzzy. Thta's me (believe it or not at 5'8) Most of the guys in my dojang or taller, but I get in on them and they can't do nuttin hehehehe. Except for a dude named Joe ... a yellow belt that came from another style. He rocks. I can't do nuthin to him that he can't counter LOL.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

Last night I showed a friend of mine some of the stuff I've been
taught since I started kenpo 9 months ago. It was big time
awkward, because he's taller than I am, and it made me realize
how I was the tallest guy in my class. So now I'm curious as to
how tall m.a. types are. I'm 6 ft, which is SUPPOSEDLY average.
It makes me wonder why everyone in my class is short!

Me I'm 5'10"

You have me currious though, what about your "lesson" was awkward?

I usually have a little trouble with guys that are bigger and stronger because they like to show it off a little. You know the ones, they squeeze a lot harder on bear hugs, grab harder on grabs and never feel it when you hit or kick them (nicely). So, you just have to soften them up a little, kick a little harder, punch a little harder, slam an elbow or just really jump on that instep then they get the message. But I'm not saying your friend did any of this, just curious what troubles you had in your demostration.

:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Klondike93

Me I'm 5'10"

You have me currious though, what about your "lesson" was awkward?

I usually have a little trouble with guys that are bigger and stronger because they like to show it off a little. You know the ones, they squeeze a lot harder on bear hugs, grab harder on grabs and never feel it when you hit or kick them (nicely). So, you just have to soften them up a little, kick a little harder, punch a little harder, slam an elbow or just really jump on that instep then they get the message. But I'm not saying your friend did any of this, just curious what troubles you had in your demostration.

Blocking. In kenpo so far, we establish a base stance, and block
whatever is coming at us. For hook punches, we're told to "try
and touch the ear" .. which is what I told him to do. I barely got
the block in on time, because I immediately went low, and had to
adjust. It was damned near over my head! If someone my
height, or shorter was there, I would've given him a great open
target at my torso!

OP
S

sweeper

Klondike, sometimes people just have diffrent pain threshholds, or their nerves are just deadened or something like that, for example most attacks to my legs and feet don't realy hurt, as a result I don't realy know what's going to hurt my opoonant, the result is either a supper light kick or one that's to hard.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a note from a 'geek' engineer

Today, I found out that one of the big car companies looks at the average male being 5'9" and the average female being 5'6".

FYI

Rich

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper

Klondike, sometimes people just have diffrent pain threshholds, or their nerves are just deadened or something like that, for example most attacks to my legs and feet don't realy hurt, as a result I don't realy know what's going to hurt my opoonant, the result is either a supper light kick or one that's to hard.

I understand. My training partner has such a thick neck it's all most impossible to choke him :shrug:

OP
C

Chiduce

I'am 5'10'' tall. I guess that is somewhere close! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me, I'm 6' 2" about 215lbs. I find that most people I train with are shorter than I, but not by that much.

7sm

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Kirk

Blocking. In kenpo so far, we establish a base stance, and block
whatever is coming at us. For hook punches, we're told to "try
and touch the ear" .. which is what I told him to do. I barely got
the block in on time, because I immediately went low, and had to
adjust. It was damned near over my head! If someone my
height, or shorter was there, I would've given him a great open
target at my torso!

That is when you learn to duck. Just like we say in kenpo...Outer Rim Theory. If there is NO need to block it, then don't.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Klondike93

I understand. My training partner has such a thick neck it's all most impossible to choke him :shrug:

I have a partner that is shorter than i am, and WAY more stout. I can't even attempt to put him in a bear hug, or a full nelson. I feel sorry for anyone that even tries to do it. :)

OP
D

DireWolf

I'm 6'3 and it is a ***** getting shirts that are long enough! Every time I do a chin up at the gym up goes my shirt to about an inch over my navel. I hate it!

It has it's good side though...:D

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am 6'4" and have trouble finding clothes too.
My instructor had me come in one night and work with a guy who was 6'8" or 9". He was a former basketball player. It's been awhile since I felt short. It was an interesting experience.

And to answer the question about growing, I think I read somewhere men can grow until they are 20-21. I grew 2 inches my first year of college at 18, so that didn't sound unreasonable.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by LanceWildcat1

What I was referring to was that the men and women who developed these technique's were between 5 and 5 1/2 feet tall, I believe. At 5 feet 5 inches tall, I'm not average as far as caucasian males go. However, I think that I am about average heighth for an asian male. Some are taller, some are shorter.:asian:

Lance Hyatt
The supposed average height for North Korea is around 6', even when most have a poor diet so race doesn't play a role as it did. Hell, the tallest man currently or one of the tallest men is a North Korean at 7'8" or 7'9".

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
FYI, I'm 5'5", usually one of the shortest in my division at the Taekwondo tourneys I've competed in. If you're into sport TKD it definitely pays to be taller and slender with long legs. I know because these guys always seem to come at me with axe kicks looking to do some headhunting. I end up fighting in close quarters in those cases, gotta protect my melon ya know :boxing:

Anyway, if I can paraphrase that old saying, "It's not the size of the dog in a fight that matters,
it's the fight in the dog!" :ninja:

OP
G

GouRonin

I'm 5'8".

I like working with bigger people. Usually I get the old, "Aw, this little guy, I'll take it easy on him." Then after I hurt them they change their mind.
:rolleyes:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got the bad end of the gene pool. Only 5'7" and 153lbs. :eek: But I think I can still move kenpo good. ;)

Latest Discussions