How Much Does it Cost?

Discussion in 'Chinese Martial Arts - General' started by ShortBridge, Jan 24, 2017.

1. dvcochran

dvcochran Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    It's very refreshing to hear about such a fine young man. They are still out there but main stream media makes them harder to find. Congrats.

2. dvcochran

dvcochran Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    I hope to hear back the next time someone joins and hear how you approached all the cursory details.

3. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I never said I wouldn't be interested, at all - just less than you. And that works out well, as you might be a better fit for him anyway. Of course, with hindsight, who wouldn't be happy to have a student who has fit in well and continued training past where most quit - and making good progress. Good on both of you!

4. ShortBridge

ShortBridge Black Belt

It just goes to show what a guessing game it is with students.

I asked him last night what he remembered about contacting me and said mostly that he was nervous. I pointed out to him that he didn't ask about cost. He said that he was worried about it, but really wanted to train and was surprised that it was much less than he expected.

What I strive for really in this process is for the prospective student and I to both learn enough about each other to make our own best decisions. I direct a lot of people to other schools or teachers in this process, when I think that's best or sometimes just to see if they'll go.

I've been wanting to convert my site to Wordpress and I may do so this year and in the process update my language on things like dues.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Nice to see you back, ShortBridge. Even nicer to see that you're still teaching.

6. ShortBridge

ShortBridge Black Belt

Thank you, Buka.

7. evan.fedora

evan.fedora Yellow Belt

I have faced this for years, Now it does't hurt anymore, Wish You Luck for Future Though!!

8. Douwe Geluk

Douwe Geluk White Belt

@ShortBridge

I also run a school but only for Tai Chi Chuan and Chi Kung 'Bron van Geluk' in the Netherlands.

I often get that question also, what is the price. Well when they ask that, through email or the phone i just reply as follows:

Basically i say something like:
    --------------------------------
    Thank you for your email (call). The prices we have at our school are not expensive but we only give that information to people who actually do a trial lesson because only for those it matters.

A trial lesson is totally free, and after your trial lesson we can give you all the information you need to practise at our school, including the fees etc.

If you have more questions about our Tai Chi styles and our classes feel free to ask!

-------------------------

Then some route information to.my school and basically thats it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Why don't you want to give them that information up front? It actually matters to some - to those for whom you don't fit into the budget. If I know I have a certain amount I can afford to pay, there's not much sense going to trial lessons where the monthly fee is more than that amount.

10. Douwe Geluk

Douwe Geluk White Belt

Well internet is internet, many people who ask you for the prizes can be other schools as well.

i live by the idea that people should come for the quality of the lessons. Here in this country we can sometimes arrange an extra budget for people on wellfare.

Money should not be something we can not overcome.
    I teach because it is something i love to do, besides that i have a job.

I do not have.to make a living out of my classes.
    When people really need to know the prize they will ask again, and then i considder it.

If people do not want to come because i do not give prozes immediately then they can go.

When people really look for the arts at my school then they will try it anyway...

11. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I've never much worried about that. If they're going to set their prices to beat mine, I don't really think that's going to matter much.

I think most of us live by that precept. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they chose someplace primarily because it was inexpensive. I have, however, heard folks NOT choose someplace because they didn't have the money. Studies have shown that if people are conscious of cost, and cannot find the price, they don't usually go any further. So, not having the price available likely doesn't improve the chances of someone who can't afford it taking a trial lesson.

Shouldn't be, but for the folks wanting lessons, it sometimes is.
    Many of us on here are in the same situation. I've never really cared whether I make any money off my teaching. I'm not sure what that has to do with whether a prospective student can find out the price over the phone.
    That's reasonable.

I'm not sure that is aligned with how people who have a limited budget deal with things. Some folks find it embarrassing to ask what the price is, and find out they cannot afford it. The further into the process they get, the worse that feeling is. Some folks will avoid the trial lesson to avoid the possibility of that discomfort.

Please note I'm not saying there's anything wrong with not wanting to share the number. I'm just pointing out that it may not have the effect your post suggests. Not providing prices tends to make people more price-conscious. As long as you're aware of the effect, and your policy does what you need it to do, there's no reason to change it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Douwe Geluk

Douwe Geluk White Belt

Yes

I see well i think there is something to say for all ways.

On my website i have added the numbers now, i will see if that makes a difference.

Yes i never think my way is the right one, always willing to learn and adapt.

13. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I'd be interested to hear if you notice any difference - one way or the other - after the change. This is one of those areas where we can get information from studies, but it's hard to tell how closely it applies to what we do.

14. ShortBridge

ShortBridge Black Belt

It's really not just money, it's more the style of communication. I've had a flurry of interest and I briefly had a spot open for a new student (about 36 hours) for the first time in quite a while.

I try to be courteous to everyone who contacts me, but I don't feel that the general courteousness of those inquiring doesn't quite match the tone I'm setting. But I was only looking for one student, so it worked out.

Not a big deal really, I'm good.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    You make a good point. The attitude we perceive is more important than the actual question.

16. ShortBridge

ShortBridge Black Belt

Context first:

• I was just whining when I started this. Not really trying to solve anything.
    • I have the students that I want and need its not about getting more for me, though I do try to have positive interactions with people looking for training and if I can't make space for them, suggest other programs. This week, I even made a call to another teacher on someone's behalf.
    My new pet peeve is that I've had a small handful of inquiries/exchanges this year that go something like this:

Inquirer - "Hello, my name is xxxxx and I'd like to join your school. I am yyyy and very dedicated. I will be your best student, train night and day and do anything you require of me."

Me - "Thanks for the note, why don't you give me a call and let's talk about it."

Sworn dedicated student - <silence>

Sometimes they'll even email back or worse text me with something like "So, can I join?"

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Whining OP's are entirely permissible. Just don't expect us not to drag the thread in some direction we consider more useful....to us. :D

And continued whining will get commiseration, mockery, or most likely both.

To your point in this post, that's oddly un-unique to MA. I remember working with an insurance organization on their sales recruitment process. They'd get people saying they would surely be their top salesperson, that they really liked the business model, and were super-excited about the whole business plan. And that'd be the last they ever heard of them. ::SMH::

18. ShortBridge

ShortBridge Black Belt

Of course

I expect and deserve nothing less!

If I put my moaning aside for a second. I have a really good group of students and this process is probably helping make that the way it is. Probably a tax on me with a result worth having. Did I just type something optimistic on the internet? I must be late for my morning whiskey.

• Like Like x 1
  19. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

Wait...their name changed from xxxx to yyyy in a sentence? Thats your first warning sign.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. ShortBridge

ShortBridge Black Belt

"yyyy" represented some broad range of qualifications like "23 years old ... in amazing shape ... brilliant ... experienced ... exceptional in lots of ways that should matter to you"