How Tall Are You?

How Tall Are You?

• Over 6 Foot

• 6 Foot Even

• Below 6 Foot

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP

2maz

yeah, my girlfriend always comforts me, saing size really isn't that important.:rolleyes:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2maz

yeah, my girlfriend always comforts me, saing size really isn't that important.:rolleyes:

HAHA, thats great, as long as you have a good personality your ok!! :rolleyes:

7sm

OP
M

MartialArtist

I'm about 5'7" now. Used to be around 5'8" but now, eh. I'm still 190 with a 11% BF and I'm like lightning. Or I used to be as fast as lightning. Now I'm just thunder. :p

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
founders2.jpg

My friends make me look taller than I am (6').

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin

As Gou' said: "It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog..."

LOL, and for once he's right!

Originally posted by 2maz

yeah, my girlfriend always comforts me, saing size really isn't that important.

I dont know how you feel :p But there is help for your kind :D :rolleyes:

:rofl: :shrug: :asian:

OP
F

fissure

Do any of you find size presents a challenge when teaching class? I'm 6 feet, 215 lbs (33 in. waist).I find that over the years I have learnt to do things "my way" (please-don't break into song). When I teach large physical guys, I can show them things fairly easily. However, when instructing women and smaller guys (one of my yellow belt men is about 5' 5", 140lbs) it is sometimes hard to relate to the difference in size/strength, especially in grappling/ground work/ect.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not as big as you but basically, yes. I get away with things because of my size and strength. It's bad for me not only as an instructor but in some ways as a martial artist--in other ways, I'm making the style my own.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Me,

Since you guys asked, I'm 5'5", 148 lbs American :) I'm just a simple martial artist through and through. :asian:

I never disrespect anybody. However, as long as I've been training, nobody has ever fronted me. I guess, call it "Lil Man" syndrome if ya want, but, maybe I think it's just my TKD training.

Here, in L.A. that means a lot with all the crime and thuggery going on around these parts :mad:

I love my art, I respect what it means and everything it represents, and I respect other people. I try to always live the way of the do'.

As I've been instructed, it's the TKD way of life, you wanted it so you're in it now, live it, and always respect it....

OP
K

kija

I'm 5' neat!! This means I have to ensure my good technique is everything. I can't rely on reach or muscle. I do have flexibilty and agility. And I'm pretty strong, so I'm told. Deception and the element of surprise are on my side. The disadvantages are pretty obvious. I'd rather be different than average.

I learn the technique and then sometimes I need a variation to make it work for me. Or sometimes I realise I'm just not going to use a particular technique, ever. But that can give me a teaching advantage in knowing how the nuances can make something work for different people. I've tapped out three times in my groundfighting history due to being 'squished' by sheer body weight (I'm 50kg, they are usually 85-100kg). It means I have to be better - better techniques, better tactician, etc. Getting there :rolleyes:

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by MartialArtist
Now I'm just thunder.

Thunder is impressive... but lightning does all the work...

Meditate on this weedhopper...
:asian:

OP
F

fissure

I think the song goes.... "thunder makes the noise boys, but lightning does the work!":EG:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by GouRonin

Thunder is impressive... but lightning does all the work...

Meditate on this weedhopper...
:asian:
I'm not super fast as I used to be, but I'm like Thor, you never know what's coming :p

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kija

I'm 5' neat!! This means I have to ensure my good technique is everything. I can't rely on reach or muscle. I do have flexibilty and agility. And I'm pretty strong, so I'm told. Deception and the element of surprise are on my side. The disadvantages are pretty obvious. I'd rather be different than average.

I"ve got to agree with you here Kija. I'm barely 5' 1" so I know how weird it feels to do techniques that are made for people that over tower me. However, I do agree that deception and the element of surprise is on my side too. People tend to approach me a lot, I'm guessing it's probably because they see that I'm female and short and not harmful to anyone. I too have to tailor soem of the techniques to fit me, especially when I'm working with the taller guys in class, wait that's just about everybody in class.

Fissure: you mentioned that it's hard to work with smaller/shorter people on grappling/ground work. I was just wondering what was the difficulty in it? Is it you're afraid that too much strength would break them or is it that they need help on ground work and you're not too sure in how to help them due to their smaller sizes? The reason I ask is that I love the whole grappling thing. Other than my instructor the only other person that has been able to make me tap out is another higher ranking belt than me. I think that being small you almost have an advantage because you can squirm your way out of most of the holds that they put you in.

Being short can have it's disavantages like not being able to reach the top shelf in the kitchen, but when it comes to techniques I think that the person themselves has to be able to find their strengths and weaknesses and they shouldn't see their height as a weakness.

Jani:asian:

OP
B

bob919

12 stone = 168lbs that makes you lean but not stickfigury

i've just found out i have lost 10 pounds and yet i am stronger yah me!!!!

OP
T

Tony Starks

Ya im 6'3 and in my limalama class its funny to see a higher rank get intimidated of me when we spar, mainly because i know he could prolly hand me my booty. But being tall has its advantages like having that reach, in both arms and legs, which is a definite plus. But when i spar with some of my BJJ and Judo buddies, thats a different story because now they have longer limbs to contort. Thinking about it... ive never spared against someone taller than me, i should look into it, seems pretty interesting......

-T.S.

OP
D

Daniel

I'm about 5'10", maybe 5'11", I've never found it to really be a problem either way in training, I guess because I'm very near average in height and weight.

OP
F

fanged_seamus

I'm 6'1" and about 155 lbs. I found that I was taller than most, but not all, people in class.

My bigger problem was weight -- people in American Kenpo tend to be built like beer kegs, with lots of padding (no offense to any kenpoist in particular). I get hit and it's straight-up bone that's getting bruised.

Hmm...maybe I should have taken up TKD. Of course, not having the flexibility to kick even a pygmy in the groin probably would have hindered my development....
:shrug:

Tad

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was a thread recently in Chinese Martial Arts--General about whether Northern Kung Fu is particularly good for tall, thin people.

I do think different arts are better for different body types and different abilities in the areas of strength, speed, etc., though most arts are adaptable for most people. I've always been relatively slow so FMA isn't obviously the best match for me but I try to fit it to my skills!

Latest Discussions